Does black market exchange rate volatility deter the trade flows? Iranian experience
AbstractPrevious studies that investigated the impact of exchange rate volatility on the trade flows, employed official exchange rate data to construct a measure of exchange rate uncertainty. In this paper we show that in countries that there is a black market for foreign exchange, the black market exchange rate volatility could have adverse effect on the trade flows. We show this by using data from Iran and cointegration analysis.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics.
Volume (Year): 34 (2002)
Issue (Month): 18 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEC20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Molina, Imelda R. & Mohanty, Samarendu & Pede, Valerien O. & Valera, Harold, 2013. "Modeling the Effects of Exchange Rate Volatility on Thai Rice Exports," 2013 Annual Meeting, August 4-6, 2013, Washington, D.C. 150429, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Bouoiyour, Jamal & Selmi, Refk, 2013. "Exchange Volatility and Export Performance in Egypt: New Insights from Wavelet Decomposition and Optimal GARCH Model," MPRA Paper 49140, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Jan 2013.
- K. Maris & K. Nikolopoulos & K. Giannelos & V. Assimakopoulos, 2007. "Options trading driven by volatility directional accuracy," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 39(2), pages 253-260.
- Liew, Venus Khim-Sen & Baharumshah, Ahmad Zubaidi & Habibullah, Muzafar Shah & Midi, Habshah, 2008. "Monetary exchange rate model: supportive evidence from nonlinear testing procedures," MPRA Paper 7293, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Venus khim-sen Liew, 2009.
"Linear and nonlinear monetary approaches to the exchange rate of the Philippines peso-Japanese yen,"
AccessEcon, vol. 29(2), pages 1320-1329.
- Liew, Venus Khim-Sen, 2009. "Linear and nonlinear monetary approaches to the exchange rate of the Philippines peso-Japanese yen," MPRA Paper 15550, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 05 Jun 2009.
- Akram Shavkatovich Hasanov Author_Email: & Ahmad Zubaidi Baharumshah & Mahendran Shitan & Zainidin Karimovich Eshkuvatov, 2011. "Exchange Rate Risk And Trade Flows: A Gravity Equation Approach," 2nd International Conference on Business and Economic Research (2nd ICBER 2011) Proceeding 2011-312, Conference Master Resources.
- Guneratne Banda Wickremasinghe & Param Silvapulle, 2004. "Role of Exchange Rate Volatility in Exchange Rate Pass-Through to Import Prices: Some Evidence from Japan," International Finance 0406006, EconWPA.
- Zelekha, Yaron & Bar-Efrat, Ohad, 2011. "The link between exchange rate uncertainty and Israeli exports to the US: 2SLS and cointegration approaches," Research in Economics, Elsevier, vol. 65(2), pages 100-109, June.
- Bouoiyour, Jamal & Selmi, Refk, 2013. "Exchange rate uncertainty and export performance: what meta-analysis reveals?," MPRA Paper 49249, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Aug 2013.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.