The multiplicity of goals in tree-cultivating farms in Greece
AbstractThe aim of this study is the elicitation of farmers’ goals through a multi-criteria weighted programming model. This is pursued in the area of Ancient Epidaurus (Peloponnesus), where farming systems comprise various combinations of tree crops, such as olive-, orange- and mandarin- groves. The analysis is carried out at the level of four representative farms, whose members have a multiplicity of on- and off- farm employment opportunities. Research findings indicate that farms with tree crops aim at the achievement of multiple goals. Both components of the composite entity family farm/farm household are represented at the decision-making process, by means of including manifold objectives. Minimization of variable expenses and attainment of a living standardareprioritized as the most important ones. The identification of sets of hierarchical goals for different types of farms/households goes beyond the conventional-simplistic hypothesis of profit maximization in all different farm entities, pointing towards a satisficing behavior.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Agricultural University of Athens, Department Of Agricultural Economics in its series Working Papers with number 2013-2.
Length: 22 pages
Date of creation: 2013
Date of revision:
Farmers’ objectives; goal programming; satisficing; bounded rationality; Argolida; Greece;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- Q12 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Micro Analysis of Farm Firms, Farm Households, and Farm Input Markets
- B5 - Schools of Economic Thought and Methodology - - Current Heterodox Approaches
- C61 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Optimization Techniques; Programming Models; Dynamic Analysis
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Berbel, J. & Rodriguez-Ocana, A., 1998. "An MCDM approach to production analysis: An application to irrigated farms in Southern Spain," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 107(1), pages 108-118, May.
- Simon, Herbert A., 1978.
"Rational Decision-Making in Business Organizations,"
Nobel Prize in Economics documents, Nobel Prize Committee
1978-1, Nobel Prize Committee.
- Simon, Herbert A, 1979. "Rational Decision Making in Business Organizations," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, American Economic Association, vol. 69(4), pages 493-513, September.
- Gomez-Limon, Jose A. & Arriaza, Manuel & Riesgo, Laura, 2003. "An MCDM analysis of agricultural risk aversion," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 151(3), pages 569-585, December.
- D. Latinopoulos, 2008. "Estimating the Potential Impacts of Irrigation Water Pricing Using Multicriteria Decision Making Modelling. An Application to Northern Greece," Water Resources Management, Springer, Springer, vol. 22(12), pages 1761-1782, December.
- Arriaza, M. & Gomez-Limon, J. A., 2003. "Comparative performance of selected mathematical programming models," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 77(2), pages 155-171, August.
- Oliver Musshoff & Norbert Hirschauer, 2011. "A behavioral economic analysis of bounded rationality in farm financing decisions: First empirical evidence," Agricultural Finance Review, Emerald Group Publishing, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 71(1), pages 62-83, May.
- J. Brassier & E. Chia & E. Marshall & M. Petit, 1991. "Gestion de l'exploitation agricole familiale et pratiques des agriculteurs: Vers une nouvelle théorie de la gestion," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 39(2), pages 119-135, 07.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kremmydas dimitrios).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.