Inflation Dynamics and Monetary Strategies: Evidence from Six Industrialized Countries
AbstractIn this paper we address the issue whether a switch to inflation targeting can help build monetary policy credibility and can substitute for a track record of low inflation. To this end, we empirically evaluate the success of inflation targeting in Canada, New Zealand and the United Kingdom and investigate to what extent the joint dynamic processes of inflation and nominal interest rates in these three countries have experienced a structural break at the time of the regime switch to inflation targeting. The experience of Canada, New Zealand and the United Kingdom is matched with the United States, Australia and Germany. We find that the effectiveness of the direct inflation targeting approach to quickly increase low-inflation credibility so far is ambiguous and that this strategy is not clearly superior to intermediate monetary strategies. Copyright Kluwer Academic Publishers 1998
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Open Economies Review.
Volume (Year): 9 (1998)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100323
credibility; monetary policy; inflation targeting; structural breaks;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rogoff, Kenneth, 1985. "The Optimal Degree of Commitment to an Intermediate Monetary Target," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 100(4), pages 1169-89, November.
- Ball, Laurence, 1995.
"Disinflation with imperfect credibility,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 5-23, February.
- Canzoneri, Matthew B, 1985.
"Monetary Policy Games and the Role of Private Information,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 75(5), pages 1056-70, December.
- Matthew B. Canzoneri, 1983. "Monetary policy games and the role of private information," International Finance Discussion Papers 249, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Walsh, Carl E, 1995. "Optimal Contracts for Central Bankers," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 85(1), pages 150-67, March.
- Pierre-Richard AgÃ©nor & Mark P. Taylor, 1992.
"Testing for Credibility Effects,"
IMF Staff Papers,
Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 39(3), pages 545-571, September.
- Svensson, Lars E O, 1995.
"The Swedish Experience of an Inflation Target,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1103, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Canzoneri, Matthew B & Nolan, Charles & Yates, Tony, 1996.
"Mechanisms for Achieving Monetary Stability: Inflation Targeting Versus the ERM,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1418, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Canzoneri, Matthew B & Nolan, Charles & Yates, Anthony, 1997. "Mechanisms for Achieving Monetary Stability: Inflation Targeting versus the ERM," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 29(1), pages 46-60, February.
- Jeroen J. M. Kremers, 1990. "Gaining Policy Credibility for a Disinflation: Ireland's Experience in the EMS," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 37(1), pages 116-145, March.
- Persson, Torsten & Tabellini, Guido, 1993. "Designing institutions for monetary stability," Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 53-84, December.
- Muscatelli, V Anton & Tirelli, Patrizio & Trecroci, Carmine, 2002.
"Does Institutional Change Really Matter? Inflation Targets, Central Bank Reform and Interest Rate Policy in the OECD Countries,"
University of Manchester, vol. 70(4), pages 487-527, Special I.
- Anton Muscatelli & Patrizio Tirelli & Carmine Trecroci, 2000. "Does Institutional Change Really Matter? Inflation Targets, Central Bank Reform and Interest Rate Policy in the OECD Countries," CESifo Working Paper Series 278, CESifo Group Munich.
- Anton Muscatelli & Patrzio Tirelli & Carmine Trecroci, 1998. "Does Institutional Change Really Matter? Inflation Targets, Central Bank Reform And Interest Rate Policy In The Oecd Countries," Working Papers 1999_20, Business School - Economics, University of Glasgow, revised Jul 1999.
- Baltensperger, Ernst & Fischer, Andreas M. & Jordan, Thomas J., 2007.
"Strong goal independence and inflation targets,"
European Journal of Political Economy,
Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 88-105, March.
- Dai, Meixing, 2007.
"The design of a ‘two-pillar’ monetary policy strategy,"
14403, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Mar 2009.
- Dai, Meixing, 2009. "The Design of a 'Two-Pillar' Monetary Policy Strategy," Economics Discussion Papers 2009-29, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- V. Anton Muscatelli & Patrizio Tirelli & Carmine Trecroci, 1998.
"Institutional Change, Inflation Targeting and the Stability of Interest Rate Reaction Functions,"
20, University of Milano-Bicocca, Department of Economics, revised Oct 1998.
- V. Anton Muscatelli & Patrizio Tirelli & Carmine Trecroci, 1998. "Institutional Change, Inflation Targeting and the Stability of Interest Rate Reaction Functions," Working Papers 9815, Business School - Economics, University of Glasgow, revised Aug 1998.
- Dai, Meixing, 2009.
"On the role of money growth targeting under inflation targeting regime,"
13780, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Meixing DAI, 2009. "On the role of money growth targeting under inflation targeting regime," Working Papers of BETA 2009-11, Bureau d'Economie Théorique et Appliquée, UDS, Strasbourg.
- Holmes, Mark J. & Dutu, Richard & Cui, Xiaoman, 2009. "Real interest rates, inflation and the open economy: A regime-switching perspective on Australia and New Zealand," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 351-360, March.
- V A Muscatelli & Patrizio Tirelli, 1995. "Institutional Change, Inflation Targets and the Stability of Interest Rate Reaction Functions in OECD Economies"," Working Papers 9606, Business School - Economics, University of Glasgow, revised Apr 1996.
- Michael J. Dueker & Andreas M. Fischer, 2006. "Do inflation targeters outperform non-targeters?," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Sep, pages 431-450.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.