Can partial fiscal coordination be welfare worsening?: A model of tax competition
AbstractMost work on tax competition argues that mobile factors tend to be undertaxed except if there is coordination of tax policies. Full coordination is not however always feasible, and as a consequence some measures of partial coordination have been proposed such as minimal witholding taxes on interest income. We show that partial coordination can be in some instances welfare worsening and that then no coordination is to be preferred.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Urban Economics.
Volume (Year): 54 (2003)
Issue (Month): 3 (November)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/622905
Other versions of this item:
- Maurice Marchand & Pierre Pestieau & Motohiro Sato, 2002. "Can Partial Fiscal Coordination Be Welfare Worsening? A model of tax competition," CREPP Working Papers 0205, Centre de Recherche en Economie Publique et de la Population (CREPP) (Research Center on Public and Population Economics) HEC-Management School, University of Liège.
- MARCHAND, Maurice & PESTIEAU, Pierre & SATO, Motohiro, 2002. "Can partial fiscal coordination be welfare worsening ? A model of tax competition," CORE Discussion Papers 2002052, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- MARCHAND, Maurice & PESTIEAU, Pierre & SATO, Motohiro, . "Can partial fiscal coordination be welfare worsening? A model of tax competition," CORE Discussion Papers RP -1648, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- H2 - Public Economics - - Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue
- H87 - Public Economics - - Miscellaneous Issues - - - International Fiscal Issues; International Public Goods
- H7 - Public Economics - - State and Local Government; Intergovernmental Relations
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Sven Wehke, 2007.
"Fighting Tax Competition in the Presence of Unemployment: Complete versus Partial Tax Coordination,"
FEMM Working Papers
07010, Otto-von-Guericke University Magdeburg, Faculty of Economics and Management.
- Sven Wehke, 2008. "Fighting Tax Competition in the Presence of Unemployment: Complete versus Partial Tax Coordination," FinanzArchiv: Public Finance Analysis, Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, vol. 64(1), pages 33-62, March.
- Jun-ichi Itaya & Makoto Okamuraz & Chikara Yamaguchix, 2009. "Partial tax coordination in a repeated game setting," Working Papers 2009/15, Institut d'Economia de Barcelona (IEB).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.