Dispensing practices and antibiotic use
AbstractThe regulation on prescribing and dispensing of antibiotics has a double purpose: to enhance access to antibiotic treatment and to reduce the inappropriate use of drugs. Nevertheless, incentives to dispensing physicians may lead to inefficiencies. We sketch a theoretical model of the market for antibiotic treatment and empirically investigate the impact of self-dispensing on the per capita outpatient antibiotic consumption using data from small geographic areas in Switzerland. We find evidence that a greater proportion of dispensing practices is associated with higher levels of antibiotic use. This suggests that health authorities have a margin to adjust economic incentives on dispensing practices in order to reduce antibiotic misuse.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by USI Università della Svizzera italiana in its series Quaderni della facoltà di Scienze economiche dell'Università di Lugano with number 0808.
Length: 28 pages
Date of creation: Oct 2008
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.library.lu.usi.ch
Dispensing; Antibiotic use;
Other versions of this item:
- I11 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - Analysis of Health Care Markets
- I18 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - Government Policy; Regulation; Public Health
- D12 - Microeconomics - - Household Behavior - - - Consumer Economics: Empirical Analysis
- D21 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Firm Behavior: Theory
- D43 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing - - - Oligopoly and Other Forms of Market Imperfection
- D81 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Criteria for Decision-Making under Risk and Uncertainty
- D82 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Asymmetric and Private Information; Mechanism Design
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sara Ellison Fisher & Iain Cockburn & Zvi Griliches & Jerry Hausman, 1997.
"Characteristics of Demand for Pharmaceutical Products: An Examination of Four Cephalosporins,"
RAND Journal of Economics,
The RAND Corporation, vol. 28(3), pages 426-446, Autumn.
- Ellison, S & Cockburn, I & Griliches, A & Hausman, J, 1996. "Characteristics of Demand for Pharmaceutical Products : an Examination of four Cephalosporins," Working papers 96-24, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Fredrik Carlsen & Jostein Grytten, 1998. "More physicians: improved availability or induced demand?," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 7(6), pages 495-508.
- Hunt-McCool, Janet & Kiker, B F & Ng, Ying Chu, 1994. "Estimates of the Demand for Medical Care under Different Functional Forms," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 9(2), pages 201-18, April-Jun.
- Michael Baye & Robert Maness & Steven Wiggins, 1997. "Demand systems and the true subindex of the cost of living for pharmaceuticals," Applied Economics, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 29(9), pages 1179-1190.
- Odd Rune Straume & Kurt Brekke & Robert Nuscheler, 2004.
"Gatekeeping In Health Care,"
Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2004
83, Royal Economic Society.
- Grytten, Jostein & Sorensen, Rune, 2003. "Practice variation and physician-specific effects," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 403-418, May.
- Kurt R. Brekke & Robert Nuscheler & Odd Rune Straume, 2006.
"Quality and Location Choices under Price Regulation,"
Journal of Economics & Management Strategy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 15(1), pages 207-227, 03.
- Brekke, Kurt R. & Nuscheler, Robert & Straume, Odd Rune, 2002. "Quality and location choices under price regulation," Working Papers in Economics 24/02, University of Bergen, Department of Economics.
- Brekke, Kurt R. & Nuscheler, Robert & Straume, Odd Rune, 2002. "Quality and location choices under price regulation," Discussion Papers, Research Unit: Market Processes and Governance FS IV 02-28, Social Science Research Center Berlin (WZB).
- Gravelle, Hugh & Masiero, Giuliano, 2000.
"Quality incentives in a regulated market with imperfect information and switching costs: capitation in general practice,"
Journal of Health Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 19(6), pages 1067-1088, November.
- Hugh Gravelle & Giuliano Masiero, . "Quality incentives in a regulated market with imperfect information and switching costs: capitation in general practice," Discussion Papers 00/18, Department of Economics, University of York.
- Filippini, Massimo & Masiero, Giuliano & Moschetti, Karine, 2009. "Small area variations and welfare loss in the use of outpatient antibiotics," Health Economics, Policy and Law, Cambridge University Press, vol. 4(01), pages 55-77, January.
- Izabela Jelovac, 2001. "Physicians' payment contracts, treatment decisions and diagnosis accuracy," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 10(1), pages 9-25.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alessio Tutino).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.