Measuring Inflation Persistence in Brazil Using a Multivariate Model
AbstractWe estimate inflation persistence in Brazil in a multivariate framework of unobserved components, accounting for the following sources affecting inflation persistence: Deviations of expectations from the actual policy target; persistence of the factors driving inflation; and the usual intrinsic measure of persistence, evaluated through lagged inflation terms. Data on inflation, output and interest rates are decomposed into unobserved components. To simplify the estimation of a great number of unknown variables, we employ Bayesian analysis. Our results indicate that expectations-based persistence matters considerably for inflation persistence in Brazil
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Central Bank of Brazil, Research Department in its series Working Papers Series with number 331.
Date of creation: Nov 2013
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.bcb.gov.br/?english
Other versions of this item:
- Vicente da Gama Machado & Marcelo Savino Portugal, 2014. "Measuring inflation persistence in Brazil using a multivariate model," Revista Brasileira de Economia, FGV/EPGE Escola Brasileira de Economia e Finanças, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil), vol. 68(2), pages 225-241, June.
- NEP-ALL-2013-12-20 (All new papers)
- NEP-CBA-2013-12-20 (Central Banking)
- NEP-LAM-2013-12-20 (Central & South America)
- NEP-MAC-2013-12-20 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-MON-2013-12-20 (Monetary Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Benjamin M. Tabak & Solange M. Guerra & Rodrigo C. Miranda & Sergio Rubens S. de Souza, 2012. "Stress Testing Liquidity Risk: The Case of the Brazilian Banking System," Working Papers Series 302, Central Bank of Brazil, Research Department.
- Bruno Martins, 2012. "Local Market Structure and Bank Competition: evidence from the Brazilian auto loan market," Working Papers Series 299, Central Bank of Brazil, Research Department.
- Papadimitriou, Theophilos & Gogas, Periklis & Tabak, Benjamin M., 2013.
"Complex networks and banking systems supervision,"
Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications,
Elsevier, vol. 392(19), pages 4429-4434.
- Guillén, Osmani Teixeira de Carvalho & Hecq, Alain & Issler, João Victor & Saraiva, Diogo, 2013. "Forecasting multivariate time series under present-value-model short- and long-run co-movement restrictions," Economics Working Papers (Ensaios Economicos da EPGE) 742, FGV/EPGE Escola Brasileira de Economia e Finanças, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
- Bruno Martins & Ricardo Schechtman, 2013. "Loan Pricing Following a Macro Prudential Within-Sector Capital Measure," Working Papers Series 323, Central Bank of Brazil, Research Department.
- Durevall, Dick, 1998.
"Inertial Inflation, Indexation and Price Stickiness: Evidence from Brazil,"
Working Papers in Economics
8, University of Gothenburg, Department of Economics.
- Durevall, Dick, 1999. "Inertial inflation, indexation and price stickiness: evidence from Brazil," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(2), pages 407-421, December.
- Jacopo Ponticelli & Leonardo S. Alencar, 2013. "Celeridade do Sistema Judiciário e Créditos Bancários para as Indústrias de Transformação," Working Papers Series 327, Central Bank of Brazil, Research Department.
- Waldyr Dutra Areosa & Christiano Arrigoni Coelho, 2013. "Using a DSGE Model to Assess the Macroeconomic Effects of Reserve Requirements in Brazil," Working Papers Series 303, Central Bank of Brazil, Research Department.
- Ana Katarina Campêlo & Francisco Cribari-Neto, 2003. "Inflation Inertia and Inliers: The Case of Brazil," Revista Brasileira de Economia, FGV/EPGE Escola Brasileira de Economia e Finanças, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil), vol. 57(4), pages 713-739, October.
- Marcos Valli Jorge & Wilfredo Leiva Maldonado, 2013.
"Price Differentiation and Menu Costs in Credit Card Payments,"
Working Papers Series
315, Central Bank of Brazil, Research Department.
- Marcos Valli Jorge & Wilfredo Leiva Maldonado, 2012. "Price Differentiation and Menu Costs in Credit Card Payments," ANU Working Papers in Economics and Econometrics 2012-592, Australian National University, College of Business and Economics, School of Economics.
- Sin, Hui Lok & Gaglianone, Wagner Piazza, 2006. "Stochastic simulation of a DSGE model for Brazil," MPRA Paper 20853, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Emanuel Kohlscheen, 2013. "Long-Run Determinants of the Brazilian Real: a closer look at commodities," Working Papers Series 314, Central Bank of Brazil, Research Department.
- Emanuel Kohlscheen & Sandro C. Andrade, 2013. "Official Interventions through Derivatives: affecting the demand for foreign exchange," Working Papers Series 317, Central Bank of Brazil, Research Department.
- Dossche, Maarten & Everaert, Gerdie, 2005.
"Measuring inflation persistence: a structural time series approach,"
Working Paper Series
0495, European Central Bank.
- Maarten Dossche & Gerdie Everaert, 2005. "Measuring Inflation Persistence: A Structural Time Series Approach," Computing in Economics and Finance 2005 459, Society for Computational Economics.
- M. Dossche & G. Everaert, 2005. "Measuring inflation persistence: a structural time series approach," Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium 05/340, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Maarten Dossche & Gerdie Everaert, 2005. "Measuring inflation persistence: A structural time series approach," Money Macro and Finance (MMF) Research Group Conference 2005 85, Money Macro and Finance Research Group.
- Maarten Dossche & Gerdie Everaert, 2005. "Measuring inflation persistence: a structural time series approach," Working Paper Research 70, National Bank of Belgium.
- Paulo Roberto de Sampaio Alves & Francisco Marcos Rodrigues Figueiredo & Antonio Negromonte Nascimento Junior & Leonardo Pio Perez, 2013. "Preços Administrados: projeção e repasse cambial," Working Papers Series 305, Central Bank of Brazil, Research Department.
- Sergio A. Lago Alves, 2013. "Is the Divine Coincidence Just a Coincidence? The Implications of Trend Inflation," Working Papers Series 329, Central Bank of Brazil, Research Department.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Francisco Marcos Rodrigues Figueiredo).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.