Utility-derived Supply Function of Sheep Milk: The Case of Etoloakarnania, Greece
AbstractSheep farming is an important agricultural activity in Greece, since it contributes significantly to the country’s gross agricultural production value. Recently, sheep milk production received further attention because of the increased demand for feta cheese and also because of the excessive price level suffered by consumers, in contrast with the prices paid at the farm level. In this study, we suggest the use of multicriteria analysis to estimate the supply response of sheep milk to price. The study focuses in the Prefecture of Etoloakarnania, located in Western Greece, where sheep farming is a common and traditional activity. A non-interactive technique is used to elicit farmers’ individual utility functions which are then optimized parametrically subject to technico-economic constraints, to estimate the supply function of sheep milk. Detailed data from selected farms, representing different farm types and management strategies, have been used in the analysis. The results indicate that the multicriteria model reflects the actual operation of the farms more accurately than the gross margin maximization model and therefore leads to a more robust estimation of the milk supply.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Agricultural University of Athens, Department Of Agricultural Economics in its series Working Papers with number 2009-11.
Length: 22 pages
Date of creation: 2009
Date of revision:
Sheep-farming; multi-criteria; utility function; milk supply;
Other versions of this item:
- Stelios, Rozakis & Alexandra, Sintori & Konstantinos, Tsiboukas, 2009. "Utility-derived Supply Function of Sheep Milk: The Case of Etoloakarnania, Greece," 113th Seminar, September 3-6, 2009, Chania, Crete, Greece 58126, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- C61 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Optimization Techniques; Programming Models; Dynamic Analysis
- D21 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Firm Behavior: Theory
- Q12 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Micro Analysis of Farm Firms, Farm Households, and Farm Input Markets
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gomez-Limon, J. A. & Berbel, J., 2000. "Multicriteria analysis of derived water demand functions: a Spanish case study," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 63(1), pages 49-72, January.
- Gomez-Limon, Jose A. & Riesgo, Laura, 2004. "Irrigation water pricing: differential impacts on irrigated farms," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 31(1), pages 47-66, July.
- Gomez-Limon, Jose A. & Arriaza, Manuel & Riesgo, Laura, 2003. "An MCDM analysis of agricultural risk aversion," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 151(3), pages 569-585, December.
- Berbel, J. & Rodriguez-Ocana, A., 1998. "An MCDM approach to production analysis: An application to irrigated farms in Southern Spain," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 107(1), pages 108-118, May.
- Biswas, Basudeb & Lacey, John R. & Workman, John P. & Siddoway, Francis H., 1984. "Profit Maximization As A Management Goal On Southeastern Montana Ranches," Western Journal of Agricultural Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 9(01), July.
- Andre, Francisco J. & Riesgo, Laura, 2007. "A non-interactive elicitation method for non-linear multiattribute utility functions: Theory and application to agricultural economics," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 181(2), pages 793-807, September.
- Tamiz, Mehrdad & Jones, Dylan & Romero, Carlos, 1998. "Goal programming for decision making: An overview of the current state-of-the-art," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 111(3), pages 569-581, December.
- A. Charnes & W. W. Cooper & R. O. Ferguson, 1955. "Optimal Estimation of Executive Compensation by Linear Programming," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 1(2), pages 138-151, January.
- Crosson, P. & O'Kiely, P. & O'Mara, F.P. & Wallace, M., 2006. "The development of a mathematical model to investigate Irish beef production systems," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 89(2-3), pages 349-370, September.
- Solano, C. & Leon, H. & Perez, E. & Herrero, M., 2001. "Characterising objective profiles of Costa Rican dairy farmers," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 67(3), pages 153-179, March.
- Patrick, George F. & Blake, Brian F., 1980. "Measurement And Modeling Of Farmers' Goals: An Evaluation And Suggestions," Southern Journal of Agricultural Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 12(01), July.
- Roemen, J. H. J., 1993. "The long-term elasticity of the milk supply with respect to the milk price in the Netherlands in the period 1969-1984," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 69(2), pages 221-237, September.
- Bergevoet, R. H. M. & Ondersteijn, C. J. M. & Saatkamp, H. W. & van Woerkum, C. M. J. & Huirne, R. B. M., 2004. "Entrepreneurial behaviour of dutch dairy farmers under a milk quota system: goals, objectives and attitudes," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 80(1), pages 1-21, April.
- Michael T. Wallace & Joan E. Moss, 2002. "Farmer Decision-Making with Conflicting Goals: A Recursive Strategic Programming Analysis," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 53(1), pages 82-100.
- Conway, A. G. & Killen, L., 1987. "A linear programming model of grassland management," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 51-71.
- Fairweather, John R. & Keating, Norah C., 1994. "Goals and management styles of New Zealand farmers," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 44(2), pages 181-200.
- Vandermersch, Mieke & Mathijs, Erik, 2002. "Do Management Profiles Matter? An Analysis of Belgian Dairy Farmers," 2002 International Congress, August 28-31, 2002, Zaragoza, Spain 24832, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Arriaza, M. & Gomez-Limon, J. A., 2003. "Comparative performance of selected mathematical programming models," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 77(2), pages 155-171, August.
- Sintori, Alexandra & Rozakis, Stelios & Tsiboukas, Kostas, 2009. "Multiple goals in farmers’ decision making: The case of sheep farming in Western Greece," 83rd Annual Conference, March 30-April 1, 2009, Dublin, Ireland 51075, Agricultural Economics Society.
- Cary, John W. & Holmes, Bill, 1982. "Relationships Among Farmers' Goals And Farm Adjustment Strategies: Some Empirics Of A Multidimensional Approach," Australian Journal of Agricultural Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 26(02), August.
- Piech, Bozena & Rehman, T., 1993. "Application of multiple criteria decision making methods to farm planning: A case study," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 41(3), pages 305-319.
- Rehman, T. & Romero, C., 1993. "The application of the MCDM paradigm to the management of agricultural systems: Some basic considerations," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 41(3), pages 239-255.
- Harman, Wyatte L. & Eidman, Vernon R. & Hatch, Roy E. & Claypool, P.L., 1972. "Relating Farm And Operator Characteristics To Multiple Goals," Southern Journal of Agricultural Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 4(01), July.
- McGregor, M. J. & Dent, J. B., 1993. "An application of lexicographic goal programming to resolve the allocation of water from the Rakaia River (New Zealand)," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 41(3), pages 349-367.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kremmydas dimitrios).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.