Traceability And Country Of Origin Labelling
AbstractCountry of origin labelling (COOL) on food products is controversial. There is disagreement over whether consumers value information on country of origin intrinsically or as a quality or a safety signal. The debate becomes more heated when country of origin labelling is mandated by regulation, with fears that the regulation is driven by producer rather than consumer interests. Country of origin labelling has implications for traceability systems in agrifood supply chains. The ability to provide consumers with information on the country of origin requires a basic level of traceability, although does not necessarily imply full traceability throughout the supply chain to the farm. This paper examines the role of traceability and identity preservation systems in marketing agrifood products, focusing on the underlying economic functions of traceability systems. Voluntary versus mandatory labelling of country of origin and/or traceability becomes a question of determining if consumers value this information and whether a market failure exists in providing this information. The table implications of mandatory country of origin labelling are explored within this context.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Farm Foundation, Agricultural and Food Policy Systems Information Workshops in its series Farm Policy Development and Policy Tensions under NAFTA; Proceedings of the 9th Agricultural and Food Policy Systems Information Workshop - 2003 with number 16813.
Date of creation: 2003
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 1211 West 22nd St., Suite 216, Oak Brook, IL 60523-2197
Phone: (630) 571-9393
Fax: (630) 571-9580
Web page: http://www.farmfoundation.org/
More information through EDIRC
Food Consumption/Nutrition/Food Safety;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- John D. Lawrence, 2002. "Quality Assurance "Down Under": Market Access and Product Differentiation," Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications 02-mbp1, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- David Dickinson & DeeVon Bailey, 2002.
"Meat Traceability: Are U.S. Consumers Willing To Pay For It?,"
2002-07, Utah State University, Department of Economics.
- Dickinson, David L. & Bailey, DeeVon, 2002. "Meat Traceability: Are U.S. Consumers Willing To Pay For It?," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 27(02), December.
- David Dickinson & DeeVon Bailey, 2001. "Meat traceability: are U.S. consumers willing to pay for it?," Working Papers 2001-14, Utah State University, Department of Economics.
- Dickinson, David L. & Bailey, DeeVon, 2002. "Meat Traceability: Are U. S. Consumers Willing To Pay For It?," 2002 Annual meeting, July 28-31, Long Beach, CA 19670, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Shogren, Jason F. & Shin, Seung Youll & Hayes, Dermot J. & Kliebenstein, James, 1994.
"Resolving Differences in Willingness to Pay and Willingness to Accept,"
Staff General Research Papers
701, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Shogren, Jason F. & Seung Y. Shin & Dermot J. Hayes & James B. Kliebenstein, 1994. "Resolving Differences in Willingness to Pay and Willingness to Accept," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 84(1), pages 255-70, March.
- Hayes, Dermot J. & Shogren, Jason F. & Shin, Seung Youll & Kliebenstein, James, 1995. "Valuing Food Safety in Experimental Auction Markets," Staff General Research Papers 835, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Grossman, Sanford J, 1981. "The Informational Role of Warranties and Private Disclosure about Product Quality," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 24(3), pages 461-83, December.
- John D. Lawrence, 2002. "Quality Assurance "Down Under": Market Access and Product Differentiation," Midwest Agribusiness Trade Research and Information Center (MATRIC) Publications 02-mbp1, Midwest Agribusiness Trade Research and Information Center (MATRIC) at Iowa State University.
- Hobbs, Jill E., 2003. "Traceability in Meat Supply Chains," CAFRI: Current Agriculture, Food and Resource Issues, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society, issue 04.
- Schupp, Alvin R. & Gillespie, Jeffrey M., 2001. "Consumer Attitudes Toward Potential Country-Of-Origin Labeling Of Fresh Or Frozen Beef," Journal of Food Distribution Research, Food Distribution Research Society, vol. 32(03), November.
- Patterson, Paul M. & Martinez, Samuel Cardona, 2004. "State and Origin Branding in Hispanic Food Markets," Journal of Food Distribution Research, Food Distribution Research Society, vol. 35(03), November.
- Awada, Lana & Yiannaka, Amalia, 2006. "Consumer purchasing decisions and welfare under country of origin. Labelling regulation," 98th Seminar, June 29-July 2, 2006, Chania, Crete, Greece 10038, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Taylor, J. Edward & Yunez-Naude, Antonio & Paredes, Fernando Barceinas & Dyer, George A., 2004. "Transition Policy And The Structure Of The Agriculture Of Mexico," North American Agrifood Integration: Situation and Perspectives, May 2004, Cancun, Mexico 16731, Farm Foundation.
- Juan Jose Barrios & Nestor Gandelman & Gustavo Michelin, 2010. "Analysis of Several Productive Development Policies in Uruguay," Research Department Publications 4661, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Arnoult, Matthieu H. & Lobb, Alexandra E. & Tiffin, J. Richard, 2007. "The UK Consumer's Attitudes to, and Willingness to Pay for, imported Foods," 105th Seminar, March 8-10, 2007, Bologna, Italy 7893, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Awada, Lana & Yiannaka, Amalia, 2012. "Consumer perceptions and the effects of country of origin labeling on purchasing decisions and welfare," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 21-30.
- Lobb, Alexandra E. & Mazzocchi, Mario, 2006. "The Country of Origin of Food: Consumer Perceptions of Safety and the Issue of Trust," 99th Seminar, February 8-10, 2006, Bonn, Germany 7728, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Joseph, Siny & Lavoie, Nathalie, 2008. "Effectiveness of COOL in the U.S. Seafood Industry," 2008 Annual Meeting, July 27-29, 2008, Orlando, Florida 6260, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.