Export Sectors and Rural Development
AbstractThe export base hypothesis is that a region’s growth is led by export demand, given perfectly elastic factor supplies. It is a rationale for “sector-based” rural development policies, and it is formalized by input-output models. But it is contested by modern trade, migration, and growth theories, and there is little research about its empirical relevance. We investigate the hypothesis for contemporary U.S. rural development by estimating the influence of export sector employment on subsequent rural development outcomes. The results reject the hypothesis that emphasizing traditional export employment results in rural growth, reject the assumption of perfectly elastic factor supply, and support alternative explanations. Copyright 2009, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Agricultural and Applied Economics Association in its journal American Journal of Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 91 (2009)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Heather M. Stephens & Mark D. Partridge, 2011. "Do Entrepreneurs Enhance Economic Growth in Lagging Regions?," Growth and Change, Gatton College of Business and Economics, University of Kentucky, vol. 42(4), pages 431-465, December.
- David Holland, 2010. "What happens when exports expand: some ideas for closure of regional computable general equilibrium models," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 45(2), pages 439-451, October.
- Weber, Jeremy G. & Wall, Conor & Brown, Jason & Hertz, Tom, 2013. "Crop Prices, Agricultural Revenues, and the Local Economy of the U.S. Heartland," 2013 Annual Meeting, August 4-6, 2013, Washington, D.C. 150404, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Brown, Jason P. & Pender, John & Wiser, Ryan & Lantz, Eric & Hoen, Ben, 2012. "Ex post analysis of economic impacts from wind power development in U.S. counties," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(6), pages 1743-1754.
- Partridge, Mark D. & Olfert, M. Rose & Ali, Kamar, 2009. "Towards a Rural Development Policy: Lessons from the United States and Canada," Journal of Regional Analysis and Policy, Mid-Continent Regional Science Association, vol. 39(2).
- Mark Partridge & Rose Olfert, 2011.
"The Winners' Choice: Sustainable Economic Strategies for Successful 21st Century Regions,"
ERSA conference papers
ersa11p1655, European Regional Science Association.
- Mark D. Partridge & M. Rose Olfert, 2011. "The Winners' Choice: Sustainable Economic Strategies for Successful 21st-Century Regions," Applied Economic Perspectives and Policy, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 33(2), pages 143-178.
- Mark D., Partridge & M. Rose, Olfert, 2010. "The Winner's Choice: Sustainable Economic Strategies for Successful 21st Century Regions," MPRA Paper 29646, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Fleming, David A. & Measham, Thomas G., 2013. "Disentangling the Natural Resources Curse: National and Regional Socioeconomic Impacts of Resource Windfalls," 2013 Annual Meeting, August 4-6, 2013, Washington, D.C. 150526, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Maureen Kilkenny, 2010. "Urban/Regional Economics And Rural Development," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 50(1), pages 449-470.
- Cooke, Stephen C. & Watson, Philip, 2011. "A Comparison of Regional Export Enhancement and Import Substitution Economic Development Strategies," Journal of Regional Analysis and Policy, Mid-Continent Regional Science Association, vol. 41(1).
- Elena G. Irwin & Andrew M. Isserman & Maureen Kilkenny & Mark D. Partridge, 2010. "A Century of Research on Rural Development and Regional Issues," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 92(2), pages 522-553.
- Goetz, Stephan J. & Partridge, Mark D. & Deller, Steven C. & Fleming, David A., 2010. "Evaluating U.S. Rural Entrepreneurship Policy," Journal of Regional Analysis and Policy, Mid-Continent Regional Science Association, vol. 40(1).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.