Media-specific returns to generic advertising: The case of catfish
AbstractA key decision faced by managers of generic advertising programs is the allocation of the budget among media (e.g., television, radio, print). In this article, the economics of media allocation are addressed using catfish as a case study. The hypothesis that demand responds equally to all media was rejected. Further analysis indicated that the media with relatively modest expenditures (newspapers and television) had no reliable effect on demand, which suggests that scale is important. Losses sustained from the apparently ineffectual media were more than offset by gains from the effective media (magazines and radio), so that returns overall, net of opportunity cost, were positive. The historical media allocation, however, was inefficient in the sense that a different media mix would have resulted in greater industry profits. © 1999 John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Agribusiness.
Volume (Year): 15 (1999)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1002/(ISSN)1520-6297
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hui-Shung Chang & Henry W. Kinnucan, 1991. "Economic effects of an advertising excise tax," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 7(2), pages 165-173.
- Mitchell, Douglas W. & Speaker, Paul J., 1986. "A simple, flexible distributed lag technique : The polynomial inverse lag," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 329-340, April.
- Kinnucan, Henry W. & Venkateswaran, Meenakshi, 1990. "Effects Of Generic Advertising On Perceptions And Behavior: The Case Of Catfish," Southern Journal of Agricultural Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 22(02), December.
- Robert P. Leone, 1995. "Generalizing What Is Known About Temporal Aggregation and Advertising Carryover," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 14(3_supplem), pages G141-G150.
- John D. Jackson, 1997. "Effects of Health Information and Generic Advertising on U.S. Meat Demand," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 79(1), pages 13-23.
- Kinnucan, Henry W. & Nelson, Robert G. & Xiao, Hui, 1995. "Cooperative Advertising Rent Dissipation," Marine Resource Economics, Marine Resources Foundation, vol. 10(4).
- Kinnucan, Henry W., 1995. "Price Bargaining Without Supply Control," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 24(1), April.
- Capps, Oral, Jr. & Schmitz, John D., 1991. "Effect Of Generic Advertising On The Demand For Fluid Milk: The Case Of The Texas Market Order," Southern Journal of Agricultural Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 23(02), December.
- Ronald W. Ward, 1999. "Evaluating the beef promotion checkoff: The robustness of the conclusions," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 15(4), pages 517-524.
- Kinnucan, Henry W., 2003. "Futility Of Targeted Fish Tariffs And An Alternative," Marine Resource Economics, Marine Resources Foundation, vol. 18(3).
- Fare, Rolf & Grosskopf, Shawna & Seldon, Barry J. & Tremblay, Victor J., 2004. "Advertising efficiency and the choice of media mix: a case of beer," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 22(4), pages 503-522, April.
- Norman-Lopez, Ana & Asche, Frank, 2008. "Competition Between Imported Tilapia and US Catfish in the US Market," Marine Resource Economics, Marine Resources Foundation, vol. 23(2).
- Kinnucan, Henry W. & Paudel, Laxmi, 2001. "Upstream Effects Of Generic Advertising: The Case Of Catfish," Marine Resource Economics, Marine Resources Foundation, vol. 16(2).
- Gary W. Williams, 1999. "Commodity checkoff programs as alternative producer investment opportunities: The case of soybeans," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 15(4), pages 539-552.
- Asche, Frank & Tveteras, Ragnar, 2002. "Economics of Aquaculture: Special Issue Introduction," Marine Resource Economics, Marine Resources Foundation, vol. 17(2).
- Asche, Frank & Dahl, Roy Endre & Gordon, Daniel V. & Trollvik, Trine & Aandahl, Paul, 2011. "Demand Growth for Atlantic Salmon: The EU and French Markets," Marine Resource Economics, Marine Resources Foundation, vol. 26(4).
- Metin Cakir & Joseph V. Balagtas, 2010. "Econometric evidence of cross-market effects of generic dairy advertising," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 26(1), pages 83-99.
- Asche, Frank & Guttormsen, Atle G., 2001. "Patterns In The Relative Price For Different Sizes Of Farmed Fish," Marine Resource Economics, Marine Resources Foundation, vol. 16(3).
- Quagrainie, Kwamena K., 2006. "Analysis of U.S. Catfish Fillet Market Share Using a Flexible Logistic Model," Marine Resource Economics, Marine Resources Foundation, vol. 21(1).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.