Purchase deadline as a moderator of the effects of price uncertainty on search duration
AbstractA longstanding theoretical tenet in the economic psychology literature is that consumers respond to greater price uncertainty by increasing search. The generality of this tenet was investigated in the context of a moderating variable, purchase deadline. It was hypothesized that the effect of increased price uncertainty, as reflected by both cross-sectional price variability and longitudinal price variability, was moderated by temporal proximity to a purchase deadline. The hypothesis was tested by analyzing purchase data from a sample of consumers with known purchase deadlines searching for rental trucks. The results indicated that search increased in response to greater price uncertainty for distant deadlines but decreased in response to greater price uncertainty for proximal deadlines.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Economic Psychology.
Volume (Year): 32 (2011)
Issue (Month): 1 (February)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/joep
Inter-temporal consumer choice Search Duration analysis;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kujala, Jouni T. & Johnson, Michael D., 1993. "Price knowledge and search behavior for habitual, low involvement food purchases," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 249-265, June.
- Loibl, Cäzilia & Hira, Tahira K., 2009. "Investor information search," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 24-41, February.
- Newman, Joseph W & Lockeman, Bradley D, 1975. " Measuring Prepurchase Information Seeking," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 2(3), pages 216-22, December.
- Bucklin, Louis P, 1969. "Consumer Search, Role Enactment, and Market Efficiency," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 42(4), pages 416-38, October.
- Smith, Gerald E. & Venkatraman, Meera P. & Dholakia, Ruby Roy, 1999. "Diagnosing the search cost effect: Waiting time and the moderating impact of prior category knowledge," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 285-314, June.
- Rothschild, Michael, 1974. "Searching for the Lowest Price When the Distribution of Prices Is Unknown," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(4), pages 689-711, July/Aug..
- Van den Berg, Gerard J., 2000.
"Duration Models: Specification, Identification, and Multiple Durations,"
9446, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Van den Berg, Gerard J., 2001. "Duration models: specification, identification and multiple durations," Handbook of Econometrics, in: J.J. Heckman & E.E. Leamer (ed.), Handbook of Econometrics, edition 1, volume 5, chapter 55, pages 3381-3460 Elsevier.
- Simonson, Itamar, 1992. " The Influence of Anticipating Regret and Responsibility on Purchase Decisions," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 19(1), pages 105-18, June.
- Michael Rothschild, 1974. "Searching for the Lowest Price When the Distribution of Prices Is Unknown: A Summary," NBER Chapters, in: Annals of Economic and Social Measurement, Volume 3, number 1, pages 293-294 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Brian T. Ratchford, 1982. "Cost-Benefit Models for Explaining Consumer Choice and Information Seeking Behavior," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 28(2), pages 197-212, February.
- Cassie Mogilner & Jennifer L. Aaker & Ginger L. Pennington, 2008. "Time Will Tell: The Distant Appeal of Promotion and Imminent Appeal of Prevention," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 34(5), pages 670-681, 08.
- Moorthy, Sridhar & Ratchford, Brian T & Talukdar, Debabrata, 1997. " Consumer Information Search Revisited: Theory and Empirical Analysis," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 23(4), pages 263-77, March.
- Shani, Yaniv & Tykocinski, Orit E. & Zeelenberg, Marcel, 2008. "When ignorance is not bliss: How feelings of discomfort promote the search for negative information," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 29(5), pages 643-653, November.
- Jacobson, Robert & Obermiller, Carl, 1990. " The Formation of Expected Future Price: A Reference Price for Forward-Looking Consumers," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 16(4), pages 420-32, March.
- Nitin Mehta & Surendra Rajiv & Kannan Srinivasan, 2003. "Price Uncertainty and Consumer Search: A Structural Model of Consideration Set Formation," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 22(1), pages 58-84, June.
- George J. Stigler, 1961. "The Economics of Information," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 69, pages 213.
- Tülin Erdem & Michael P. Keane, 1996. "Decision-Making Under Uncertainty: Capturing Dynamic Brand Choice Processes in Turbulent Consumer Goods Markets," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 15(1), pages 1-20.
- Urbany, Joel E, 1986. " An Experimental Examination of the Economics of Information," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 13(2), pages 257-71, September.
- Ratchford, Brian T, 2001. " The Economics of Consumer Knowledge," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 27(4), pages 397-411, March.
- Wolpin, Kenneth I, 1987. "Estimating a Structural Search Model: The Transition from School to Work," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(4), pages 801-17, July.
- Füsun F. Gönül & Frenkel Ter Hofstede, 2006. "How to Compute Optimal Catalog Mailing Decisions," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 25(1), pages 65-74, 01-02.
- Dzielinski, Michal, 2012. "Measuring economic uncertainty and its impact on the stock market," Finance Research Letters, Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 167-175.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.