The effects of bank regulations, competition, and financial reforms on banks' performance
AbstractIn this paper, we examine the influence of bank regulation, concentration, and financial and institutional development on commercial bank margins and profitability across a broad selection of Middle East and North Africa (MENA) countries. The empirical results suggest that bank-specific characteristics, in particular bank capitalization and credit risk, have a positive and significant impact on banks' net interest margin, cost efficiency, and profitability. Also we find that macroeconomic and financial development indicators have no significant impact on net interest margins, except for inflation. Regulatory and institutional variables seem to have an impact on bank performance.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Emerging Markets Review.
Volume (Year): 12 (2011)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/620356
Bank interest margin Bank profitability Dynamic panel data and MENA region;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Sufian, Fadzlan & Habibullah, Muzafar Shah, 2012. "Globalizations and bank performance in China," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 221-239.
- Fadzlan Sufian, 2012. "Determinants of multinational banks’ subsidiary performance: the host and home country effects," Journal of Economic and Administrative Sciences, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 28(2), pages 130-155, August.
- Olson, Dennis & Zoubi, Taisier A., 2011. "Efficiency and bank profitability in MENA countries," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 94-110, June.
- Georgios Efthyvoulou & Canan Yildirim, 2013. "Market Power in CEE Banking Sectors and the Impact of the Global Financial Crisis," CASE Network Studies and Analyses 0452, CASE-Center for Social and Economic Research.
- Kutan, Ali M. & Ozsoz, Emre & Rengifo, Erick W., 2012. "Cross-sectional determinants of bank performance under deposit dollarization in emerging markets," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 478-492.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.