Generalizing What Is Known About Temporal Aggregation and Advertising Carryover
AbstractThis paper provides a theoretical explanation for the inconsistent findings from previous econometric analyses of aggregated data concerning the duration of advertising carryover. Using this theoretical explanation and the knowledge of a data interval bias, the paper reviews and summarizes the empirical work in the area of sales response modeling, and then after adjusting for aggregation bias, presents support for an empirical generalization that the average advertising duration interval is of brief duration—typically between six and nine months.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by INFORMS in its journal Marketing Science.
Volume (Year): 14 (1995)
Issue (Month): 3_supplement ()
advertising; advertising duration/carryover; regression-data aggregation;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Dong, Diansheng & Schmit, Todd M. & Kaiser, Harry M., 2007. "Optimal Media Allocation of Generic Fluid Milk Advertising Expenditures: The Case of New York State," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 36(2), October.
- Henry W. Kinnucan & Yuliang Miao, 1999. "Media-specific returns to generic advertising: The case of catfish," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 15(1), pages 81-99.
- Mark W. Frank, 2006.
"Media Substitution in Advertising: A Spirited Case Study,"
0606, Sam Houston State University, Department of Economics and International Business.
- Frank, Mark W., 2008. "Media substitution in advertising: A spirited case study," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 308-326, January.
- Greg Filbeck & Xin Zhao & Daniel Tompkins & Peggy Chong, 2009. "Share price reactions to advertising announcements and broadcast of media events," Managerial and Decision Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 30(4), pages 253-264.
- Cotterill, Ronald W. & Putsis, William P., Jr. & Dhar, Ravi, 2000. "Market Share and Price Setting Behavior For Private Labels and National Brands," Research Reports 25209, University of Connecticut, Food Marketing Policy Center.
- Ralph Breuer & Malte Brettel & Andreas Engelen, 2011. "Incorporating long-term effects in determining the effectiveness of different types of online advertising," Marketing Letters, Springer, vol. 22(4), pages 327-340, November.
- KIYGI CALLI, Meltem & WEVERBERGH, Marcel & FRANSES, Philip Hans, 2008.
"Modeling the effectiveness of hourly direct-response radio commercials,"
2008005, University of Antwerp, Faculty of Applied Economics.
- Kiygi Calli, M. & Weverbergh, M. & Franses, Ph.H.B.F., 2008. "Modeling the Effectiveness of Hourly Direct-Response Radio Commercials," ERIM Report Series Research in Management ERS-2008-019-MKT, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus University Rotterdam.
- Sina Henningsen & Rebecca Heuke & Michel Clement, 2011. "Determinants of Advertising Effectiveness: The Development of an International Advertising Elasticity Database and a Meta-Analysis," BuR - Business Research, German Academic Association for Business Research, vol. 4(2), pages 193-239, December.
- Franses, Philip Hans, 2006.
"Forecasting in Marketing,"
Handbook of Economic Forecasting,
- Cotterill, Ronald W. & Putsis, William P., Jr. & Dhar, Ravi, 1999. "Assessing the Competitive Interaction Between Private Labels and National Brands," Research Reports 25177, University of Connecticut, Food Marketing Policy Center.
- Franses, Philip Hans & Kloek, Teun & Lucas, Andre, 1998. "Outlier robust analysis of long-run marketing effects for weekly scanning data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 89(1-2), pages 293-315, November.
- Seldon, Barry J. & Jewell, R. Todd & O'Brien, Daniel M., 2000. "Media substitution and economies of scale in advertising," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 18(8), pages 1153-1180, December.
- Naik, P. & Piersma, N., 2002. "Understanding the role of marketing communications in direct marketing," Econometric Institute Research Papers EI 2002-13, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Erasmus School of Economics (ESE), Econometric Institute.
- Grewal, Rajdeep & Mills, Jeffrey A. & Mehta, Raj & Mujumdar, Sudesh, 2001. "Using cointegration analysis for modeling marketing interactions in dynamic environments: methodological issues and an empirical illustration," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 51(2), pages 127-144, February.
- Richard, Oliver & Van Horn, Larry, 2004. "Persistence in prescriptions of branded drugs," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 22(4), pages 523-540, April.
- Genesove, David & Simhon, Avi, 2008. "Seasonality and the Effect of Advertising on Price," CEPR Discussion Papers 6999, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- van Heerde, H.J. & Helsen, K. & Dekimpe, M.G., 2005. "Managing Product-Harm Crises," ERIM Report Series Research in Management ERS-2005-044-MKT, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus University Rotterdam.
- Franses, Ph.H.B.F. & Vriens, M., 2004. "Advertising effects on awareness, consideration and brand choice using tracking data," ERIM Report Series Research in Management ERS-2004-028-MKT, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus University Rotterdam.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.