Innovation Strategies in a Competitive Dynamic Setting
AbstractThis paper presents a dynamic model of a competitive R&D and production duopoly subject to knowledge spillovers. Two asymmetric firms operate for a limited period of time and dispose their knowledge capital in the end. Both firms and the social planner prefer the R&D-cooperative strategy over the competitive one regardless of the intensity of knowledge spillovers. Accumulation of knowledge capital results allows the monopolist to have lower marginal cost of production and charge a lower market price than a fully competitive duopoly. Being able to define the degree of knowledge exchange when creating a research joint venture, the firms do not necessary choose the highest degree of cooperation available.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by CESifo Group Munich in its series CESifo Working Paper Series with number 1395.
Date of creation: 2005
Date of revision:
innovation; R&D; spillovers; cooperation;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2005-02-20 (All new papers)
- NEP-COM-2005-02-20 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-GTH-2005-02-20 (Game Theory)
- NEP-INO-2005-02-20 (Innovation)
- NEP-MIC-2005-02-20 (Microeconomics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- AMIR, Rabah & EVSTIGNEEV, Igor & WOODERS, John, 2001.
"Noncooperative versus cooperative R&D with endogenous spillover rates,"
CORE Discussion Papers, UniversitÃ© catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE)
2001050, UniversitÃ© catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Amir, Rabah & Evstigneev, Igor & Wooders, John, 2003. "Noncooperative versus cooperative R&D with endogenous spillover rates," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 42(2), pages 183-207, February.
- AMIR, Rabah & EVSTIGNEEV, Igor & WOODERS, John, . "Noncooperative versus cooperative R&D with endogenous spillover rates," CORE Discussion Papers RP -1650, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Reinganum, Jennifer F., 1981.
"Dynamic games of innovation,"
Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier,
Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 21-41, August.
- Reinganum, Jennifer F., . "Dynamic Games of Innovation," Working Papers, California Institute of Technology, Division of the Humanities and Social Sciences 287, California Institute of Technology, Division of the Humanities and Social Sciences.
- Andrew Brod & Ram Shivakumar, 1997. "R&D Cooperation and the Joint Exploitation of R&D," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 30(3), pages 673-84, August.
- Salant, S.W. & Shaffer, G., 1997.
"Optimal Asymmetric Strategies in Research Joint Ventures,"
Papers, Michigan - Center for Research on Economic & Social Theory
97-06, Michigan - Center for Research on Economic & Social Theory.
- W. Salant, Stephen & Shaffer, Greg, 1998. "Optimal asymmetric strategies in research joint ventures," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 195-208, March.
- Suzumura, Kotaro, 1992. "Cooperative and Noncooperative R&D in an Oligopoly with Spillovers," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, American Economic Association, vol. 82(5), pages 1307-20, December.
- Kline, J.J., 1998.
"Research Joint Ventures and the Cost Paradox,"
Papers, Australian National University - Department of Economics
356, Australian National University - Department of Economics.
- Kline, J. Jude, 2000. "Research joint ventures and the cost paradox," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 18(7), pages 1049-1065, October.
- Hinloopen, Jeroen, 2000. "Strategic R&D Co-operatives," Research in Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 54(2), pages 153-185, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Julio Saavedra).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.