Distributional Effects of Boom-Bust Cycles in Developing Countries with FinancialFrictions
AbstractThis paper sheds light on the distributional implications of the exchange rate based stabilizations with financial imperfections when a country is populated by heterogeneous agents with respect to their source of income. This paper shows that boom-bust cycles in developing countries lead to income redistribution from tradable to nontradable sectors. Since the share of tradable sectors in aggregate GDP increases above its usual share with the devaluation of the currency, the individuals in tradable sectors pay more tax than what they receive as capital inflow in the expansion phase of the economy. The opposite holds for the individuals in nontradable sectors who gain more from the capital inflow as compared to what they lose from taxation
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Bogazici University, Department of Economics in its series Working Papers with number 2006/10.
Date of creation: Oct 2006
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Natuk Birkan Hall, Bebek, 34342 İstanbul
Phone: +90 (212) 359-6505
Fax: +90 (212) 287-2453
Web page: http://www.econ.boun.edu.tr/
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Aysan, Ahmet Faruk, 2006. "Distributional Effects of Boom-Bust Cycles in Developing Countries with Financial Frictions," MPRA Paper 5484, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- F34 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - International Lending and Debt Problems
- G15 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - International Financial Markets
- F41 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - Open Economy Macroeconomics
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Calvo, Guillermo A. & Drazen, Allan, 1998. "Uncertain Duration Of Reform," Macroeconomic Dynamics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 2(04), pages 443-455, December.
- Laura Alfaro, 2002. "On the Political Economy of Temporary Stabilization Programs," Economics and Politics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 14(2), pages 133-161, 07.
- Ricardo J. Caballero & Arvind Krishnamurthy, 1998.
"Emerging Market Crises: An Asset Markets Perspective,"
NBER Working Papers
6843, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Arvind Krishnamurthy & Ricardo J. Caballero, 1999. "Emerging Markets Crisis - An Asset Markets Perspective," IMF Working Papers 99/129, International Monetary Fund.
- Ricardo Caballero & Arvind Krishnamurthy, 1998. "Emerging Market Crises: An Asset Markets Perspective," Working papers 98-18, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Ricardo Caballero & Arvind Krishnamurthy, 1999. "Emerging Market Crises: An Asset Markets Perspective," Working papers 99-23, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Mendoza, Enrique G., 2000.
"On the Benefits of Dollarization when Stabilization Policy Is Not Credible and Financial Markets are Imperfect,"
00-01, Duke University, Department of Economics.
- Enrique G. Mendoza, 2000. "On the Benefits of Dollarization when Stabilization Policy is not Credible and Financial Markets are Imperfect," NBER Working Papers 7824, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Reinhart, Carmen M. & Vegh, Carlos A., 1995.
"Nominal interest rates, consumption booms, and lack of credibility: A quantitative examination,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 46(2), pages 357-378, April.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Vegh, Carlos, 1995. "Nominal interest rates, consumption booms, and lack of credibility: A quantitative examination," MPRA Paper 13898, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Elhanan Helpman & Assaf Razin, 1987.
"Exchange Rate Management: Intertemporal Tradoffs,"
NBER Working Papers
1590, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Aysan, Ahmet Faruk, 2006.
"The Role of Distribution of the Income Shares of Individuals in Tradables and Nontradables on Exchange Rate Fluctuations and Delay of Stabilizations,"
5485, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ahmet Faruk Aysan, 2006. "The Role of Distribution of the Income Shares of Individuals in Tradables and Nontradables on Exchange Rate Fluctuations and Delay of Stabilizations," Working Papers 2006/11, Bogazici University, Department of Economics.
- Uribe, Martin, 1997.
"Exchange-rate-based inflation stabilization: The initial real effects of credible plans,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 39(2), pages 197-221, July.
- Martin Uribe, 1995. "Exchange-rate based inflation stabilization: the initial real effects of credible plans," International Finance Discussion Papers 503, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Drazen, Allan & Helpman, Elhanan, 1987. "Stabilization with Exchange Rate Management," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 102(4), pages 835-55, November.
- Mendoza, Enrique G. & Uribe, Martin, 2000. "Devaluation risk and the business-cycle implications of exchange-rate management," Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 53(1), pages 239-296, December.
- Dornbusch, Rudiger, 1982. "Stabilization policies in developing countries: What have we learned?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 10(9), pages 701-708, September.
- Guillermo A. Calvo & Allan Drazen, 1997. "Uncertain Duration of Reform: Dynamic Implications," NBER Working Papers 5925, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Calvo, Guillermo A, 1986. "Temporary Stabilization: Predetermined Exchange Rates," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 94(6), pages 1319-29, December.
- repec:cup:macdyn:v:2:y:1998:i:4:p:443-55 is not listed on IDEAS
- Rodriguez, Carlos Alfredo, 1982. "The Argentine stabilization plan of December 20th," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 10(9), pages 801-811, September.
- McKinnon, Ronald I & Pill, Huw, 1997. "Credible Economic Liberalizations and Overborrowing," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 87(2), pages 189-93, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lutfu Gozgucu).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.