Bubbles or convenience yields? A theoretical explanation with evidence from technology company equity carve-outs
AbstractThis paper offers an alternative explanation for what is typically referred to as an asset pricing bubble. We develop a model that formalizes the Cochrane (2002) convenience yield theory of technology company stocks to explain why a rational agent would buy an "overpriced" security. Agents have a desire to trade but short-sale restrictions and other frictions limit their trading strategies and enable prices of two similar securities to be different. Thus, divergent prices for similar securities can be sustained in a rational expectations equilibrium. The paper also provides empirical support for the model using a sample of 1996-2000 equity carve-outs.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal International Review of Economics & Finance.
Volume (Year): 18 (2009)
Issue (Month): 2 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/620165
Asset pricing Rational bubbles;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Eli Ofek & Matthew Richardson, 2003. "DotCom Mania: The Rise and Fall of Internet Stock Prices," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 58(3), pages 1113-1138, 06.
- Jay R. Ritter & Ivo Welch, 2002.
"A Review of IPO Activity, Pricing, and Allocations,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 57(4), pages 1795-1828, 08.
- Jay Ritter & Ivo Welch, 2002. "A Review of IPO Activity, Pricing, and Allocations," NBER Working Papers 8805, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jay Ritter & Ivo Welch, 2002. "A Review of IPO Activity, Pricing and Allocations," Yale School of Management Working Papers ysm258, Yale School of Management, revised 01 Apr 2002.
- Rock, Kevin, 1986. "Why new issues are underpriced," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(1-2), pages 187-212.
- Owen A. Lamont & Richard H. Thaler, .
"Can the Market Add and Subtract? Mispricing in Tech Stock Carve-outs,"
CRSP working papers
528, Center for Research in Security Prices, Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago.
- Owen A. Lamont & Richard H. Thaler, 2003. "Can the Market Add and Subtract? Mispricing in Tech Stock Carve-outs," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 111(2), pages 227-268, April.
- Owen A. Lamont & Richard H. Thaler, 2001. "Can the Market Add and Subtract? Mispricing in Tech Stock Carve-Outs," NBER Working Papers 8302, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- John H. Cochrane, 2002. "Stocks as Money: Convenience Yield and the Tech-Stock Bubble," NBER Working Papers 8987, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lawrence R. Glosten & Paul R. Milgrom, 1983.
"Bid, Ask and Transaction Prices in a Specialist Market with Heterogeneously Informed Traders,"
570, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Glosten, Lawrence R. & Milgrom, Paul R., 1985. "Bid, ask and transaction prices in a specialist market with heterogeneously informed traders," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 71-100, March.
- Allen F. & Morris S. & Postlewaite A., 1993. "Finite Bubbles with Short Sale Constraints and Asymmetric Information," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 61(2), pages 206-229, December.
- Jose A. Scheinkman & Wei Xiong, 2003. "Overconfidence and Speculative Bubbles," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 111(6), pages 1183-1219, December.
- Robert S. Pindyck, 1993.
"The Present Value Model of Rational Commodity Pricing,"
NBER Working Papers
4083, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Pindyck, Robert S, 1993. "The Present Value Model of Rational Commodity Pricing," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 103(418), pages 511-30, May.
- Pindyck, Robert S., 1991. "The present value model of rational commodity pricing," Working papers 3354-91., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Dilip Abreu & Markus K. Brunnermeier, 2003.
"Bubbles and Crashes,"
Econometric Society, vol. 71(1), pages 173-204, January.
- Malcolm Baker & Jeremy C. Stein, 2002.
"Market Liquidity as a Sentiment Indicator,"
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
1977, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Timothy J. Considine, 1992. "A Short-Run Model of Petroleum Product Supply," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 2), pages 61-92.
- Frank Fehle, 2004. "Bid-Ask Spreads and Institutional Ownership," Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, Springer, vol. 22(4), pages 275-292, 06.
- Eli Ofek & Matthew Richardson, 2002. "The Valuation and Market Rationality of Internet Stock Prices," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 18(3), pages 265-287.
- Boudoukh, Jacob & Whitelaw, Robert F, 1993. "Liquidity as a Choice Variable: A Lesson from the Japanese Government Bond Market," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 6(2), pages 265-92.
- Duffie, Darrell & Garleanu, Nicolae & Pedersen, Lasse Heje, 2002. "Securities lending, shorting, and pricing," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 66(2-3), pages 307-339.
- Michaely, Roni & Shaw, Wayne H, 1994. "The Pricing of Initial Public Offerings: Tests of Adverse-Selection and Signaling Theories," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 7(2), pages 279-319.
- Markus K. Brunnermeier & Stefan Nagel, 2004. "Hedge Funds and the Technology Bubble," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 59(5), pages 2013-2040, October.
- Park, Sangkyun, 2006. "Effects of stock mispricing and regulatory capital constraints on bank lending," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 58(2), pages 137-152.
- Ghosh, Chinmoy & Nag, Raja & Sirmans, C F, 2000. "A Test of the Signaling Value of IPO Underpricing with REIT IPO-SEO Pairs," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 20(2), pages 137-54, March.
- Charles M. Jones & Owen A. Lamont, 2001.
"Short Sale Constraints and Stock Returns,"
NBER Working Papers
8494, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mark Mitchell & Todd Pulvino & Erik Stafford, 2002. "Limited Arbitrage in Equity Markets," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 57(2), pages 551-584, 04.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.