Coping with a Complex Global Environment: a Brazilian perspective on emerging market issues
AbstractThis policy paper reviews the rationale for emerging market economies adopting macroprudential policies in an unstable global environment. Monetary policy in these economies is discussed with reference to its complex interaction with global events and spillovers. In particular, the paper describes and discusses macroprudential and monetary policies adopted in Brazil in 2009-10. The paper also reviews the market turbulences caused by the fiscal limit problem in some advanced economies in 2011-12 and explores its consequences for emerging market economies, in particular for Brazil, highlighting the role of macroprudential measures under such circumstances. Global coordination issues are also addressed from an emerging market point of view. Commodity prices, inflation and growth prospects for emerging markets will be discussed as well under a complex and volatile global liquidity environment.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Central Bank of Brazil, Research Department in its series Working Papers Series with number 292.
Date of creation: Oct 2012
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.bcb.gov.br/?english
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-10-13 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Emanuel Kohlscheen, 2009.
"Emerging Floaters: Pass-Throughs and (Some) New Commodity Currencies,"
WEF Working Papers
0049, ESRC World Economy and Finance Research Programme, Birkbeck, University of London.
- Kohlscheen, Emanuel, 2010. "Emerging floaters: Pass-throughs and (some) new commodity currencies," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(8), pages 1580-1595, December.
- Kohlscheen, E, 2009. "Emerging Floaters : Pass-Throughs and (Some) New Commodity Currencies," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 905, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Emanuel Kohlscheen, 2010. "Emerging Floaters: pass-throughs and (some) new commodity currencies," Working Papers Series 224, Central Bank of Brazil, Research Department.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Rogoff, Kenneth, 2010.
"Growth in a Time of Debt,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
7661, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Caballero, Ricardo J. & Antras, Pol, 2007.
"Trade and Capital Flows: A Financial Frictions Perspective,"
3264875, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Pol Antràs & Ricardo J. Caballero, 2009. "Trade and Capital Flows: A Financial Frictions Perspective," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 117(4), pages 701-744, 08.
- Pol Antràs & Ricardo J. Caballero, 2007. "Trade and Capital Flows: A Financial Frictions Perspective," NBER Working Papers 13241, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Huixin Bi, 2010.
"Sovereign Default Risk Premia, Fiscal Limits and Fiscal Policy,"
Caepr Working Papers
2010-007, Center for Applied Economics and Policy Research, Economics Department, Indiana University Bloomington.
- Bi, Huixin, 2012. "Sovereign default risk premia, fiscal limits, and fiscal policy," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 56(3), pages 389-410.
- Huixin Bi, 2011. "Sovereign Default Risk Premia, Fiscal Limits and Fiscal Policy," Working Papers 11-10, Bank of Canada.
- Caballero, Ricardo J. & Krishnamurthy, Arvind, 2006.
"Bubbles and capital flow volatility: Causes and risk management,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 53(1), pages 35-53, January.
- Ricardo J. Caballero & Arvind Krishnamurthy, 2005. "Bubbles and Capital Flow Volatility: Causes and Risk Management," NBER Working Papers 11618, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Markus K. Brunnermeier & Stefan Nagel & Lasse H. Pedersen, 2008.
"Carry Trades and Currency Crashes,"
NBER Working Papers
14473, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Emanuel Kohlscheen, 2013.
"Order Flow and the Real: Indirect Evidence of the Effectiveness of Sterilized Interventions,"
BIS Working Papers
426, Bank for International Settlements.
- Emanuel Kohlscheen, 2012. "Order Flow and the Real: Indirect Evidence of the Effectiveness of Sterilized Interventions," Working Papers Series 273, Central Bank of Brazil, Research Department.
- Nicolas E. Magud & Carmen M. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2011.
"Capital Controls: Myth and Reality - A Portfolio Balance Approach,"
NBER Working Papers
16805, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Nicolas E. Magud E. & Carmen M. & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2011. "Capital Controls: Myth and Reality--A Portfolio Balance Approach," Working Paper Series WP11-7, Peterson Institute for International Economics.
- Arnildo da Silva Correa & André Minella, 2010.
"Nonlinear mechanisms of the exchange rate pass-through: A Phillips curve model with threshold for Brazil,"
Revista Brasileira de Economia,
FGV/EPGE Escola Brasileira de Economia e Finanças, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil), vol. 64(3), pages 231-243, September.
- Arnildo da Silva Correa & André Minella, 2006. "Nonlinear Mechanisms of the Exchange Rate Pass-Through: a Phillips curve model with threshold for Brazil," Working Papers Series 122, Central Bank of Brazil, Research Department.
- Eric M. Leeper, 2010.
"Monetary science, fiscal alchemy,"
Proceedings - Economic Policy Symposium - Jackson Hole,
Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, pages 361-434.
- Cambell Leith & Simon Wren-Lewis, 2006.
" The Optimal Monetary Policy Response to Exchange Rate Misalignments,"
CDMA Conference Paper Series
0605, Centre for Dynamic Macroeconomic Analysis.
- Simon Wren-Lewis & Campbell Leith, 2007. "The Optimal Monetary Policy Response to Exchange Rate Misalignments," Economics Series Working Papers 305, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Reinhart, Vincent, 1999.
"On the use of reserve requirements in dealing with capital flow problems,"
13703, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Reinhart, Carmen M & Reinhart, Vincent R, 1999. "On the Use of Reserve Requirements in Dealing with Capital Flow Problems," International Journal of Finance & Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 4(1), pages 27-54, January.
- Mendoza, Enrique G., 1997. "Terms-of-trade uncertainty and economic growth," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 54(2), pages 323-356, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Benjamin Tabak).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.