Rural Growth and the Rural Capital Account
AbstractThis technical report contributes to NC 1014's efforts to understand and improve the contribution of rural financial markets for rural growth. We investigate the ‗export-led growth' hypothesis about rural development, with particular emphasis on the implications of regional current account surpluses/capital account deficits, and deposits in commercial banks. We find that in just one case, subsequent rural deposits depend positively on prior rural export sector activity. But these deposits do not appear to support local investment: both subsequent rural employment and rural income growth are significantly negatively correlated with initial export intensity.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Regional Research Committee NC-1014: Agricultural and Rural Finance Markets in Transition in its series Proceedings: 2007 Agricultural and Rural Finance Markets in Transition, October 4-5, 2007, St. Louis, Missouri with number 48145.
Date of creation: 2008
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.agfin.ifas.ufl.edu/
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-06-10 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stephan J. Goetz & David L. Debertin, 1996. "Rural Population Decline in the 1980s: Impacts of Farm Structure and Federal Farm Programs," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 78(3), pages 517-529.
- Steven C. Deller & Tsung-Hsiu (Sue) Tsai & David W. Marcouiller & Donald B.K. English, 2001. "The Role of Amenities and Quality of Life In Rural Economic Growth," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(2), pages 352-365.
- Kilkenny, Maureen & Jolly, Robert W., 2005.
"Are Rural Credit Markets Competitive? Is There Room for Competition in Rural Credit Markets?,"
Staff General Research Papers
12634, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Kilkenny, Maureen & Jolly, Robert W., 2005. "Are Rural Credit Markets Competitive? Is There Room for Competition in Rural Credit Markets?," Choices, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 20(1).
- Davis, James C. & Henderson, J. Vernon, 2003. "Evidence on the political economy of the urbanization process," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(1), pages 98-125, January.
- Peter G. McGregor & Eric P. McVittie & J. Kim Swales & Ya Ping Yin, 2000. "The Neoclassical Economic Base Multiplier," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 40(1), pages 1-31.
- Collender, Robert N. & Shaffer, Sherrill, 2003.
"Local bank office ownership, deposit control, market structure, and economic growth,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 27-57, January.
- Collender, Robert N. & Shaffer, Sherrill L., 2000. "Local Bank Office Ownership, Deposit Control, Market Structure, And Economic Growth," Technical Bulletins 33555, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.