An empirical likelihood goodness-of-fit test for time series
AbstractThe testing of a computing model for a stationary time series is a standard task in statistics. When a parametric approach is used to model the time series, the question of goodness-of-fit arises. In this paper, we employ the empirical likelihood for an a-mixing process and formulate a statistic test measures the goodness-of-fit of a parametric model. The technique is based on comparison with kernel smoothing estimators. The goodness of- fit test proposed is based on the asymptotics of the empirical likelihood, which has two attractive features. One is its automatic consideration of the variation associated with the nonparametric fit due to the empirical likelihood's ability to studentise internally. The other one is that the asymptotic distributions of the test statistic are free of unknown parameters which avoids secondary plug-in estimation. We apply the empirical likelihood based test to a discretised diffusion model which has been recently considered in financial market analysis. --
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes in its series SFB 373 Discussion Papers with number 2001,1.
Date of creation: 2000
Date of revision:
Empirical likelihood; Goodness-of-Fit Test; Nadaraya-Watson Estimator; Parametric Models; Power of Test; Square Root Processes; a-mixing; Weakly Dependence;
Other versions of this item:
- Song Xi Chen & Wolfgang Härdle & Ming Li, 2003. "An empirical likelihood goodness-of-fit test for time series," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 65(3), pages 663-678.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Gospodinov, Nikolay & Otsu, Taisuke, 2012.
"Local GMM estimation of time series models with conditional moment restrictions,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 170(2), pages 476-490.
- Nikolay Gospodinov & Taisuke Otsu, 2008. "Local GMM Estimation of Time Series Models with Conditional Moment Restrictions," Working Papers 08010, Concordia University, Department of Economics.
- Wenceslao González-Manteiga & Rosa Crujeiras, 2013. "An updated review of Goodness-of-Fit tests for regression models," TEST: An Official Journal of the Spanish Society of Statistics and Operations Research, Springer, vol. 22(3), pages 361-411, September.
- Gao, Jiti, 2007. "Nonlinear time series: semiparametric and nonparametric methods," MPRA Paper 39563, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 01 Sep 2007.
- Qi Li & Jeffrey Scott Racine, 2006. "Nonparametric Econometrics: Theory and Practice," Economics Books, Princeton University Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 8355.
- Delsol, Laurent & Ferraty, Frédéric & Vieu, Philippe, 2011. "Structural test in regression on functional variables," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 102(3), pages 422-447, March.
- Wang-Li Xu & Li-Xing Zhu, 2008. "Goodness-of-fit testing for varying-coefficient models," Metrika, Springer, vol. 68(2), pages 129-146, September.
- Juan Carlos Escanciano, 2004. "Model Checks Using Residual Marked Empirical Processes," Faculty Working Papers 13/04, School of Economics and Business Administration, University of Navarra.
- Escanciano, J. Carlos, 2006.
"A Consistent Diagnostic Test For Regression Models Using Projections,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 22(06), pages 1030-1051, December.
- Juan Carlos Escanciano, 2005. "A Consistent Diagnostic Test for Regression Models Using Projections," Faculty Working Papers 09/05, School of Economics and Business Administration, University of Navarra.
- Davit Varron & Ingrid Van Keilegom, 2011. "Uniform in bandwidth exact rates for a class of kernel estimators," Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics, Springer, vol. 63(6), pages 1077-1102, December.
- Chen, Songxi & Peng, Liang & Yu, Cindy, 2013. "Parameter Estimation and Model Testing for Markov Processes via Conditional Characteristic Functions," MPRA Paper 46273, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Song Xi Chen & Jiti Gao, 2010. "Simultaneous Testing of Mean and Variance Structures in Nonlinear Time Series Models," School of Economics Working Papers 2010-28, University of Adelaide, School of Economics.
- Peter Hall & Joel Horowitz, 2013. "A simple bootstrap method for constructing nonparametric confidence bands for functions," CeMMAP working papers CWP29/13, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Gao, Jiti & Gijbels, Irene, 2005. "Bandwidth selection for nonparametric kernel testing," MPRA Paper 11982, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Jun 2007.
- Cai, Zongwu & Hong, Yongmiao, 2003. "Nonparametric Methods in Continuous-Time Finance: A Selective Review," SFB 373 Discussion Papers 2003,15, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Gao, Jiti & King, Maxwell, 2003. "Estimation and model specification testing in nonparametric and semiparametric econometric models," MPRA Paper 11989, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Feb 2006.
- Arapis, Manuel & Gao, Jiti, 2004.
"Empirical comparisons in short-term interest rate models using nonparametric methods,"
11974, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 23 Dec 2005.
- Manuel Arapis & Jiti Gao, 2006. "Empirical Comparisons in Short-Term Interest Rate Models Using Nonparametric Methods," Journal of Financial Econometrics, Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 4(2), pages 310-345.
- Chen, Song Xi & Gao, Jiti, 2007. "An adaptive empirical likelihood test for parametric time series regression models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 141(2), pages 950-972, December.
- Hong, Yongmiao & Li, Haitao, 2002. "Nonparametric specification testing for continuous-time models with application to spot interest rates," SFB 373 Discussion Papers 2002,32, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Carlos Velasco, 2009. "Comments on: A review on empirical likelihood methods for regression," TEST: An Official Journal of the Spanish Society of Statistics and Operations Research, Springer, vol. 18(3), pages 455-457, November.
- Manuel Vega-Gordillo & José Luis Álvarez-Arce, 2005. "Heterogeneity In Economic Freedom: Free Clusters Or Free Countries," Faculty Working Papers 08/05, School of Economics and Business Administration, University of Navarra.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.