Criticality in a model of banking crises
AbstractAn interbank market lets participants pool the risk arising from the combination of illiquid investments and random withdrawals by depositors. But it also creates the potential for one bank's failure to trigger off avalanches of further failures. We simulate a model of interbank lending to study the interplay of these two effects. We show that when banks are similar in size and exposure to risk, avalanche effects are small so that widening the interbank market leads to more stability. But as heterogeneity increases, avalanche effects become more important. By varying the heterogeneity and connectivity across banks, the system enters a critical regime with a power law distribution of avalanche sizes.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by arXiv.org in its series Papers with number cond-mat/0104080.
Date of creation: Apr 2001
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://arxiv.org/
Other versions of this item:
- Iori, Giulia & Jafarey, Saqib, 2001. "Criticality in a model of banking crises," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 299(1), pages 205-212.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Guido Fioretti, 2005. "Credit Rationing in a Basic Agent-Based Model," Finance 0505002, EconWPA.
- Martínez-Jaramillo, Serafín & Pérez, Omar Pérez & Embriz, Fernando Avila & Dey, Fabrizio López Gallo, 2010. "Systemic risk, financial contagion and financial fragility," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 34(11), pages 2358-2374, November.
- Cohen-Cole, Ethan & Patacchini, Eleonora & Zenou, Yves, 2011.
"Systemic Risk and Network Formation in the Interbank Market,"
Research Papers in Economics
2011:6, Stockholm University, Department of Economics.
- Cohen-Cole, Ethan & Patacchini, Eleonora & Zenou, Yves, 2011. "Systemic Risk and Network Formation in the Interbank Market," CEPR Discussion Papers 8332, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (arXiv administrators).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.