Econometric evidence of cross-market effects of generic dairy advertising
AbstractWe estimate a dairy demand system to evaluate generic dairy advertising in the US, 1990-2005. Previous empirical studies of generic dairy advertising focus only on the market of the advertised good, ignoring potential spill-over and feedback effects. We specify an LA|AIDS model of dairy demand, which allows consistent estimation of cross-price and cross-advertising effects across dairy product markets, and is flexible and satisfies the axioms of consumer theory. We use the non-linear 3SLS estimator to address endogenous prices and serial correlation, and conduct bootstrapping to generate empirical distributions of elasticity estimates. Results suggest that cross-market effects are economically and statistically important. Thus, econometric dairy demand models that ignore cross-advertising and cross-price effects are mis-specified. Previous work that ignores substitution between fluid milk and cheese overstates producers' returns to generic advertising for either product. © 2010 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Agribusiness.
Volume (Year): 26 (2010)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1002/(ISSN)1520-6297
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Julian M. Alston & John W. Freebairn & Jennifer S. James, 2001. "Beggar-Thy-Neighbor Advertising: Theory and Application to Generic Commodity Promotion Programs," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(4), pages 888-902.
- Joseph V. Balagtas & Sounghun Kim, 2007. "Measuring the Effects of Generic Dairy Advertising in a Multi-Market Equilibrium," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 89(4), pages 932-946.
- Deaton, Angus S & Muellbauer, John, 1980. "An Almost Ideal Demand System," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(3), pages 312-26, June.
- Todd M. Schmit & Harry M. Kaiser, 2004. "Decomposing the Variation in Generic Advertising Response over Time," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 86(1), pages 139-153.
- Kaiser, Harry M. & Chung, Chanjin, 2002.
"Impact of Generic Milk Advertising on New York State Markets,"
122631, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- Kaiser, Harry M. & Chung, Chanjin, 1999. "Impact of Generic Milk Advertising on New York State Markets," Research Bulletins 122677, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- Vidyashankara Satyanarayana & William W. Wilson & D. Demcey Johnson, 1999. "Import Demand for Malt in Selected Countries: A Linear Approximation of AIDS," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 47(2), pages 137-149, 07.
- Nicholas E. Piggott, 2003. "Measures of precision for estimated welfare effects for producers from generic advertising," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 19(3), pages 379-391.
- LaFrance, Jeffrey T., 2004. "Integrability of the linear approximate almost ideal demand system," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 84(3), pages 297-303, September.
- Kling, Catherine L. & Dorfman, Jeffrey & Sexton, Richard, 1990. "Confidence Intervals for Elasticities and Flexibilities: Re-Evaluating the Ratios of Normals Case," Staff General Research Papers 1582, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Crespi, John M. & James, Jennifer S., 2007.
"Bargaining rationale for cooperative generic advertising,"
Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics,
Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 51(4), December.
- John M. Crespi & Jennifer S. James, 2007. "Bargaining rationale for cooperative generic advertising," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 51(4), pages 445-457, December.
- Ferrero, Jennifer L. & Boon, Leen & Kaiser, Harry M. & Forker, Olan D., 1996. "Annotated Bibliography of Generic Commodity Promotion Research," Research Bulletins 122819, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- Mitchell, Douglas W. & Speaker, Paul J., 1986. "A simple, flexible distributed lag technique : The polynomial inverse lag," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 329-340, April.
- Henry W. Kinnucan & Yuliang Miao, 1999. "Media-specific returns to generic advertising: The case of catfish," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 15(1), pages 81-99.
- Nicholas E. Piggott & James A. Chalfant & Julian M. Alston & Garry R. Griffith, 1996. "Demand Response to Advertising in the Australian Meat Industry," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 78(2), pages 268-279.
- Jeffrey T. LaFrance & W. Michael Hanemann, 1989. "The Dual Structure of Incomplete Demand Systems," Monash Economics Working Papers archive-21, Monash University, Department of Economics.
- Abraham Garcia, 2011. "The relevance of marketing in the success of innovations," JRC-IPTS Working Papers on Corporate R&D and Innovation 2011-09, Institute of Prospective Technological Studies, Joint Research Centre.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.