Information technology and the world economy
AbstractThe purpose of this paper is to analyze the impact of investment in information technology (IT) equipment and software on the recent resurgence in world economic growth. The crucial role of IT investment in the growth of the U.S. economy has been thoroughly documented and widely discussed. Jorgenson (2001) has shown that the remarkable behavior of IT prices is the key to understanding the resurgence of American economic growth. This behavior can be traced to developments in semiconductor technology that are widely understood by technologists and economists.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco in its journal Proceedings.
Volume (Year): (2005)
Issue (Month): ()
Other versions of this item:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Thompson, Herbert Jr. & Garbacz, Christopher, 2007. "Mobile, fixed line and Internet service effects on global productive efficiency," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 189-214, June.
- repec:hal:wpaper:halshs-00586632 is not listed on IDEAS
- Gilbert Cette & Anne Epaulard & Pauline Givord, 2009. "Productivity Growth: the Role of Institutions and Economic Policy," Economie et Statistique, Institut National de la Statistique et des Etudes Economiques, vol. 419, pages 3-10, August.
- Vu, Khuong M., 2013. "Information and Communication Technology (ICT) and Singapore’s economic growth," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 25(4), pages 284-300.
- Carmen Galve-Górriz & Ana Gargallo Castel, 2010. "Revisión del Estado de la sociedad de la información en España," REVISTA FACULTAD DE CIENCIAS ECONÓMICAS, UNIVERSIDAD MILITAR NUEVA GRANADA.
- Esteban Alfaro Cortés & José-Luis Alfaro Navarro, 2011. "Do ICT Influence Economic Growth and Human Development in European Union Countries?," International Advances in Economic Research, Springer, vol. 17(1), pages 28-44, February.
- Daniel Chiquiar & Manuel Ramos Francia, 2009. "Competitiveness and Growth of the Mexican Economy," Working Papers 2009-11, Banco de México.
- Francesco Venturini, 2009.
"The long-run impact of ICT,"
Springer, vol. 37(3), pages 497-515, December.
- Kubo, Akihiro, 2012. "The US tech pulse, stock prices, and exchange rate dynamics: Evidence from Asian developing countries," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(6), pages 680-687.
- Manuel Trajtenberg, 2005. "Innovation Policy for Development: an Overview," IDB Publications 46598, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Christophe Cahn & Arthur Saint-Guilhem, 2008.
"Potential output growth in several industrialised countries: a comparison,"
PSE Working Papers
- Christophe Cahn & Arthur Saint-Guilhem, 2010. "Potential output growth in several industrialised countries a comparison," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 39(1), pages 139-165, August.
- Cahn, Christophe & Saint-Guilhem, Arthur, 2007. "Potential output growth in several industrialised countries: a comparison," Working Paper Series 0828, European Central Bank.
- International Monetary Fund, 2007. "Asia Rising," IMF Working Papers 07/130, International Monetary Fund.
- Gilbert Cette & Yusuf Kocoglu & Jacques Mairesse, 2009.
"Productivity Growth and Levels in France, Japan, the United Kingdom and the United States in the Twentieth Century,"
NBER Working Papers
15577, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Cette, G. & Kocoglu, Y. & Mairesse, J., 2010. "Productivity Growth and Levels in France, Japan, the United Kingdom and the United States in the Twentieth Century," Working papers 271, Banque de France.
- Amavilah, Voxi Heinrich, 2006. "Intensity of technology use and per capita real GDP across some African countries," MPRA Paper 1675, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Florence Jaumotte & Irina Tytell, 2007. "How Has the Globalization of Labor Affected the Labor Income Share in Advanced Countries?," IMF Working Papers 07/298, International Monetary Fund.
- Chris Papageorgiou & Subir Lall & Florence Jaumotte, 2008. "Rising Income Inequality," IMF Working Papers 08/185, International Monetary Fund.
- Anne-Marie Mohammed & Eric Strobl, 2011. "Good Governance and Growth in Developing Countries: A Case Study of Regulatory Reforms in the Telecommunications Industry," Journal of Industry, Competition and Trade, Springer, vol. 11(1), pages 91-107, March.
- Edgardo M. Favaro, 2008. "Small States, Smart Solutions : Improving Connectivity and Increasing the Effectiveness of Public Services," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 6416, July.
- Hartmut Egger & Josef Falkinger, 2013. "Limited Consumer Attention in International Trade," CESifo Working Paper Series 4166, CESifo Group Munich.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Diane Rosenberger).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.