Estimating cointegrated systems using subspace algorithms
AbstractIn this paper the properties of so called subspace methods in the context of cointegrated processes of order one are investigated. It is shown that the algorithms deliver consistent estimates of the transfer function in the case of general VARMA models and under mild conditions on the underlying noise process. A procedure for the estimation of the dimension of the cointegrating space is presented and consistency for this procedure is proven. Also the estimation of the order of the system is discussed. Simulation examples demon- strate the usefulness of the subspace algorithms for the estimation of cointegrated systems.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Econometrics.
Volume (Year): 111 (2002)
Issue (Month): 1 (November)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jeconom
Other versions of this item:
- Dietmar Bauer & Martin Wagner, 2000. "Estimating Cointegrated Systems Using Subspace Algorithms," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 0293, Econometric Society.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Saikkonen, Pentti & Luukkonen, Ritva, 1997. "Testing cointegration in infinite order vector autoregressive processes," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 81(1), pages 93-126, November.
- Peter C.B. Phillips & Victor Solo, 1989. "Asymptotics for Linear Processes," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 932, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Wagner, Martin, 1999. "VAR Cointegration in VARMA Models," Economics Series 65, Institute for Advanced Studies.
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254.
- Peter C.B. Phillips, 1988.
"Optimal Inference in Cointegrated Systems,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
866R, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University, revised Aug 1989.
- Johansen, Soren, 1991. "Estimation and Hypothesis Testing of Cointegration Vectors in Gaussian Vector Autoregressive Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(6), pages 1551-80, November.
- Lutkepohl, Helmut & Saikkonen, Pentti, 1997.
"Impulse response analysis in infinite order cointegrated vector autoregressive processes,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 81(1), pages 127-157, November.
- H. Lütkepohl & P. Saikkonen, 1995. "Impulse Response Analysis in Infinite Order Cointegrated Vector Autoregressive Processes," SFB 373 Discussion Papers 1995,11, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Bierens, H.J., 1995.
"Nonparametric cointegration analysis,"
1995-123, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- repec:cup:etheor:v:8:y:1992:i:1:p:1-27 is not listed on IDEAS
- Saikkonen, Pentti, 1992. "Estimation and Testing of Cointegrated Systems by an Autoregressive Approximation," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 8(01), pages 1-27, March.
- Poskitt, Don S, 2000. "Strongly Consistent Determination of Cointegrating Rank via Canonical Correlations," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 18(1), pages 77-90, January.
- Lai, T. L. & Wei, C. Z., 1982. "Asymptotic properties of projections with applications to stochastic regression problems," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 346-370, September.
- Wagner, Martin, 1999. "Bierens' and Johansen's Method - Complements or Substitutes?," Economics Series 74, Institute for Advanced Studies.
- Phillips, Peter C B, 1995.
"Fully Modified Least Squares and Vector Autoregression,"
Econometric Society, vol. 63(5), pages 1023-78, September.
- Peter C.B. Phillips, 1993. "Fully Modified Least Squares and Vector Autoregression," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1047, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Christian Kascha & Karel Mertens, 2008.
"Business cycle analysis and VARMA models,"
2008/05, Norges Bank.
- Dietmar Bauer & Martin Wagner, 2003. "The Performance of Subspace Algorithm Cointegration Analysis: A Simulation Study," Diskussionsschriften dp0308, Universitaet Bern, Departement Volkswirtschaft.
- Peter C.B. Phillips, 2004.
"Automated Discovery in Econometrics,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1469, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Martin Wagner, 2004.
"A Comparison of Johansen's, Bierens' and the Subspace Algorithm Method for Cointegration Analysis,"
Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics,
Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 66(3), pages 399-424, 07.
- Martin Wagner, 2002. "A Comparison of Johansen's, Bierens and the Subspace Algorithm Method for Cointegration Analysis," Diskussionsschriften dp0210, Universitaet Bern, Departement Volkswirtschaft.
- Izquierdo, Segismundo S. & Hernández, Cesáreo & del Hoyo, Juan, 2006. "Forecasting VARMA processes using VAR models and subspace-based state space models," MPRA Paper 4235, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Martin Wagner, 2010.
"Cointegration analysis with state space models,"
AStA Advances in Statistical Analysis,
Springer, vol. 94(3), pages 273-305, September.
- Segismundo Izquierdo & Cesï¿½reo Hernï¿½ndez & Javier Pajares, 2005. "State Space Modelling of Cointegrated Systems using Subspace Algorithms," Econometrics 0509010, EconWPA, revised 07 Feb 2006.
- Bauer, Dietmar & Wagner, Martin, 2005.
"Autoregressive Approximations of Multiple Frequency I(1) Processes,"
174, Institute for Advanced Studies.
- Dietmar Bauer & Martin Wagner, 2005. "Autoregressive Approximations of Multiple Frequency I(1) Processes," Economics Working Papers ECO2005/09, European University Institute.
- Dietmar Bauer & Martin Wagner, 2003.
"A Canonical Form for Unit Root Processes in the State Space Framework,"
dp0312, Universitaet Bern, Departement Volkswirtschaft.
- Dietmar Bauer & Martin Wagner, 2002. "A Canonical Form for Unit Root Processes in the State Space Framework," Diskussionsschriften dp0204, Universitaet Bern, Departement Volkswirtschaft.
- Martin Wagner, 2008.
"On PPP, unit roots and panels,"
Springer, vol. 35(2), pages 229-249, September.
- Manfred Gilli & Peter Winker, 2008.
"Review of Heuristic Optimization Methods in Econometrics,"
- Manfred GILLI & Peter WINKER, . "A review of heuristic optimization methods in econometrics," Swiss Finance Institute Research Paper Series 08-12, Swiss Finance Institute.
- Mauricio, Jose Alberto, 2006. "Exact maximum likelihood estimation of partially nonstationary vector ARMA models," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 50(12), pages 3644-3662, August.
- Dietmar Bauer & Martin Wagner, 2002. "Asymptotic Properties of Pseudo Maximum Likelihood Estimates for Multiple Frequency I(1) Processes," Diskussionsschriften dp0205, Universitaet Bern, Departement Volkswirtschaft.
- Bauer, Dietmar & Wagner, Martin, 2009. "Using subspace algorithm cointegration analysis: Simulation performance and application to the term structure," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 53(6), pages 1954-1973, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.