Confidence Intervals for Elasticities and Flexibilities: Re-Evaluating the Ratios of Normals Case
AbstractMany important hypotheses in applied economics depend upon the magnitude of estimated elasticities or flexibilities. However, their statistical properties are unknown for many popular models, making standard statistical inference impossible. This problem is addressed in the present paper which analyzes and evaluates alternative methods of constructing confidence intervals for elasticities and flexibilities. The methods studied include three bootstrap-based approaches, an approximation based on a Taylor's series expansion, and approaches proposed by Fieller and Scheffï¿½. Results show that all method's except Scheffï¿½'s worked
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Iowa State University, Department of Economics in its series Staff General Research Papers with number 1582.
Date of creation: 01 Jan 1990
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in American Journal of Agricultural Economics, January 1990, vol. 72 no. 4, pp. 1006-17
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Iowa State University, Dept. of Economics, 260 Heady Hall, Ames, IA 50011-1070
Phone: +1 515.294.6741
Fax: +1 515.294.0221
Web page: http://www.econ.iastate.edu
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Ward, Patrick & Shively, Gerald, 2012.
"Vulnerability, Income Growth and Climate Change,"
Elsevier, vol. 40(5), pages 916-927.
- Shively, Gerald E. & Ward, Patrick S. & Diffenbaugh, Noah S., 2009. "Vulnerability, Income Growth and Climate Change," 2009 Conference, August 16-22, 2009, Beijing, China 49943, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Lanfranco, Bruno A. & Ames, Glenn C.W. & Huang, Chung L. & Stegelin, Forrest E., 2001. "Wic And The Demand For Food By The Hispanic Community In The United States," Journal of Food Distribution Research, Food Distribution Research Society, vol. 32(01), March.
- Nicholas E. Piggott, 2003. "Measures of precision for estimated welfare effects for producers from generic advertising," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 19(3), pages 379-391.
- Mooney, Sian & Antle, John M. & Capalbo, Susan M. & Paustian, Keith H., 2003. "Incorporating Uncertainty In Integrated Assessment Modeling," 2003 Annual meeting, July 27-30, Montreal, Canada 22225, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Hirschberg, J.G. & Lye, J.N. & Slottje, D.J., 2008. "Inferential methods for elasticity estimates," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 147(2), pages 299-315, December.
- Caffey, Rex H. & Kazmierczak, Richard F., Jr., 1994. "Factors Influencing Technology Adoption In A Louisiana Aquaculture System," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 26(01), July.
- Nin Pratt, Alejandro & Hertel, Thomas W. & Foster, Kenneth A. & Rae, Allan N., 2001. "Productivity Growth And Catching-Up: Implications For China'S Trade In Livestock Products," 2001 Annual meeting, August 5-8, Chicago, IL 20590, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Jae H Kim & Iain Fraser & Rob J. Hyndman, 2010.
"Improved Interval Estimation of Long Run Response from a Dynamic Linear Model: A Highest Density Region Approach,"
2010.06, School of Economics, La Trobe University.
- Kim, Jae H. & Fraser, Iain & Hyndman, Rob J., 2011. "Improved interval estimation of long run response from a dynamic linear model: A highest density region approach," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 55(8), pages 2477-2489, August.
- Jae H Kim & Iain Fraser & Rob J. Hyndman, 2010. "Improved Interval Estimation of Long Run Response from a Dynamic Linear Model: A Highest Density Region Approach," Working Papers 2010.06, School of Economics, La Trobe University.
- McIntosh, Christopher S. & Williams, Albert A., 1992. "Multiproduct Production Choices And Pesticide Regulation In Georgia," Southern Journal of Agricultural Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 24(01), July.
- Lanfranco, Bruno A. & Ames, Glenn C.W. & Huang, Chung L., 2001. "A Censored System Estimation Of Hispanic Household Food Consumption Patterns," Faculty Series 16720, University of Georgia, Department of Agricultural and Applied Economics.
- Antle, John M. & Valdivia, Roberto O., 2006. "Modelling the supply of ecosystem services from agriculture: a minimum-data approach," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 50(1), March.
- Joseph Cooper & John Loomis, 1993. "Testing whether waterfowl hunting benefits increase with greater water deliveries to wetlands," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 3(6), pages 545-561, December.
- Mario F. Teisl & Nancy E. Bockstael & Alan Levy, 2001. "Measuring the Welfare Effects of Nutrition Information," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(1), pages 133-149.
- Metin Cakir & Joseph V. Balagtas, 2010. "Econometric evidence of cross-market effects of generic dairy advertising," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 26(1), pages 83-99.
- Nin, Alejandro & Hertel, Thomas W. & Foster, Kenneth & Rae, Allan, 2004. "Productivity growth, catching-up and uncertainty in China's meat trade," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 31(1), pages 1-16, July.
- McIntosh, Christopher S. & Shumway, C. Richard, 1991. "Multiproduct Production Choices And Policy Response," Western Journal of Agricultural Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 16(02), December.
- J. G. Hirschberg, J. N. Lye & D. J. Slottje, 2008. "Confidence Intervals for Estimates of Elasticities," Department of Economics - Working Papers Series 1053, The University of Melbourne.
- Johnston, Robert J. & Swallow, Stephen K. & Weaver, Thomas F., 1999. "Estimating Willingness to Pay and Resource Tradeoffs with Different Payment Mechanisms: An Evaluation of a Funding Guarantee for Watershed Management," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 38(1), pages 97-120, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Stephanie Bridges) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Stephanie Bridges to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.