A Linear Inverse Demand System
AbstractWe present an inverse demand that can be estimated in a linear form. The model is derived from a specification of the distance function which is parametrically similar to the cost function underlying the Almost Ideal Demand System. Simulation results suggest that this linear inverse demand system has good approximation properties.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Western Agricultural Economics Association in its journal Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
Volume (Year): 17 (1992)
Issue (Month): 02 (December)
Demand and Price Analysis;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hanoch, Giora, 1978. "Symmetric Duality and Polar Production Functions," Histoy of Economic Thought Chapters, in: Fuss, Melvyn & McFadden, Daniel (ed.), Production Economics: A Dual Approach to Theory and Applications, volume 1, chapter 2 McMaster University Archive for the History of Economic Thought.
- Lewbel, Arthur, 1987. "Aids, translog, and the Gorman polar form," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 161-163.
- Gould, Brian W. & Cox, Thomas L. & Perali, Carlo Federico, 1990. "The Demand For Fluid Milk Products In The U.S.: A Demand Systems Approach," Western Journal of Agricultural Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 15(01), July.
- Christensen, Laurits R. & Manser, Marilyn E., 1977. "Estimating U.S. consumer preferences for meat with a flexible utility function," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 5(1), pages 37-53, January.
- Moschini, GianCarlo & Meilke, Karl D., 1989. "Modeling the Pattern of Structural Change in U.S. Meat Demand," Staff General Research Papers 11266, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Eales, James S. & Unnevehr, Laurian J., 1994. "The inverse almost ideal demand system," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 38(1), pages 101-115, January.
- Moro, Daniele & Sckokai, Paolo, 1999. "A Quadratic Inverse Demand System," 1999 Annual meeting, August 8-11, Nashville, TN 21560, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Beach, Robert H. & Holt, Matthew T., 1999.
"Incorporating Quadratic Scale Curves In Inverse Demand Systems,"
1999 Annual meeting, August 8-11, Nashville, TN
21579, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Robert H. Beach & Matthew T. Holt, 2001. "Incorporating Quadratic Scale Curves in Inverse Demand Systems," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(1), pages 230-245.
- Steen, Marie, 2006. "Flower Power at the Dutch Flower Auctions? Application of an Inverse Almost Ideal Demand System," 2006 Annual Meeting, August 12-18, 2006, Queensland, Australia 25441, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Yeboah, Godfred & Maynard, Leigh J., 2004. "The Impact Of Bse, Fmd, And U.S. Export Promotion Expenditures On Japanese Meat Demand," 2004 Annual meeting, August 1-4, Denver, CO 19978, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Jung, Jione, 2009. "Effects Of The Suspension Agreement: U.S.-Mexico Fresh Tomatoes Antidumping Case," 2009 Annual Meeting, July 26-28, 2009, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 49285, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Gabrielyan, Gnel & Marsh, Thomas L., 2012. "Domestic and Export Price Formation of U.S. Hops," 2012 Annual Meeting, August 12-14, 2012, Seattle, Washington 124722, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Färe, Rolf & Grosskopf, Shawna & Hayes, Kathy J. & Margaritis, Dimitris, 2008. "Estimating demand with distance functions: Parameterization in the primal and dual," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 147(2), pages 266-274, December.
- Asche, Frank & Zhang, Dengjun, 2013. "Testing Structural Changes in the U.S. Whitefish Import Market: An Inverse Demand System Approach," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 42(3), December.
- Rodriguez, Nestor & Eales, James S., 2012. "Structural Change via Threshold Effects: Estimating U.S. Meat Demand Using Smooth Transition Functions," 2012 Annual Meeting, August 12-14, 2012, Seattle, Washington 124366, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Comeau, Allison & Mittelhammer, Ronald C. & Wahl, Thomas I., 1997. "Assessing The Effectiveness Of Mpp And Tea Advertising And Promotion Efforts In The Japanese Market For Meats," Journal of Food Distribution Research, Food Distribution Research Society, vol. 28(2), July.
- Richards, Timothy J., 2002. "Dynamic Strategic Interaction: A Synthesis Of Modeling Methods," Western Economics Forum, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 1(01).
- Richards, Timothy J. & Patterson, Paul M., 2002. "Strategic Interaction With Multiple Tools: A New Empirical Model," Working Papers 28545, Arizona State University, Morrison School of Agribusiness and Resource Management.
- Lee, Min-Yang A. & Thunberg, Eric M., 2012. "An Inverse Demand System for New England Groundfish: Welfare Analysis of the Transition to Catch Share Management," 2012 Annual Meeting, August 12-14, 2012, Seattle, Washington 123879, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Sooriyakumar Krishnapillai, 2012. "Impact of NAFTA on the Preference for Meat Consumption in USA: An Inverse Demand System Approach," International Journal of Economics and Financial Issues, Econjournals, vol. 2(1), pages 79-84.
- Richards, Timothy J. & Kagan, Albert & Gao, Xiaoming, 1997. "Factors Influencing Changes In Potato And Potato Substitute Demand," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 26(1), April.
- Comeau, Allison & Mittelhammer, Ronald C. & Wahl, Thomas I., 1996. "Assessing the Effectiveness of MPP Meat Advertising and Promotion in the Japanese Market," Research Bulletins 122992, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.