Copulas and Temporal Dependence
AbstractAn emerging literature in time series econometrics concerns the modeling of potentially nonlinear temporal dependence in stationary Markov chains using copula functions. We obtain sufficient conditions for a geometric rate of mixing in models of this kind. Geometric β-mixing is established under a rather strong sufficient condition that rules out asymmetry and tail dependence in the copula function. Geometric ρ-mixing is obtained under a weaker condition that permits both asymmetry and tail dependence. We verify one or both of these conditions for a range of parametric copula functions that are popular in applied work. Copyright 2010 The Econometric Society.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Econometric Society in its journal Econometrica.
Volume (Year): 78 (2010)
Issue (Month): 1 (01)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Margaret Meyer & Bruno Strulovici, 2013.
"The Supermodular Stochastic Ordering,"
Economics Series Working Papers
655, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Meyer, Margaret A & Strulovici, Bruno, 2013. "The Supermodular Stochastic Ordering," CEPR Discussion Papers 9486, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Margaret Meyer & Bruno Strulovici, 2013. "The Supermodular Stochastic Ordering," Discussion Papers 1563, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Righi, Marcelo Brutti & Ceretta, Paulo Sergio, 2013. "Estimating non-linear serial and cross-interdependence between financial assets," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 837-846.
- Beatriz Vaz de Melo Mendes & Cecília Aíube, 2011. "Copula based models for serial dependence," International Journal of Managerial Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 7(1), pages 68-82, February.
- Berghaus, Betina & Bücher, Axel, 2014. "Nonparametric tests for tail monotonicity," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 180(2), pages 117-126.
- Cherubini, Umberto & Mulinacci, Sabrina & Romagnoli, Silvia, 2011. "A copula-based model of speculative price dynamics in discrete time," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 102(6), pages 1047-1063, July.
- Beare, Brendan K. & Seo, Juwon, 2012. "Time irreversible copula-based Markov Models," University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series qt31f8500p, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- repec:dgr:uvatin:2011125 is not listed on IDEAS
- Beare, Brendan K., 2010. "Archimedean Copulas and Temporal Dependence," University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series qt0xh8q1g3, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Oleg Sokolinskiy & Dick van Dijk, 2011. "Forecasting Volatility with Copula-Based Time Series Models," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 11-125/4, Tinbergen Institute.
- Sebastian Kiwitt & Natalie Neumeyer, 2013. "A note on testing independence by a copula-based order selection approach," TEST: An Official Journal of the Spanish Society of Statistics and Operations Research, Springer, vol. 22(1), pages 62-82, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.