Relationships Among Farmers' Goals And Farm Adjustment Strategies: Some Empirics Of A Multidimensional Approach
AbstractA knowledge of farmers' goals provides an important basis for understanding farmers' preferences for, and choices among, various farm adjustment strategies. Such information is also valuable in estimating the acceptability to farmers of various government measures to assist rural adjustment. The goals of Queensland graziers, with and without a history of farm expansion, are compared. Different adjustment strategies are analysed in terms of the ways in which they satisfy different individual goals. A dimensional analysis of relationships among goals and adjustment strategies reveals that, for those willing to expand but without a history of expansion, income and social goals are at odds with each other. For these graziers, property expansion seemed to be the strategy most likely to meet both these goals. For graziers with a history of expansion, income goals were complementary with social goals.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society in its journal Australian Journal of Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 26 (1982)
Issue (Month): 02 (August)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: AARES Central Office Manager, Crawford School of Public Policy, ANU, Canberra ACT 0200
Phone: 0409 032 338
Web page: http://www.aares.info/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Sintori, Alexandra & Rozakis, Stelios & Tsiboukas, Kostas, 2009. "Multiple goals in farmers’ decision making: The case of sheep farming in Western Greece," 83rd Annual Conference, March 30-April 1, 2009, Dublin, Ireland 51075, Agricultural Economics Society.
- Gomez-Limon, Jose Antonio & Riesgo, Laura & Arriaza Balmon, Manuel, 2003.
"Multi-Criteria Analysis Of Factors Use Level: The Case Of Water For Irrigation,"
2003 Annual Meeting, August 16-22, 2003, Durban, South Africa
25836, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- José A. Gómez-Limón & Laura Riesgo & Manuel Arriaza, 2003. "Multi-Criteria Analysis of Factors Use Level: The Case of Water for Irrigation," Economic Working Papers at Centro de Estudios Andaluces E2003/18, Centro de Estudios Andaluces.
- Gomez-Limon, Jose Antonio & Riesgo, Laura & Arriaza Balmon, Manuel, 2002. "Agricultural Risk Aversion Revisited: A Multicriteria Decision-Making Approach," 2002 International Congress, August 28-31, 2002, Zaragoza, Spain 24827, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Gow, Jeff & Stayner, Richard, 1995. "The Process of Farm Adjustment: A Critical Review," Review of Marketing and Agricultural Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 63(02), August.
- Gomez-Limon, Jose A. & Arriaza, Manuel & Riesgo, Laura, 2003. "An MCDM analysis of agricultural risk aversion," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 151(3), pages 569-585, December.
- José A. Gómez-Limón & Yolanda Martínez Martínez, 2004. "Multicriteria Modelling of Irrigation Water Market at Basin Level," Economic Working Papers at Centro de Estudios Andaluces E2004/26, Centro de Estudios Andaluces.
- Francisco J. André & Inés Herrero & Laura Riesgo, 2007. "Using a modified DEA model to estimate the importance of objectives. An application to agricultural economics," Working Papers 07.09, Universidad Pablo de Olavide, Department of Economics.
- Gomez-Limon, J. A. & Berbel, J., 2000. "Multicriteria analysis of derived water demand functions: a Spanish case study," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 63(1), pages 49-72, January.
- Stelios Rozakis & Alexandra Sintori & Konstantinos Tsiboukas, 2009.
"Utility-derived Supply Function of Sheep Milk: The Case of Etoloakarnania, Greece,"
2009-11, Agricultural University of Athens, Department Of Agricultural Economics.
- Stelios, Rozakis & Alexandra, Sintori & Konstantinos, Tsiboukas, 2009. "Utility-derived Supply Function of Sheep Milk: The Case of Etoloakarnania, Greece," 113th Seminar, September 3-6, 2009, Chania, Crete, Greece 58126, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Francisco J. André & Inés Herrero & Laura Riesgo, 2004. "Using DEA to estimate the importance of objectives for decision makers," Economic Working Papers at Centro de Estudios Andaluces E2004/50, Centro de Estudios Andaluces.
- Rosato, Paolo & Stellin, Giuseppe, 1995. "MULTI CRITERIA ANALYSIS IN FARM MANAGEMENT FOLLOWING THE COMMON AGRICULTURAL POLICY REFORM: AN APPLICATION OF MULTI-OBJECTIVE INTEGER LINEAR PROGRAMMING; Proceedings of the 4th Minnesota Padova Confer," Working Papers 14414, University of Minnesota, Center for International Food and Agricultural Policy.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.