The Determinants of the Interest Rate Margins of Czech Banks
AbstractThe author examines the determinants of the interest rate margins of Czech banks by employing a bank-level dataset at quarterly frequency in 2000–2006. His main results are as follows. He finds that more efficient banks exhibit lower margins and there is no evidence that banks with lower margins compensate themselves with higher fees. Price stability contributes to lower margins. Higher capital adequacy is associated with lower margins, contributing to banking stability. Overall, the results indicate that the determinants of the interest rate margins of Czech banks are largely similar to those reported in other studies for developed countries.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences in its journal Finance a uver - Czech Journal of Economics and Finance.
Volume (Year): 59 (2009)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
commercial banks; interest rate margins; bank efficiency;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
- D40 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing - - - General
- P27 - Economic Systems - - Socialist Systems and Transition Economies - - - Performance and Prospects
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Demirguc, Asli & Huizinga, Harry, 1999.
"Determinants of Commercial Bank Interest Margins and Profitability: Some International Evidence,"
World Bank Economic Review,
World Bank Group, vol. 13(2), pages 379-408, May.
- Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Huizinga, Harry, 1998. "Determinants of commercial bank interest margins and profitability : some international evidence," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1900, The World Bank.
- Coricelli, Fabrizio & Roland, Isabelle, 2008. "Finance and Growth: When Does Credit Really Matter?," CEPR Discussion Papers 6885, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Maudos, Joaquin & Fernandez de Guevara, Juan, 2003.
"Factors Explaining the Interest Margin in the Banking Sectors of the European Union,"
15252, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Maudos, Joaquin & Fernandez de Guevara, Juan, 2004. "Factors explaining the interest margin in the banking sectors of the European Union," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(9), pages 2259-2281, September.
- Angbazo, Lazarus, 1997. "Commercial bank net interest margins, default risk, interest-rate risk, and off-balance sheet banking," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 55-87, January.
- Turnovec, Frantisek, 1999. "Privatization, ownership structure and transparency: how to measure the true involvement of the state," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 605-618, November.
- Jiri Podpiera & Laurent Weill, 2007.
"Bad Luck or Bad Management? Emerging Banking Market Experience,"
2007/5, Czech National Bank, Research Department.
- Podpiera, Jiri & Weill, Laurent, 2008. "Bad luck or bad management? Emerging banking market experience," Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, vol. 4(2), pages 135-148, June.
- Jirí Podpiera & Laurent Weill, 2008. "Bad luck or bad management? emerging banking market experience," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/14305, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Hawtrey, Kim & Liang, Hanyu, 2008. "Bank interest margins in OECD countries," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 249-260, December.
- Claeys, Sophie & Vander Vennet, Rudi, 2008. "Determinants of bank interest margins in Central and Eastern Europe: A comparison with the West," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 197-216, June.
- Kiviet, Jan F., 1995.
"On bias, inconsistency, and efficiency of various estimators in dynamic panel data models,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 53-78, July.
- Tom Doan, . "LSDVC: RATS procedure to estimate a dynamic FE model with correction for bias," Statistical Software Components RTS00111, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Strahan, Philip E, 2004. "Comment on "Regulations, Market Structure, Institutions, and the Cost of Financial Intermediation" by Asli Demirguc-Kunt, Luc Laeven, and Ross Levine," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 36(3), pages 623-26, June.
- Philip Brock & Helmut Franken, 2003. "Measuring the Determinants of Average and Marginal Bank Interest Rate Spreads in Chile, 1994-2001," Working Papers UWEC-2003-25, University of Washington, Department of Economics.
- Drakos, Kostas, 2003. "Assessing the success of reform in transition banking 10 years later: an interest margins analysis," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 309-317, April.
- Saunders, Anthony & Schumacher, Liliana, 2000. "The determinants of bank interest rate margins: an international study," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(6), pages 813-832, December.
- Kit, Pong Wong, 1997. "On the determinants of bank interest margins under credit and interest rate risks," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 251-271, February.
- Asli Demirguc-Kunt & Luc Laeven & Ross Levine, 2003.
"Regulations, Market Structure, Institutions, and the Cost of Financial Intermediation,"
NBER Working Papers
9890, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Asli Demirgüç-Kunt & Luc Laeven & Ross Levine, 2004. "Regulations, market structure, institutions, and the cost of financial intermediation," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, pages 593-626.
- Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Laeven, Luc & Levine, Ross, 2004. "Regulations, Market Structure, Institutions, and the Cost of Financial Intermediation," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 36(3), pages 593-622, June.
- Anca Pruteanu-Podpiera & Jiří Podpiera, 2008. "The Czech transition banking sector instability: the role of operational cost management," Economic Change and Restructuring, Springer, vol. 41(3), pages 209-219, September.
- Horváth, Roman & Podpiera, Anca, 2012.
"Heterogeneity in bank pricing policies: The Czech evidence,"
Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 87-108.
- Roman Horvath & Anca Maria Podpiera, 2009. "Heterogeneity in Bank Pricing Policies: The Czech Evidence," Working Papers 2009/8, Czech National Bank, Research Department.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lenka Herrmannova).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.