UK monetary policy under inflation forecast targeting: is behaviour consistent with symmetric preferences?
AbstractThis paper examines how the Bank of England conducts monetary policy in practice and assesses its policy preferences. Our empirical results using monthly ex post inflation forecast suggest that pursued policy can be characterized by a nonlinear policy reaction function with a deflation bias. We also find evidence of a target range as opposed to a point target for the 1992--5 period. These results are however, not robust to the use of the Bank's own forecast which suggests that pursued policy is consistent with a symmetric point target for inflation. In practice however, inflation has been consistently below the Bank's inflation target in recent years. We argue that a plausible explanation for this is that the MPC had systematically over predicted inflation, which in turn may have resulted in overly restrictive policy. Copyright 2006, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Oxford University Press in its journal Oxford Economic Papers.
Volume (Year): 58 (2006)
Issue (Month): 4 (October)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://oep.oupjournals.org/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Patrick Minford & Naveen Srinivasan, 2008.
"Are Central Bank Preferences Asymmetric? A Comment,"
Banca Monte dei Paschi di Siena SpA, vol. 37(1), pages 119-126, 02.
- Minford, Patrick & Srinivasan, Naveen, 2008. "Are Central Bank Preferences Asymmetric? A Comment," Cardiff Economics Working Papers E2008/5, Cardiff University, Cardiff Business School, Economics Section.
- Campbell Leith & Ioana Moldovan & Raffaele Rossi, 2009.
" Monetary and Fiscal Policy under Deep Habits,"
CDMA Conference Paper Series
0905, Centre for Dynamic Macroeconomic Analysis.
- Campbell Leith & Ioana Moldovan & Raffaele Rossi, 2009. "Monetary and fiscal policy under deep habits," Working Papers 2009_32, Business School - Economics, University of Glasgow.
- Leith, Campbell & Moldovan, Ioana & Rossi, Raffaele, 2009. "Monetary and Fiscal Policy under Deep Habits," SIRE Discussion Papers 2009-47, Scottish Institute for Research in Economics (SIRE).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.