University Governance and Academic Tenure: A Property Rights Explanation
AbstractThis paper provides an efficiency-based explanation for several features of university governance including academic tenure. In this model, tenure is part of a broader system of organizational governance where the non-profit status of the university requires faculty members to evaluate and monitor both university administrators and trustees. The nature of the employment contract provides the incentives for the faculty to behave as residual claimants. Tenure is necessary for faculty to be willing to assume the roles normally associated with ownership without fear or reprisal from trustees and administrators.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen in its journal Journal of Institutional and Theoretical Economics.
Volume (Year): 153 (1997)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.mohr.de/jite
Postal: Mohr Siebeck GmbH & Co. KG, P.O.Box 2040, 72010 Tübingen, Germany
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G30 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - General
- L31 - Industrial Organization - - Nonprofit Organizations and Public Enterprise - - - Nonprofit Institutions; NGOs
- J41 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Particular Labor Markets - - - Labor Contracts
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Guillaume Biot-Paquerot & Jean-Luc Rossignol, 2006. "Performance Management In The Public Sector:," Post-Print hal-00137200, HAL.
- Glazer, A. & Kanniainen, V., 2000.
"Term Length and the Quality of Appointments,"
University of Helsinki, Department of Economics
485, Department of Economics.
- Heining, Jörg & Jerger, Jürgen & Lingens, Jörg, 2007. "Success in the Academic Labour Market for Economics - The German Experience," University of Regensburg Working Papers in Business, Economics and Management Information Systems 422, University of Regensburg, Department of Economics.
- Ferris, J. Stephen & McKee, Michael, 2005. "Matching Candidates with Academic Teams: A Case for Academic Tenure," International Review of Law and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(2), pages 290-310, June.
- Guillaume Biot-Paquerot, 2007. "Efficacité Du Système D'Évaluation Public : Le Cas Des Universités," Post-Print halshs-00543212, HAL.
- BrownJr., William O., 2001. "Faculty participation in university governance and the effects on university performance," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 44(2), pages 129-143, February.
- Biot-Paquerot, Guillaume, 2006.
"Organes de gouvernance et paradoxe démocratique: Le cas des conseils d’administration d’université
[Democratic paradox and governance mediums: the case of university boards]," MPRA Paper 2302, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- William O. Brown, Jr., . "Faculty Participation in University Governance and the Effects on University Performance," Claremont Colleges Working Papers 1999-25, Claremont Colleges.
- Amihai Glazer & Vesa Kanniainen, 2007. "Short-term leaders should make long-term appointments," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer, vol. 14(1), pages 55-69, February.
- Jörg Heining & Jürgen Jerger & Jörg Lingens, 2008. "Deutsche Hochschulkarrieren im Fach Volkswirtschaftslehre. Eine deskriptive Analyse von Lebenslaufdaten," Perspektiven der Wirtschaftspolitik, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 9(3), pages 306-328, 08.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Wolpert).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.