Rural Population Decline in the 1980s: Impacts of Farm Structure and Federal Farm Programs
AbstractFederal farm program benefits accrue disproportionately to large-scale farm operators, and continue largely because of the political influence of their beneficiaries. Some writers argue that these payments stem the movement of labor out of agriculture, ultimately reducing the pace of rural depopulation. Here, a theoretical model linking farm program payments to population loss is presented and empirically estimated for the years 1980–90. Larger farm program payments as a share of total cash marketing receipts were associated with greater population losses from rural counties. This result holds after controlling for other economic variables affecting population migration from rural areas. Copyright 1996, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Agricultural and Applied Economics Association in its journal American Journal of Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 78 (1996)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Sullivan, Patrick & Hellerstein, Daniel & Hansen, LeRoy T. & Johansson, Robert C. & Koenig, Steven R. & Lubowski, Ruben N. & McBride, William D. & McGranahan, David A. & Roberts, Michael J. & Vogel, S, 2004. "The Conservation Reserve Program: Economic Implications for Rural America," Agricultural Economics Reports 33987, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Fertő, Imre, 2002.
"A mezőgazdasági termelés szerkezetének változásai a fejlett országokban, I. Miért a családi gazdaság a meghatározó üzemforma a fejlett országok mezőgazdaságában?
[Changes in the st," Közgazdasági Szemle (Economic Review - monthly of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences), Közgazdasági Szemle Alapítvány (Economic Review Foundation), vol. 0(7), pages 574-596.
- Jo Swinnen & Kristine Van Herck & Thijs Vandemoortele, 2012.
"The Experience Economy as the Future for European Agriculture and Food?,"
LICOS Discussion Papers
31312, LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven.
- Swinnen, Johan F.M. & Van Herck, Kristine & Vandemoortele, Thijs, 2012. "The Experience Economy as the Future for European Agriculture and Food?," Bio-based and Applied Economics Journal, Italian Association of Agricultural and Applied Economics (AIEAA), issue 1, April.
- Zhang, Xinxin & Van der Sluis, Evert, 2006. "U.S. Agricultural Labor Out-migration Determinants, 1939-2004," 2006 Annual meeting, July 23-26, Long Beach, CA 21412, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Kilkenny, Maureen & Partridge, Mark D., 2008. "Rural Growth and the Rural Capital Account," Proceedings: 2007 Agricultural and Rural Finance Markets in Transition, October 4-5, 2007, St. Louis, Missouri 48145, Regional Research Committee NC-1014: Agricultural and Rural Finance Markets in Transition.
- Zhou, Jian-Ming, 1999. "Preserving Small While Strengthening Large Farmers In The Usa And Oecd," Miscellaneous Papers 11833, Agecon Search.
- Nordin, Martin, 2013. "Does the Decoupling Reform Affect Agricultural Employment in Sweden? Evidence from an Exogenous Change," Working Papers 2013:40, Lund University, Department of Economics.
- Blank, Steven C., 2003. "Where Is American Agriculture in Its "Life Cycle"?," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 28(03), December.
- Mann, Stefan, 2006. "Population development in rural Switzerland: Do sectors matter?," Working Papers 30710, Agroscope Reckenholz Tanikon (ART).
- Berlinschi, Ruxanda & Swinnen, Johan F.M. & Van Herck, Kristine, 2012. "Subsidies and agricultural employment: The education channel," 2012 Conference, August 18-24, 2012, Foz do Iguacu, Brazil 126776, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Olper, Alessandro & Raimondi, Valentina & Cavicchioli, Daniele & Vigani, Mauro, . "Reallocation of Agricultural Labor and Farm Subsidies: Evidence From the EU Regions," 2012 Conference, August 18-24, 2012, Foz do Iguacu, Brazil 126645, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Tocco, Barbara & Davidova, Sophia & Bailey, Alastair, 2012. "Labour Adjustments In Agriculture: Evidence From Romania," 132nd Seminar, October 25-27, 2012, Skopje, Republic of Macedonia 139503, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Goetz, Stephan J. & Partridge, Mark D. & Deller, Steven C. & Fleming, David A., 2010. "Evaluating U.S. Rural Entrepreneurship Policy," Journal of Regional Analysis and Policy, Mid-Continent Regional Science Association, vol. 40(1).
- McGranahan, David A. & Sullivan, Patrick & Hallahan, Charles B., 2003. "The Impact of Conservation Reserve Program Enrollment on Local Job Growth," Proceedings: 2003 Regional Committee NCT-194, October 6-7, 2003; Kansas City, Missouri 132521, Regional Research Committee NC-1014: Agricultural and Rural Finance Markets in Transition.
- Grubesic, Tony H. & Matisziw, Timothy C. & Murray, Alan T., 2012. "Assessing geographic coverage of the essential air service program," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 46(2), pages 124-135.
- Marre, Alexander W., 2009. "Rural Out-Migration, Income, and Poverty: Are Those Who Move Truly Better Off?," 2009 Annual Meeting, July 26-28, 2009, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 49346, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Partridge, Mark D. & Olfert, M. Rose & Ali, Kamar, 2009. "Towards a Rural Development Policy: Lessons from the United States and Canada," Journal of Regional Analysis and Policy, Mid-Continent Regional Science Association, vol. 39(2).
- Jens Abildtrup & Virginie Piguet & Bertrand Schmitt, 2011. "The impact of agro-food industry on employment and population changes: The case of Denmark and France'," ERSA conference papers ersa10p1622, European Regional Science Association.
- Maureen Kilkenny, 2010. "Urban/Regional Economics And Rural Development," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 50(1), pages 449-470.
- Huang, T. & Orazem, Peter & Wohlgemuth, Darin, 2002.
"Rural Population Growth, 1950-1990: The Roles of Human Capital, Industry Structure and Government Policy,"
Staff General Research Papers
5061, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Tzu-Ling Huang & Peter F. Orazem & Darin Wohlgemuth, 2002. "Rural Population Growth, 1950–1990: The Roles of Human Capital, Industry Structure, and Government Policy," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 84(3), pages 615-627.
- Blank, Steven C., 2002. "Future Prospects For Farm Financial Conditions," Agricultural Outlook Forum 2002 33502, United States Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Outlook Forum.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.