Factors influencing the profits and size of Greek banks operating abroad: a pooled time-series study
AbstractThis paper extends the literature on foreign banking by developing a model that attempts to explain the performance of Greek banks operating abroad using a balanced pooled time-series dataset. Five variables are drawn from the multinational banking literature and represent ownership-specific and location-specific factors. The profits of the subsidiaries operating abroad were found to be related to the profits of the parent bank, the trade between Greece and the host country, the difference in the GDP growth between the two countries, the years operating in the host market and the time trend. The size of the subsidiaries was found to be related to the size of the parent bank, the trade, the GDP growth, the years of operation and the time trend. Furthermore, the results indicate that models developed using variables drawn from the multinational banking literature provide a better description of the size of the subsidiaries of Greek banks operating abroad rather than their profits.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Financial Economics.
Volume (Year): 15 (2005)
Issue (Month): 10 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAFE20
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Douglas Nigh & Kang Rae Cho & Suresh Krishnan, 1986. "The Role of Location-Related Factors in U.S Banking Involvement Abroad: An Empirical Examination," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 17(3), pages 59-72, September.
- Allen N. Berger & Robert DeYoung & Hesna Genay & Gregory F. Udell, 2000.
"Globalization of financial institutions: evidence from cross-border banking performance,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
2000-04, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Allen N. Berger & Robert DeYoung & Hesna Genay & Gregory F. Udell, 1999. "Globalization of financial institutions: evidence from cross-border banking performance," Working Paper Series WP-99-25, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Rama Seth, 1992. "Profitability of foreign banks in the United States," Research Paper 9225, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Goldberg, Lawrence G. & Johnson, Denise, 1990. "The determinants of US banking activity abroad," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 123-137, June.
- Philip Molyneux & Rama Seth, 1996.
"Foreign banks, profits and commercial credit extension in the United States,"
9628, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Philip Molyneux & Rama Seth, 1998. "Foreign banks, profits and commercial credit extension in the United States," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 8(5), pages 533-539.
- Adolfo Barajas & Natalia Salazar & Roberto Steiner, 1999. "Foreign Investment in Colombia's Financial Sector," IMF Working Papers 99/150, International Monetary Fund.
- Grosse, Robert & Goldberg, Lawrence G., 1991. "Foreign bank activity in the United States: An analysis by country of origin," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 15(6), pages 1093-1112, December.
- Mahajan, Arvind & Rangan, Nanda & Zardkoohi, Asghar, 1996. "Cost structures in multinational and domestic banking," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 283-306, March.
- Williams, Barry, 1998. "Factors affecting the performance of foreign-owned banks in Australia: A cross-sectional study," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 197-219, February.
- Lensink, Robert & Hermes, Niels, 2004. "The short-term effects of foreign bank entry on domestic bank behaviour: Does economic development matter?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 553-568, March.
- Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Huizinga, Harry, 1998.
"Determinants of commercial bank interest margins and profitability : some international evidence,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
1900, The World Bank.
- Demirguc, Asli & Huizinga, Harry, 1999. "Determinants of Commercial Bank Interest Margins and Profitability: Some International Evidence," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 13(2), pages 379-408, May.
- Claessens, Stijn & Glaessner, Tom, 1998. "The internationalization of financial services in Asia," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1911, The World Bank.
- DeYoung, Robert & Nolle, Daniel E, 1996. "Foreign-Owned Banks in the United States: Earning Market Share or Buying It?," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 28(4), pages 622-36, November.
- Williams, Barry, 1998. "A pooled study of the profits and size of foreign banks in Australia," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 8(2-3), pages 211-231, September.
- Ball, Clifford A. & Tschoegl, Adrian E., 1982. "The Decision to Establish a Foreign Bank Branch or Subsidiary: An Application of Binary Classification Procedures," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 17(03), pages 411-424, September.
- Beverly Hirtle, 1991. "Factors affecting the competitiveness of internationally active financial institutions," Quarterly Review, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, issue Spr, pages 38-51.
- Sathye, Milind, 2001. "X-efficiency in Australian banking: An empirical investigation," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 613-630, March.
- Claessens, Stijn & Demirguc-Kunt, Asl[iota] & Huizinga, Harry, 2001. "How does foreign entry affect domestic banking markets?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(5), pages 891-911, May.
- K. Kosmidou & F. Pasiouras & M. Doumpos & C. Zopounidis, 2004. "Foreign versus domestic banks’ performance in the UK: a multicriteria approach," Computational Management Science, Springer, vol. 1(3), pages 329-343, October.
- Brimmer, Andrew F & Dahl, Frederick R, 1975. "Growth of American International Banking: Implications for Public Policy," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 30(2), pages 341-63, May.
- A.I. Dimitras & K. Kosmidou & A.K. Apostolou, 2010. "Bank efficiency estimation and the change of the accounting standards: evidence from Greece," International Journal of Managerial and Financial Accounting, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 2(1), pages 20-39.
- Chouliaras VASILIOS & Bogas CHRISTOS G., 2011. "Greek banks in the Balkan countries: conclusion derived from analysis of their balance sheets," Scientific Bulletin - Economic Sciences, University of Pitesti, vol. 10(1), pages 28-41.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.