Testing Conditional Independence Via Empirical Likelihood
AbstractLet f(y|x,z) (resp. f(y|x) be the conditional density of Y given (X,Z) (resp. X). We construct a class of `smoothed` empirical likelihood-based tests for the conditional independence hypothesis: Pr[f(Y|X,Z)=f(Y|X)]=1. We show that the test statistics are asymptotically normal under the null hypothesis and derive their asymptotic distributions under a sequence of local alternatives. The tests are shown to possess a weak optimality property in large samples. Simulation results suggest that the tests behave well in finite samples. Applications to some economic and financial time series indicate that our tests reveal some interesting nonlinear causal relations which the traditional linear Granger causality test fails to detect.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Economics, UC San Diego in its series University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series with number qt35v8g0fm.
Date of creation: 01 Oct 2003
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 9500 Gilman Drive, La Jolla, CA 92093-0508
Phone: (858) 534-3383
Fax: (858) 534-7040
Web page: http://www.escholarship.org/repec/ucsdecon/
More information through EDIRC
Conditional Independence; b-mixing;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Nikolay Gospodinov & Taisuke Otsu, 2008.
"Local GMM Estimation of Time Series Models with Conditional Moment Restrictions,"
08010, Concordia University, Department of Economics.
- Gospodinov, Nikolay & Otsu, Taisuke, 2012. "Local GMM estimation of time series models with conditional moment restrictions," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 170(2), pages 476-490.
- Huang, Meng & Sun, Yixiao & White, Hal, 2013. "A Flexible Nonparametric Test for Conditional Independence," University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series qt3pt89204, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Taoufik Bouezmarni & Jeroen V.K. Rombouts & Abderrahim Taamouti, 2009.
"A Nonparametric Copula Based Test for Conditional Independence with Applications to Granger Causality,"
Cahiers de recherche
- Taoufik Bouezmarni & Jeroen V.K. Rombouts & Abderrahim Taamouti, 2011. "Nonparametric Copula-Based Test for Conditional Independence with Applications to Granger Causality," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 30(2), pages 275-287, October.
- BOUEZMARNI, Taoufik & ROMBOUTS, Jeroen & TAAMOUTI, Abderrahim, 2009. "A nonparametric copula based test for conditional independence with applications to Granger causality," CORE Discussion Papers 2009041, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Taoufik Bouezmarni & Jeroen V. K. Rombouts & Abderrahim Taamouti, 2009. "A nonparametric copula based test for conditional independence with applications to granger causality," Economics Working Papers we093419, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Economía.
- Taoufik Bouezmarni & Jeroen Rombouts & Abderrahim Taamouti, 2009. "A Nonparametric Copula Based Test for Conditional Independence with Applications to Granger Causality," CIRANO Working Papers 2009s-28, CIRANO.
- Kyungchul Song, 2007. "Testing Conditional Independence via Rosenblatt Transforms," PIER Working Paper Archive 07-026, Penn Institute for Economic Research, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania.
- Yoon-Jae Whang, 2003.
"Smoothed Empirical Likelihood Methods for Quantile Regression Models,"
- Whang, Yoon-Jae, 2006. "Smoothed Empirical Likelihood Methods For Quantile Regression Models," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 22(02), pages 173-205, April.
- Yoon-Jae Whang, 2004. "Smoothed Empirical Likelihood Methods for Quantile Regression Models," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1453, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- de Luna, Xavier & Waernbaum, Ingeborg, 2005. "Covariate selection for non-parametric estimation of treatment effects," Working Paper Series 2005:4, IFAU - Institute for Evaluation of Labour Market and Education Policy.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lisa Schiff).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.