Bank interest margins in OECD countries
AbstractThis paper extends the literature on bank interest margins by providing empirical evidence using panel data covering the banking sector of fourteen OECD countries. Each country's banking sector is treated as a single representative firm viewed as a national risk-averse dealer setting loan and deposit rates to balance the random arrivals of loan requests and deposit supplies. We find that national industry margins are influenced by market power, operational cost, risk aversion, interest rate volatility, credit risk, volume of loans, implicit interest payments and quality of management.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal The North American Journal of Economics and Finance.
Volume (Year): 19 (2008)
Issue (Month): 3 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/620163
Bank Interest margin;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ho, Thomas S. Y. & Saunders, Anthony, 1981. "The Determinants of Bank Interest Margins: Theory and Empirical Evidence," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 16(04), pages 581-600, November.
- Brock, Philip L. & Rojas Suarez, Liliana, 2000. "Understanding the behavior of bank spreads in Latin America," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 63(1), pages 113-134, October.
- Angbazo, Lazarus, 1997. "Commercial bank net interest margins, default risk, interest-rate risk, and off-balance sheet banking," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 55-87, January.
- Saunders, Anthony & Schumacher, Liliana, 2000. "The determinants of bank interest rate margins: an international study," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(6), pages 813-832, December.
- Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Huizinga, Harry, 1998.
"Determinants of commercial bank interest margins and profitability : some international evidence,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
1900, The World Bank.
- Demirguc, Asli & Huizinga, Harry, 1999. "Determinants of Commercial Bank Interest Margins and Profitability: Some International Evidence," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 13(2), pages 379-408, May.
- Maudos, Joaquin & Fernandez de Guevara, Juan, 2004.
"Factors explaining the interest margin in the banking sectors of the European Union,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 28(9), pages 2259-2281, September.
- Maudos, Joaquin & Fernandez de Guevara, Juan, 2003. "Factors Explaining the Interest Margin in the Banking Sectors of the European Union," MPRA Paper 15252, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Zarruk, Emilio R. & Madura, Jeff, 1992. "Optimal Bank Interest Margin under Capital Regulation and Deposit Insurance," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 27(01), pages 143-149, March.
- Samantas, Ioannis, 2013. "Income-specific estimates of competition in European banking," MPRA Paper 51098, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Lin, Jyh-Horng & Hung, Wei-Ming, 2013. "A barrier option framework for bank interest margin management under anticipatory regret aversion," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 33(C), pages 794-801.
- Tsai, Jeng-Yan, 2013. "Bank interest margin management based on a path-dependent Cobb–Douglas utility framework," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 35(C), pages 751-762.
- Trinugroho, Irwan & Agusman, Agusman & Tarazi, Amine, 2014.
"Why have bank interest margins been so high in Indonesia since the 1997/1998 financial crisis?,"
Research in International Business and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 32(C), pages 139-158.
- Irwan Trinugroho & Agusman Agusman & Amine Tarazi, 2012. "Why Have Bank Interest Margins Been so High in Indonesia Since the 1997/1998 Financial Crisis?," Working Papers hal-00916531, HAL.
- Germán López-Espinosa & Antonio Moreno & Fernando Pérez de Gracia, 2011.
"Banks’ Net Interest Margin in the 2000s: A Macro-Accounting International Perspective,"
Faculty Working Papers
11/11, School of Economics and Business Administration, University of Navarra.
- López-Espinosa, Germán & Moreno, Antonio & Pérez de Gracia, Fernando, 2011. "Banks' Net Interest Margin in the 2000s: A Macro-Accounting international perspective," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(6), pages 1214-1233, October.
- Roman Horváth, 2009. "The Determinants of the Interest Rate Margins of Czech Banks," Czech Journal of Economics and Finance (Finance a uver), Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences, vol. 59(2), pages 128-136, June.
- Kadri Männasoo, 2012. "Determinants of bank interest spread in Estonia," Bank of Estonia Working Papers wp2012-1, Bank of Estonia, revised 22 Feb 2012.
- Kasman, Adnan & Tunc, Gokce & Vardar, Gulin & Okan, Berna, 2010. "Consolidation and commercial bank net interest margins: Evidence from the old and new European Union members and candidate countries," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 27(3), pages 648-655, May.
- Dan Andrews, 2010. "Real House Prices in OECD Countries: The Role of Demand Shocks and Structural and Policy Factors," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 831, OECD Publishing.
- Parmendra Sharma & Neelesh Gounder, 2011. "Determinants of bank net interest margins in a Small Island Developing Economy: Panel Evidence from Fiji," Discussion Papers in Finance finance:201112, Griffith University, Department of Accounting, Finance and Economics.
- Chang, Chuen-Ping, 2014. "A barrier option framework for rescue package designs and bank default risks," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 38(C), pages 246-257.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.