A Theory of Responsibility in Organizations
AbstractThis article considers the implications of allowing a manager discretion over task assignment. If employees earn rents from carrying out tasks and the manager cannot 'sell' the jobs to her subordinates, she has an incentive to take on more tasks than is optimal and delegate too few to a subordinate. The author shows that, although firms can alleviate this incentive by offering output-contingent contracts, even with the optimal contract, (1) the manager carries out too many tasks, (2) she exerts too much effort on her own tasks, and (3) her subordinate exerts too little effort on his tasks. Copyright 1995 by University of Chicago Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Chicago Press in its journal Journal of Labor Economics.
Volume (Year): 13 (1995)
Issue (Month): 3 (July)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/JOLE/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Thomas Cornelißen & Uwe Jirjahn, 2010.
"September 11th and the Earnings of Muslims in Germany: The Moderating Role of Education and Firm Size,"
SOEPpapers on Multidisciplinary Panel Data Research
278, DIW Berlin, The German Socio-Economic Panel (SOEP).
- Cornelissen, Thomas & Jirjahn, Uwe, 2012. "September 11th and the earnings of Muslims in Germany—The moderating role of education and firm size," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 81(2), pages 490-504.
- Thomas Cornelissen & Uwe Jirjahn, 2010. "September 11th and the Earnings of Muslims in Germany - The Moderating Role of Education and Firm Size," Research Papers in Economics 2010-02, University of Trier, Department of Economics.
- Herbold, Daniel, 2013. "Effort Incentives and On-the-Job Search: An Alternative Role for Efficiency Wages in Employment Contracts," Annual Conference 2013 (Duesseldorf): Competition Policy and Regulation in a Global Economic Order 79983, Verein für Socialpolitik / German Economic Association.
- Sliwka, Dirk, 2004.
"On the Notion of Responsibility in Organizations,"
IZA Discussion Papers
1423, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Marino, Anthony M., 2006. "Delegation versus an approval process and the demand for talent," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 487-503, May.
- Rafael Hortala-Vallve & Miguel Sanchez, 2005. "Hierarchic contracting," STICERD - Distributional Analysis Research Programme Papers 73, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Walter Novaes & Luigi Zingales, 1998.
"Bureaucracy as a Mechanism to Generate Information,"
CRSP working papers
477, Center for Research in Security Prices, Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago.
- Walter Novaes & Luigi Zingales, 2004. "Bureaucracy as a Mechanism to Generate Information," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 35(2), pages 245-259, Summer.
- Walter Novaes & Luigi Zingales, 2003. "Bureaucracy as a Mechanism to Generate Information," NBER Working Papers 9763, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Novaes, Walter & Zingales, Luigi, 2003. "Bureaucracy as a Mechanism to Generate Information," CEPR Discussion Papers 3945, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Björn Bartling & Urs Fischbacher, 2008.
"Shifting the Blame: On Delegation and Responsibility,"
IEW - Working Papers
380, Institute for Empirical Research in Economics - University of Zurich.
- Björn Bartling & Urs Fischbacher, 2012. "Shifting the Blame: On Delegation and Responsibility," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 79(1), pages 67-87.
- Björn Bartling & Urs Fischbacher, 2008. "Shifting the Blame: On Delegation and Responsibility," TWI Research Paper Series 32, Thurgauer Wirtschaftsinstitut, Universität Konstanz.
- Eric Van den Steen, 2010. "Interpersonal Authority in a Theory of the Firm," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 100(1), pages 466-90, March.
- Brent Boning & Casey Ichniowski & Kathryn Shaw, 2007.
"Opportunity Counts: Teams and the Effectiveness of Production Incentives,"
Journal of Labor Economics,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 25, pages 613-650.
- Brent Boning & Casey Ichniowski & Kathryn Shaw, 2001. "Opportunity Counts: Teams and the Effectiveness of Production Incentives," NBER Working Papers 8306, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Oxoby, Robert J., 2002. "Status characteristics, cognitive bias, and incentives in teams," Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics (formerly The Journal of Socio-Economics), Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 301-316.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Journals Division).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.