An evolutionary algorithm for the estimation of threshold vector error correction models
AbstractWe develop an evolutionary algorithm to estimate Threshold Vector Error Correction models (TVECM) with more than two cointegrated variables. Since disregarding a threshold in cointegration models renders standard approaches to the estimation of the cointegration vectors inefficient, TVECM necessitate a simultaneous estimation of the cointegration vector(s) and the threshold. As far as two cointegrated variables are considered this is commonly achieved by a grid search. However, grid search quickly becomes computationally unfeasible if more than two variables are cointegrated. Therefore, the likelihood function has to be maximized using heuristic approaches. Depending on the precise problem structure the evolutionary approach developed in the present paper for this purpose saves 90 to 99 per cent of the computation time of a grid search.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal International Economics and Economic Policy.
Volume (Year): 8 (2011)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=111059
Threshold cointegration; Evolutionary algorithms; Genetic algorithms; Evolutionary strategies; C61; C32;
Other versions of this item:
- Makram El-Shagi, 2010. "An Evolutionary Algorithm for the Estimation of Threshold Vector Error Correction Models," IWH Discussion Papers, Halle Institute for Economic Research 1, Halle Institute for Economic Research.
- C61 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Optimization Techniques; Programming Models; Dynamic Analysis
- C32 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models; Diffusion Processes
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Serena Ng & Pierre Perron, 1997.
"Lag Length Selection and the Construction of Unit Root Tests with Good Size and Power,"
Boston College Working Papers in Economics, Boston College Department of Economics
369, Boston College Department of Economics, revised 01 Sep 2000.
- Serena Ng & Pierre Perron, 2001. "LAG Length Selection and the Construction of Unit Root Tests with Good Size and Power," Econometrica, Econometric Society, Econometric Society, vol. 69(6), pages 1519-1554, November.
- Manfred GILLI & Peter WINKER, .
"A review of heuristic optimization methods in econometrics,"
Swiss Finance Institute Research Paper Series, Swiss Finance Institute
08-12, Swiss Finance Institute.
- Manfred Gilli & Peter Winker, 2008. "Review of Heuristic Optimization Methods in Econometrics," Working Papers, COMISEF 001, COMISEF.
- Zhongjun Qu & Pierre Perron, 2006.
"A Modified Information Criterion for Cointegration Tests based on a VAR Approximation,"
Boston University - Department of Economics - Working Papers Series, Boston University - Department of Economics
WP2006-011, Boston University - Department of Economics.
- Qu, Zhongjun & Perron, Pierre, 2007. "A Modified Information Criterion For Cointegration Tests Based On A Var Approximation," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge University Press, vol. 23(04), pages 638-685, August.
- Baragona, R. & Battaglia, F. & Cucina, D., 2004. "Fitting piecewise linear threshold autoregressive models by means of genetic algorithms," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 47(2), pages 277-295, September.
- Nathan S. Balke & Thomas B. Fomby, 1992.
Research Paper, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas
9209, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- Balke, Nathan S & Fomby, Thomas B, 1997. "Threshold Cointegration," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 38(3), pages 627-45, August.
- Doherr, Thorsten & Czarnitzki, Dirk, 2002. "Genetic algorithms: a tool for optimization in econometrics - basic concept and an example for empirical applications," ZEW Discussion Papers 02-41, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Jamie Gascoigne, 2004. "Estimating threshold vector error-correction models with multiple cointegrating relationships," Working Papers, The University of Sheffield, Department of Economics 2004013, The University of Sheffield, Department of Economics, revised Nov 2004.
- Dorsey, Robert E & Mayer, Walter J, 1995.
"Genetic Algorithms for Estimation Problems with Multiple Optima, Nondifferentiability, and Other Irregular Features,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association,
American Statistical Association, vol. 13(1), pages 53-66, January.
- Michael B. Gordy, . "GA.M: A Matlab routine for function maximization using a Genetic Algorithm," Matlab codes, ga, , revised 12 Feb 1996.
- Jaya Krishnakumar & David Neto, 2009. "Estimation and Testing for the Cointegration Rank in a Threshold Cointegrated System," Research Papers by the Institute of Economics and Econometrics, Geneva School of Economics and Management, University of Geneva, Institut d'Economie et EconomÃ©trie, UniversitÃ© de GenÃ¨ve 2009.01, Institut d'Economie et Econométrie, Université de Genève.
- Hansen, Bruce E. & Seo, Byeongseon, 2002.
"Testing for two-regime threshold cointegration in vector error-correction models,"
Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier,
Elsevier, vol. 110(2), pages 293-318, October.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to replicate Hansen/Seo paper on threshold cointegration," Statistical Software Components RTZ00092, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Winker, Peter & Gilli, Manfred, 2004. "Applications of optimization heuristics to estimation and modelling problems," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 47(2), pages 211-223, September.
- Gonzalo, JesÃ¹s & Pitarakis, Jean-Yves, 2005. "Threshold effects In multivariate error correction models," Discussion Paper Series In Economics And Econometrics 0501, Economics Division, School of Social Sciences, University of Southampton.
- Schleer, Frauke, 2013. "Finding starting-values for maximum likelihood estimation of vector STAR models," ZEW Discussion Papers 13-076, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Kirstin Hubrich & Timo Teräsvirta, 2013. "Thresholds and Smooth Transitions in Vector Autoregressive Models," CREATES Research Papers 2013-18, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.