Specific Human Capital as a Source of Superior Team Performance
AbstractWe empirically investigate the performance effect of team-specific human capital in highly interactive teams. Based on the tenets of the resource-based view of the firm and on the ideas of typical learning functions, we hypothesize that team members’ shared experience in working together have a positive effect on team performance, but at diminishing rates. When we hold constant a team’s stock of general human capital and other potential drivers, we find support for this prediction. We also discuss the implications concerning investment decisions into human capital as well as the transferability of our findings to other contexts.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by LMU Munich School of Management in its journal Schmalenbach Business Review.
Volume (Year): 63 (2011)
Issue (Month): 4 (October)
Human Capital; Learning; Rexource-Based View of the Firm; Team Performance;
Other versions of this item:
- Egon Franck & Stephan NÃ¼esch & Jan Pieper, 2009. "Specific Human Capital as a Source of Superior Team Performance," Working Papers 0030, University of Zurich, Center for Research in Sports Administration (CRSA).
- Egon Franck & Stephan Nüesch & Jan Pieper, 2009. "Specific Human Capital as a Source of Superior Team Performance," Working Papers 0113, University of Zurich, Institute for Strategy and Business Economics (ISU).
- C12 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Hypothesis Testing: General
- C23 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Spatio-temporal Models
- M54 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Personnel Economics - - - Labor Management
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nelson, Phillip, 1970. "Information and Consumer Behavior," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, University of Chicago Press, vol. 78(2), pages 311-29, March-Apr.
- Franck, Egon & NÃ¼esch, Stephan, 2010. "The effect of talent disparity on team productivity in soccer," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 218-229, April.
- Egon Franck & Stephan Nüesch, 2007.
"Wage Dispersion and Team Performance - An Empirical Panel Analysis,"
0073, University of Zurich, Institute for Strategy and Business Economics (ISU).
- Egon Franck & Stephan NÃ¼esch, 2007. "Wage Dispersion and Team Performance - An Empirical Panel Analysis," Working Papers 0017, University of Zurich, Center for Research in Sports Administration (CRSA).
- S.A. Lippman & R.P. Rumelt, 1982. "Uncertain Imitability: An Analysis of Interfirm Differences in Efficiency under Competition," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 13(2), pages 418-438, Autumn.
- Alchian, Armen A & Demsetz, Harold, 1972.
"Production , Information Costs, and Economic Organization,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 62(5), pages 777-95, December.
- Armen A. Alchian & Harold Demsetz, 1971. "Production, Information Costs and Economic Organizations," UCLA Economics Working Papers 10A, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Gary S. Becker, 1962. "Investment in Human Capital: A Theoretical Analysis," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, University of Chicago Press, vol. 70, pages 9.
- Jovanovic, Boyan, 1979.
"Job Matching and the Theory of Turnover,"
Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 87(5), pages 972-90, October.
- Thomas Sargent, . "Matlab code for Jovanovic's matching model," QM&RBC Codes, Quantitative Macroeconomics & Real Business Cycles 24, Quantitative Macroeconomics & Real Business Cycles.
- Audas, Rick & Dobson, Stephen & Goddard, John, 2002. "The impact of managerial change on team performance in professional sports," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 54(6), pages 633-650.
- R. H. Koning, 2003. "An econometric evaluation of the effect of firing a coach on team performance," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(5), pages 555-564.
- Bernd Frick & Gunnar Pietzner & Joachim Prinz, 2007. "Career Duration a Competitive Environment: The Labor Market for Soccer Players in Germany," Eastern Economic Journal, Eastern Economic Association, vol. 33(3), pages 429-442, Summer.
- Jay B. Barney, 1986. "Strategic Factor Markets: Expectations, Luck, and Business Strategy," Management Science, INFORMS, INFORMS, vol. 32(10), pages 1231-1241, October.
- Lawrence M. Kahn, 2000. "The Sports Business as a Labor Market Laboratory," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 14(3), pages 75-94, Summer.
- Claudio Lucifora & Rob Simmons, 2003. "Superstar Effects in Sport: Evidence From Italian Soccer," Journal of Sports Economics, , vol. 4(1), pages 35-55, February.
- Ekaterini Kyriazidou, 1997. "Estimation of a Panel Data Sample Selection Model," Econometrica, Econometric Society, Econometric Society, vol. 65(6), pages 1335-1364, November.
- Craig Depken, 1999.
"Free-Agency and the Competitiveness of Major League Baseball,"
Review of Industrial Organization, Springer,
Springer, vol. 14(3), pages 205-217, May.
- Craig A. Depken II, 1996. "Free-Agency and the Competitiveness of Major-League Baseball," Industrial Organization, EconWPA 9610001, EconWPA, revised 31 Oct 1996.
- Steven H. Sandell & David Shapiro, 1980. "Work Expectations, Human Capital Accumulation, and the Wages of Young Women," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 15(3), pages 335-353.
- Shleifer, Andrei & Vishny, Robert W., 1989. "Management entrenchment : The case of manager-specific investments," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 123-139, November.
- Scully, Gerald W., 1995. "The Market Structure of Sports," University of Chicago Press Economics Books, University of Chicago Press, edition 1, number 9780226743950, March.
- Johnson, William R, 1978. "A Theory of Job Shopping," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, MIT Press, vol. 92(2), pages 261-78, May.
- Klein, Benjamin & Crawford, Robert G & Alchian, Armen A, 1978. "Vertical Integration, Appropriable Rents, and the Competitive Contracting Process," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, University of Chicago Press, vol. 21(2), pages 297-326, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (sbr) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask sbr to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.