Demand systems and the true subindex of the cost of living for pharmaceuticals
AbstractThis paper investigates the demand for prescription pharmaceuticals at the retail level. We use complete demand systems to investigate elasticity for major classes of pharmaceuticals. We estimate both a regular and an inverse demand system using a differential version of the Rotterdam model. We find that both systems yield negative, and statistically significant own-price elasticities. The results indicate that pharmaceutical demand curves are not perfectly inelastic as some industry commentators suggest. We use the results of the complete demand system and a variant of a formula developed by Balk (1990) to derive a cost-of-living subindex for retail pharmaceuticals. We find that retail pharmaceutical prices using our index rise faster than wholesale prices, calculated either by the BLS or by the methods developed by Berndt et al.(1993).
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics.
Volume (Year): 29 (1997)
Issue (Month): 9 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEC20
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Griliches, Zvi & Cockburn, Iain, 1994.
"Generics and New Goods in Pharmaceutical Price Indexes,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 84(5), pages 1213-32, December.
- Griliches, Z. & Cockborn, I., 1993. "Generics and New Goods in Pharmaceutical Price Indexes," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1664, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Zvi Griliches & Iain Cockburn, 1995. "Generics and New Goods in Pharmaceutical Price Indexes," NBER Working Papers 4272, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Eales, James S. & Unnevehr, Laurian J., 1994. "The inverse almost ideal demand system," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 38(1), pages 101-115, January.
- Deaton, Angus S & Muellbauer, John, 1980. "An Almost Ideal Demand System," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(3), pages 312-26, June.
- Elamin H. Elbasha, 2003. "Deadweight loss of bacterial resistance due to overtreatment," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 12(2), pages 125-138.
- Massimo Filippini & Giuliano Masiero & Karine Moschetti, 2009. "Physician dispensing and antibiotic prescriptions," Quaderni della facoltÃ di Scienze economiche dell'UniversitÃ di Lugano 0908, USI Università della Svizzera italiana.
- Laura GonzÃ¡lez & Giuliano Masiero, 2011. "Disentangling spillover effects of antibiotic consumption: a spatial panel approach," Quaderni della facoltÃ di Scienze economiche dell'UniversitÃ di Lugano 1106, USI Università della Svizzera italiana.
- Massimo Filippini & Giuliano Masiero & Karine Moschetti, 2007. "Characteristics of demand for antibiotics in primary care: an almost ideal demand system approach," Quaderni della facoltÃ di Scienze economiche dell'UniversitÃ di Lugano 0701, USI Università della Svizzera italiana.
- Filippini, M. & Masiero, G. & Moschetti, K., 2009. "Regional consumption of antibiotics: A demand system approach," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 26(6), pages 1389-1397, November.
- Filippini, Massimo & Masiero, Giuliano & Moschetti, Karine, 2006. "Socioeconomic determinants of regional differences in outpatient antibiotic consumption: Evidence from Switzerland," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 78(1), pages 77-92, August.
- Niklas Rudholm, 2003. "Competition and substitutability in the Swedish pharmaceuticals market," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(14), pages 1609-1617.
- Giuliano Masiero & Massimo Filippini & Matus Ferech & Herman Goossens, 2007. "Determinants of outpatient antibiotic consumption in Europe: bacterial resistance and drug prescribers," Quaderni della facoltÃ di Scienze economiche dell'UniversitÃ di Lugano 0702, USI Università della Svizzera italiana.
- Massimo Filippini & Giuliano Masiero & Karine Moschetti, 2010.
"Dispensing practices and antibiotic use,"
1006, Department of Economics and Technology Management, University of Bergamo.
- Massimo Filippini & Giuliano Masiero & Karine Moschetti, 2008. "Dispensing practices and antibiotic use," Quaderni della facoltÃ di Scienze economiche dell'UniversitÃ di Lugano 0808, USI Università della Svizzera italiana.
- Richard D. Smith & Milton Yago & Michael Millar & Joanna Coast, 2006. "A Macroeconomic Approach to Evaluating Policies to Contain Antimicrobial Resistance: A Case Study of Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA)," Applied Health Economics and Health Policy, Springer Healthcare | Adis, vol. 5(1), pages 55-65.
- Massimo Filippini & Fabian Heimsch & Giuliano Masiero, 2013. "Antibiotic consumption and the role of dispensing physicians," CEPRA working paper 1302, USI Università della Svizzera italiana.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.