Copula-Based Nonlinear Quantile Autoregression
AbstractParametric copulas are shown to be attractive devices for specifying quantile autoregressive models for nonlinear time-series. Estimation of local, quantile-specific copula-based time series models offers some salient advantages over classical global parametric approaches. Consistency and asymptotic normality of the proposed quantile estimators are established under mild conditions, allowing for global misspecification of parametric copulas and marginals, and without assuming any mixing rate condition. These results lead to a general framework for inference and model specification testing of extreme conditional value-at-risk for financial time series data.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Boston College Department of Economics in its series Boston College Working Papers in Economics with number 691.
Length: 31 pages
Date of creation: 08 Oct 2008
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Boston College, 140 Commonwealth Avenue, Chestnut Hill MA 02467 USA
Web page: http://fmwww.bc.edu/EC/
More information through EDIRC
Quantile autoregression; Copula; Ergodic nonlinear Markov models;
Other versions of this item:
- Xiaohong Chen & Roger Koenker & Zhijie Xiao, 2008. "Copula-based nonlinear quantile autoregression," CeMMAP working papers CWP27/08, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Xiaohong Chen & Roger Koenker & Zhijie Xiao, 2008. "Copula-Based Nonlinear Quantile Autoregression," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1679, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- C10 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - General
- C13 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Estimation: General
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models &bull Diffusion Processes
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-10-28 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2008-10-28 (Econometrics)
- NEP-ETS-2008-10-28 (Econometric Time Series)
- NEP-ORE-2008-10-28 (Operations Research)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pollard, David, 1985. "New Ways to Prove Central Limit Theorems," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 1(03), pages 295-313, December.
- Koenker, Roger & Xiao, Zhijie, 2006. "Quantile Autoregression," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 101, pages 980-990, September.
- Koenker,Roger, 2005.
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521845731, November.
- Weiss, Andrew A., 1991. "Estimating Nonlinear Dynamic Models Using Least Absolute Error Estimation," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 7(01), pages 46-68, March.
- Hansen, Lars Peter & Heaton, John & Luttmer, Erzo G J, 1995.
"Econometric Evaluation of Asset Pricing Models,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 8(2), pages 237-74.
- Engle, Robert F & Manganelli, Simone, 1999.
"CAViaR: Conditional Autoregressive Value at Risk by Regression Quantiles,"
University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series
qt06m3d6nv, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Robert F. Engle & Simone Manganelli, 2004. "CAViaR: Conditional Autoregressive Value at Risk by Regression Quantiles," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 22, pages 367-381, October.
- Robert Engle & Simone Manganelli, 2000. "CAViaR: Conditional Autoregressive Value at Risk by Regression Quantiles," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 0841, Econometric Society.
- Beare, Brendan, 2008. "Copulas and Temporal Dependence," University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series qt2880q2jq, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Chen, Xiaohong & Fan, Yanqin, 2006. "Estimation of copula-based semiparametric time series models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 130(2), pages 307-335, February.
- Andrew J. Patton, 2006.
"Modelling Asymmetric Exchange Rate Dependence,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 47(2), pages 527-556, 05.
- Beare, Brendan K. & Seo, Juwon, 2012. "Time irreversible copula-based Markov Models," University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series qt31f8500p, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Dirk G Baur, 2012.
"The Structure and Degree of Dependence - A Quantile Regression Approach,"
Working Paper Series
170, Finance Discipline Group, UTS Business School, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Baur, Dirk G., 2013. "The structure and degree of dependence: A quantile regression approach," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 786-798.
- Beare, Brendan K., 2010. "Archimedean Copulas and Temporal Dependence," University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series qt0xh8q1g3, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Xiaohong Chen & Wei Biao Wu & Yanping Yi, 2009. "Efficient Estimation of Copula-based Semiparametric Markov Models," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1691, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University, revised Mar 2009.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.