Price volatility and return on pig fattening under different price- quantity contract regimes
AbstractThe goal of this study is to estimate how different price or quantity fixing contracts affect the value of pig space unit in pig fattening. The value of pig space unit is estimated with a stochastic dynamic programming algorithm. The model maximises the value of pig space unit by using four decision variables. The input-output ratios are endogenous and the option to suspend production temporarily is taken into account in the model. The results suggests that the smooth functioning of markets in Finland can be promoted by ensuring that price changes are transmitted smoothly between input and output markets, and that producers are compensated for giving up the option to suspend production temporarily in the event if unfavourable market situation. Instead of fixing only the price of output, the contract should aim at reducing the risk associated with gross margin.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by European Association of Agricultural Economists in its series 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland with number 114614.
Date of creation: 02 Sep 2011
Date of revision:
Demand and Price Analysis; Livestock Production/Industries;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-10-15 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Vukina Tomislav & Shin Changmok & Zheng Xiaoyong, 2009. "Complementarity among Alternative Procurement Arrangements in the Pork Packing Industry," Journal of Agricultural & Food Industrial Organization, De Gruyter, vol. 7(1), pages 1-24, March.
- Dubois, Pierre & Vukina, Tomislav, 2008.
"Optimal Incentives under Moral Hazard and Heterogeneous Agents: Evidence from Production Contracts Data,"
IDEI Working Papers
393, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Dubois, Pierre & Vukina, Tomislav, 2009. "Optimal incentives under moral hazard and heterogeneous agents: Evidence from production contracts data," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 27(4), pages 489-500, July.
- Dubois, Pierre & Vukina, Tomislav, 2006. "Optimal Incentives under Moral Hazard and Heterogeneous Agents: Evidence from Production Contracts Data," 2006 Annual Meeting, August 12-18, 2006, Queensland, Australia 25568, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Dubois, Pierre & Vukina, Tomislav, 2005. "Optimal Incentives Under Moral Hazard and Heterogeneous Agents: Evidence from Production Contracts Data," 2005 International Congress, August 23-27, 2005, Copenhagen, Denmark 24645, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Dubois, Pierre & Vukina, Tomislav, 2006. "Optimal Incentives under Moral Hazard and Heterogeneous Agents: Evidence from Production Contracts Data," CEPR Discussion Papers 6011, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Dubois, P. & Vukina, T., 2005. "Optimal incentives under moral hazard and heterogeneous agents : evidence from production contracts data," Economics Working Paper Archive (Toulouse) 200511, French Institute for Agronomy Research (INRA), Economics Laboratory in Toulouse (ESR Toulouse).
- Martin Odening & Oliver Mu�hoff & Alfons Balmann, 2005. "Investment decisions in hog finishing: an application of the real options approach," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 32(1), pages 47-60, 01.
- Jan Hinrichs & Oliver Musshoff & Martin Odening, 2008. "Economic hysteresis in hog production," Applied Economics, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 40(3), pages 333-340.
- Joost M. E. Pennings, 2004. "Channel Contract Behavior: The Role of Risk Attitudes, Risk Perceptions, And Channel Members' Market Structures," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 77(4), pages 697-724, October.
- Jarkko K. Niemi & Heikki Lehtonen, 2011. "Modelling pig sector dynamic adjustment to livestock epidemics with stochastic-duration trade disruptions," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 38(4), pages 529-551, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.