Banking Spreads In Latin America
Abstract"Intermediation spreads in Latin America are high by international standards. This paper examines the determinants of bank interest margins in that region using bank- and country-level data from 85 countries, including 14 Latin American economies. The results suggest that Latin America has higher interest rates, less efficient banks, and larger reserve requirements than other regions and that these factors have a significant impact on spreads. However, Latin American countries do not differ markedly from their peers in other aspects that are found important in determining the cost of financial intermediation, such as inflation and bank profit taxation". ("JEL" E43, E44, G21, O54) Copyright (c) 2008 Western Economic Association International.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Western Economic Association International in its journal Economic Inquiry.
Volume (Year): 47 (2009)
Issue (Month): 4 (October)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 18830 Brookhurst Street, Suite 304, Fountain Valley, CA 92708 USA
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0095-2583
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- E43 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Interest Rates: Determination, Term Structure, and Effects
- E44 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Financial Markets and the Macroeconomy
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
- O54 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economywide Country Studies - - - Latin America; Caribbean
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Demirguc, Asli & Huizinga, Harry, 1999.
"Determinants of Commercial Bank Interest Margins and Profitability: Some International Evidence,"
World Bank Economic Review,
World Bank Group, vol. 13(2), pages 379-408, May.
- Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Huizinga, Harry, 1998. "Determinants of commercial bank interest margins and profitability : some international evidence," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1900, The World Bank.
- Claessens, Stijn & Laeven, Luc, 2003.
"What drives bank competition? some international evidence,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
3113, The World Bank.
- Claessens, Stijn & Laeven, Luc, 2004. "What Drives Bank Competition? Some International Evidence," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 36(3), pages 563-83, June.
- Stijn Claessens & Luc Laeven, 2004. "What drives bank competition? Some international evidence," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, pages 563-592.
- Agnes Belaisch, 2003. "Do Brazilian Banks Compete?," IMF Working Papers 03/113, International Monetary Fund.
- Brock, Philip L. & Rojas Suarez, Liliana, 2000. "Understanding the behavior of bank spreads in Latin America," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 63(1), pages 113-134, October.
- R. Gaston Gelos & Shang-Jin Wei, 2005.
"Transparency and International Portfolio Holdings,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 60(6), pages 2987-3020, December.
- Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Laeven, Luc & Levine, Ross, 2004.
"Regulations, Market Structure, Institutions, and the Cost of Financial Intermediation,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 36(3), pages 593-622, June.
- Asli Demirgüç-Kunt & Luc Laeven & Ross Levine, 2004. "Regulations, market structure, institutions, and the cost of financial intermediation," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, pages 593-626.
- Asli Demirguc-Kunt & Luc Laeven & Ross Levine, 2003. "Regulations, Market Structure, Institutions, and the Cost of Financial Intermediation," NBER Working Papers 9890, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Francois Boutin-Dufresne & Santiago PeÃ±a & Oral Williams & Tomasz A. Zawisza, 2013. "Benchmarking Banking Sector Efficiency Across Regional Blocks in Sub-Saharan Africa: What Room for Policy?," IMF Working Papers 13/51, International Monetary Fund.
- Maudos, Joaquin & Solisa, Liliana, 2009.
"The determinants of net interest income in the Mexican banking system: an integrated model,"
15257, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 2009.
- Maudos, Joaquín & Solís, Liliana, 2009. "The determinants of net interest income in the Mexican banking system: An integrated model," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(10), pages 1920-1931, October.
- Joaquín Maudos Villarroya & Liliana Solís, 2009. "The determinants of net interest income in the Mexican banking system: an integrated model," Working Papers. Serie EC 2009-05, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Gabriel Martinez, 2010. "Cost of Borrowing, Institutional Quality, and Capital Openness," Working Papers 1001, Ave Maria University, Department of Economics.
- International Monetary Fund, 2012. "Credit Growth and the Effectiveness of Reserve Requirements and Other Macroprudential Instruments in Latin America," IMF Working Papers 12/142, International Monetary Fund.
- Anoop Singh & Martin D. Cerisola, 2006. "Sustaining Latin America's Resurgence: Some Historical Perspectives," IMF Working Papers 06/252, International Monetary Fund.
- Khemraj, Tarron, 2010. "The simple analytics of oligopoly banking in developing economies," MPRA Paper 22266, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Pierre-Richard Agénor & Peter J. Montiel, 2006.
"Credit Market Imperfections and the Monetary Transmission Mechanism Part I: Fixed Exchange Rates,"
The School of Economics Discussion Paper Series
0628, Economics, The University of Manchester.
- Pierre-Richard Agénor & Peter J. Montiel, 2006. "Credit Market Imperfections and the Monetary Transmission Mechanism Part I: Fixed Exchange Rates," Centre for Growth and Business Cycle Research Discussion Paper Series 76, Economics, The Univeristy of Manchester.
- Laura Valderrama & Wendell A. Samuel, 2006. "The Monetary Policy Regime and Banking Spreads in Barbados," IMF Working Papers 06/211, International Monetary Fund.
- Jose M. Berrospide & Amiyatosh Purnanandam & Uday Rajan, 2008. "Corporate hedging, investment and value," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2008-16, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Bank for International Settlements, 2012. "Operationalising the selection and application of macroprudential instruments," CGFS Papers, Bank for International Settlements, number 48.
- Nelson Souza-Sobrinho, 2010. "Macroeconomics of bank interest spreads: evidence from Brazil," Annals of Finance, Springer, vol. 6(1), pages 1-32, January.
- Fatih Macit, 2012. "Bank Specific and Macroeconomic Determinants of Profitability: Evidence From Participation Banks in Turkey," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 32(1), pages 586-595.
- International Monetary Fund, 2010. "Post-Crisis Bank Behavior: Lessons from Mercosur," IMF Working Papers 10/1, International Monetary Fund.
- Guilherme Jonas Costa da Silva & José Luís Oreiro & Luiz Fernando de Paula & Rogério Sobreira, 2007. "Macroeconomic Determinants Of Banking Spread In Brazil: An Empirical Evaluation," Anais do XXXV Encontro Nacional de Economia [Proceedings of the 35th Brazilian Economics Meeting] 098, ANPEC - Associação Nacional dos Centros de Pósgraduação em Economia [Brazilian Association of Graduate Programs in Economics].
- Guilherme Jonas Costa da Silva & José Luís Oreiro & Luiz Fernando de Paula, 2007. "Macroeconomic Determinants of Bank Spread in Brazil: An Empirical Evaluation," Working Papers 0066, Universidade Federal do Paraná, Department of Economics.
- Glocker, Ch. & Towbin P., 2012.
"The Macroeconomic Effects of Reserve Requirements,"
374, Banque de France.
- Valentina Flamini & Liliana Schumacher & Calvin A. McDonald, 2009. "The Determinants of Commercial Bank Profitability in Sub-Saharan Africa," IMF Working Papers 09/15, International Monetary Fund.
- Calixte Ahokpossi, 2013. "Determinants of Bank Interest Margins in Sub-Saharan Africa," IMF Working Papers 13/34, International Monetary Fund.
- Parmendra Sharma & Neelesh Gounder, 2011. "Determinants of bank net interest margins in a Small Island Developing Economy: Panel Evidence from Fiji," Discussion Papers in Finance finance:201112, Griffith University, Department of Accounting, Finance and Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.