A Market Risk Approach to Liquidity Risk and Financial Contagion
AbstractAccording to traditional literature, liquidity risk in individual banks can turn into a system-wide ¯nancial crisis when either interbank credit exposures or bank runs are present. This paper shows that this phenomenon can also arise when individual liquidity risk trans- forms into system-wide market risk (even in the absence of bank runs and interbank credit networks). This happens when banks try to sell some portion of its assets in order to overcome a liquidity shortage (individual liquidity risk). These sales depress the market price of assets if demand is not perfectly elastic. Given the fact that banks mark to market the asset book, the fall of market price reduces the value of assets of every bank in the system (system-wide market risk), leaving them less suited for future liquidity shortages and therefore more prone to bankruptcies. The paper rationalizes this idea through the simulation of a model that tries to capture the behavior of a liq- uidity manager that faces shocks on bank deposits and loans. The main results suggest that the extent of ¯nancial contagion depends crucially on the size of the market for assets.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Banco de la Republica de Colombia in its series Borradores de Economia with number 384.
Date of creation:
Date of revision:
liquidity manager; liquidity risk; market risk; systemic risk; financial contagion; mark-to-market;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
- G33 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Bankruptcy; Liquidation
- L14 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Transactional Relationships; Contracts and Reputation
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2006-04-08 (All new papers)
- NEP-BEC-2006-04-08 (Business Economics)
- NEP-FIN-2006-04-08 (Finance)
- NEP-FMK-2006-04-08 (Financial Markets)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Xavier Freixas & Jean-Charles Rochet, 1997. "Microeconomics of Banking," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262061937, January.
- Dimitrios P Tsomocos & Charles A.E. Goodhart, 2004.
"A Model to Analyse Financial Fragility: Applications,"
Economics Series Working Papers
2004-FE-05, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Goodhart, Charles A. E. & Sunirand, Pojanart & Tsomocos, Dimitrios P., 2004. "A model to analyse financial fragility: applications," Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 1-30, September.
- Charles A.E. Goodhart & Pojanart Sunirand & Dimitrios P. Tsomocos, 2004. "A Model to Analyse Financial Fragility: Applications," OFRC Working Papers Series 2004fe05, Oxford Financial Research Centre.
- Plantin, Guillaume & Sapra, Haresh & Shin, Hyun-Song, 2005. "Marking to Market, Liquidity, and Financial Stability," Monetary and Economic Studies, Institute for Monetary and Economic Studies, Bank of Japan, vol. 23(S1), pages 133-155, October.
- Castiglionesi, Fabio, 2007. "Financial contagion and the role of the central bank," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 81-101, January.
- Rochet, Jean-Charles & Tirole, Jean, 1996.
"Interbank Lending and Systemic Risk,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 28(4), pages 733-62, November.
- Dimitrios P Tsomocos, 2000.
"Equilibrium Analysis, Banking and Financial Instability,"
Economics Series Working Papers
2003-FE-08, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Tsomocos, Dimitrios P., 2003. "Equilibrium analysis, banking and financial instability," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(5-6), pages 619-655, July.
- Dimitrios P. Tsomocos, 2003. "Equilibrium Analysis, Banking and Financial Instability," OFRC Working Papers Series 2003fe08, Oxford Financial Research Centre.
- De Bandt, Olivier & Hartmann, Philipp, 2000.
"Systemic risk: A survey,"
Working Paper Series
0035, European Central Bank.
- Xavier Freixas & Bruno Parigi & Jean Charles Rochet, 1998.
"Systemic risk, interbank relations and liquidity provision by the Central Bank,"
Economics Working Papers
440, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Sep 1999.
- Freixas, Xavier & Parigi, Bruno M & Rochet, Jean-Charles, 2000. "Systemic Risk, Interbank Relations, and Liquidity Provision by the Central Bank," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 32(3), pages 611-38, August.
- Xavier Freixas & Bruno M. Parigi & Jean-Charles Rochet, 2000. "Systemic risk, interbank relations, and liquidity provision by the central bank," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, pages 611-640.
- Freixas, Xavier & Parigi, Bruno & Rochet, Jean Charles, 1999. "Systemic Risk, Interbank Relations and Liquidity Provision by the Central Bank," CEPR Discussion Papers 2325, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- X. Freixas & B. Parigi & J-C. Rochet, 2000. "Systemic Risk, Interbank Relations and Liquidity Provision by theCentral Bank," DNB Staff Reports (discontinued) 47, Netherlands Central Bank.
- Charles A.E. Goodhart & Pojanart Sunirand & Dimitrios P. Tsomocos, 2004.
"A Time Series Analysis of Financial Fragility in the UK Banking System,"
OFRC Working Papers Series
2004fe18, Oxford Financial Research Centre.
- Charles Goodhart & Pojanart Sunirand & Dimitrios Tsomocos, 2006. "A Time Series Analysis of Financial Fragility in the UK Banking System," Annals of Finance, Springer, vol. 2(1), pages 1-21, January.
- Dimitrios P Tsomocos, 2004. "A Time Series Analysis of Financial Fragility in the UK Banking System," Economics Series Working Papers 2004-FE-18, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Douglas W. Diamond & Raghuram G. Rajan, 2002.
"Liquidity Shortages and Banking Crises,"
NBER Working Papers
8937, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- C. H. Furfine, 1999. "Interbank exposures: quantifying the risk of contagion," BIS Working Papers 70, Bank for International Settlements.
- Douglas W. Diamond & Philip H. Dybvig, 2000.
"Bank runs, deposit insurance, and liquidity,"
Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis, issue Win, pages 14-23.
- Hasan, Iftekhar & Dwyer, Gerald P, Jr, 1994. "Bank Runs in the Free Banking Period," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 26(2), pages 271-88, May.
- Isabel Schnabel & Hyun Song Shin, 2004. "Liquidity and Contagion: The Crisis of 1763," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, vol. 2(6), pages 929-968, December.
- Elsinger, Helmut & Summer, Martin & Boss, Michael & Thurner, Stefan, 2004. "An Empirical Analysis of the Network Structure of the Austrian Interbank Market," Financial Stability Report, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank), issue 7.
- Giulia Iori & Saqib Jafarey & Francisco Padilla, 2003.
"Interbank Lending, Reserve Requirements and Systemic Risk,"
Modeling, Computing, and Mastering Complexity 2003
17, Society for Computational Economics.
- giulia iori and Saqib Jafarey, 2001. "Interbank Lending, reserve requirements and systemic risk," Computing in Economics and Finance 2001 63, Society for Computational Economics.
- Franklin Allen & Douglas Gale, 1998. "Financial Contagion Journal of Political Economy," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 98-31, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Franklin Allen & Douglas Gale, 2003. "Financial Fragility, Liquidity and Asset Prices," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 01-37, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Wilmar Cabrera & Adriana María Corredor-Waldron & Carlos Quicazán, . "Requerimientos Macroprudenciales de capital y riesgo sistémico: Una aplicación para Colombia," Temas de Estabilidad Financiera 074, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Camilo Millán).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.