Bank Efficiency, Ownership and Market Structure,Why are Interest Spreads so High in Uganda?
AbstractUsing a unique bank-level dataset on the Ugandan banking system over the period 1999 to 2005, we explore the factors behind consistently high interest rate spreads and margins. While foreign banks charge lower interest rate spreads, we do not find a robust and economically significant relationship between privatization, foreign bank entry, market structure and banking efficiency. Similarly, macroeconomic variables can explain little of the over-time variation in bank spreads. Bank-level characteristics, on the other hand, such as bank size, operating costs, and composition of loan portfolio, explain a large proportion of cross-bank, cross-time variation in spreads and margins. However, time-invariant bank-level fixed effects explain the largest part of bank-variation in spreads and margins. Further, we find tentative evidence that banks targeting the low-end of the market incur higher costs and therefore higher margins.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Oxford, Department of Economics in its series Economics Series Working Papers with number 277.
Date of creation: 01 Sep 2006
Date of revision:
Foreign Bank Entry; Financial Sector Reform; Bank Efficiency; Financial Intermediation; Uganda;
Other versions of this item:
- Beck, T.H.L. & Hesse, H., 2006. "Bank efficiency, ownership and market structure: Why are interest spreads so high in Uganda?," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-3508408, Tilburg University.
- Beck, Thorsten & Hesse, Heiko, 2006. "Bank efficiency, ownership, and market structure : why are interest spreads so high in Uganda ?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4027, The World Bank.
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
- G30 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - General
- O16 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Financial Markets; Saving and Capital Investment; Corporate Finance and Governance
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2006-09-23 (All new papers)
- NEP-BAN-2006-09-23 (Banking)
- NEP-COM-2006-09-23 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-EFF-2006-09-23 (Efficiency & Productivity)
- NEP-FMK-2006-09-23 (Financial Markets)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Martinez Peria, Maria Soledad & Mody, Ashoka, 2004.
"How foreign participation and market concentration impact bank spreads : evidence from Latin America,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
3210, The World Bank.
- Maria Soledad Martinez Peria & Ashoka Mody, 2004. "How foreign participation and market concentration impact bank spreads: evidence from Latin America," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, pages 511-542.
- Martinez Peria, Maria Soledad & Mody, Ashoka, 2004. "How Foreign Participation and Market Concentration Impact Bank Spreads: Evidence from Latin America," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 36(3), pages 511-37, June.
- Bernanke, Ben & Gertler, Mark, 1989. "Agency Costs, Net Worth, and Business Fluctuations," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 79(1), pages 14-31, March.
- Saunders, Anthony & Schumacher, Liliana, 2000. "The determinants of bank interest rate margins: an international study," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(6), pages 813-832, December.
- Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Laeven, Luc & Levine, Ross, 2004.
"Regulations, Market Structure, Institutions, and the Cost of Financial Intermediation,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 36(3), pages 593-622, June.
- Asli Demirgüç-Kunt & Luc Laeven & Ross Levine, 2004. "Regulations, market structure, institutions, and the cost of financial intermediation," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, pages 593-626.
- Asli Demirguc-Kunt & Luc Laeven & Ross Levine, 2003. "Regulations, Market Structure, Institutions, and the Cost of Financial Intermediation," NBER Working Papers 9890, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Barajas, Adolfo & Steiner, Roberto & Salazar, Natalia, 2000. "The impact of liberalization and foreign investment in Colombia's financial sector," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 63(1), pages 157-196, October.
- Demirguc, Asli & Huizinga, Harry, 1999.
"Determinants of Commercial Bank Interest Margins and Profitability: Some International Evidence,"
World Bank Economic Review,
World Bank Group, vol. 13(2), pages 379-408, May.
- Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Huizinga, Harry, 1998. "Determinants of commercial bank interest margins and profitability : some international evidence," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1900, The World Bank.
- Claessens, Stijn & Laeven, Luc, 2003.
"What drives bank competition? some international evidence,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
3113, The World Bank.
- Stijn Claessens & Luc Laeven, 2004. "What drives bank competition? Some international evidence," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, pages 563-592.
- Claessens, Stijn & Laeven, Luc, 2004. "What Drives Bank Competition? Some International Evidence," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 36(3), pages 563-83, June.
- Laeven, Luc & Majnoni, Giovanni, 2005.
"Does judicial efficiency lower the cost of credit?,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 29(7), pages 1791-1812, July.
- Laeven, Luc & Majnoni, Giovanni, 2003. "Does judicial efficiency lower the cost of credit:," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3159, The World Bank.
- Govori, Fadil, 2013. "The performance of commercial banks and the determinants of profitability: Evidence from Kosovo," MPRA Paper 46824, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Hesse, Heiko, 2007. "Financial intermediation in the pre-consolidated banking sector in Nigeria," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4267, The World Bank.
- Dilli Raj Khanal, 2007. "Services Trade in Developing Asia:A Case Study of the Banking and Insurance Sector in Nepal," Working Papers 3907, Asia-Pacific Research and Training Network on Trade (ARTNeT), an initiative of UNESCAP and IDRC, Canada..
- Chuling Chen, 2009. "Bank Efficiency in Sub-Saharan African Middle Income Countries," IMF Working Papers 09/14, International Monetary Fund.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Caroline Wise).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.