Population growth in a model of economic growth with human capital accumulation and horizontal R&D
AbstractThis paper reconsiders the effects of population growth on per-capita income growth within a Romerian (1990)-type endogenous growth model with human capital accumulation. One important novelty of our contribution is that in the human capital supply equation we explicitly consider the possibility that agents' investment in skill acquisition might be positively, negatively or not influenced at all by technological progress. We find that both the growth rate and the level of real per-capita income are independent of population size. Moreover, the population growth may affect or not real per-capita income growth depending on the size of the degree of altruism of agents towards future generations and on the nature of technical progress, for given agents' degree of altruism.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Macroeconomics.
Volume (Year): 30 (2008)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/622617
Other versions of this item:
- Alberto Bucci, 2007. "Population Growth in a Model of Economic Growth with Human Capital Accumulation and Horizontal R&D," UNIMI - Research Papers in Economics, Business, and Statistics unimi-1049, Universitá degli Studi di Milano.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Thomas Renstrom & Luca Spataro, 2014. "Population growth and human capital: a welfarist approach," Public Finance Research Papers 3, Istituto di Economia e Finanza, DIGEF, Sapienza University of Rome.
- Spyridon Boikos & Alberto Bucci & Thanasis Stengos, 2012.
"Non-Monotonicity of Fertility in Human Capital Accumulation and Economic Growth,"
1213, University of Guelph, Department of Economics and Finance.
- Boikos, Spyridon & Bucci, Alberto & Stengos, Thanasis, 2013. "Non-monotonicity of fertility in human capital accumulation and economic growth," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 38(PA), pages 44-59.
- Daria Onori, 2011.
"Welfare, Competition, Specialization and Growth,"
- Daria ONORI, 2011. "Welfare, Competition, Specialization and Growth," Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales) 2011011, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Bucci, Alberto, 2013. "Returns to specialization, competition, population, and growth," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 37(10), pages 2023-2040.
- Raouf BOUCEKKINE & B. MARTINEZ & J. R. RUIZ-TAMARIT, 2011.
"Growth vs. level effect of population change on economic development: An inspection into human-capital-related mechanisms,"
Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales)
2011039, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Boucekkine, R. & Martínez, B. & Ruiz-Tamarit, J.R., 2013. "Growth vs. level effect of population change on economic development: An inspection into human-capital-related mechanisms," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(4), pages 312-334.
- Raouf Boucekkine & Blanca Martínez & Ramon Ruiz-Tamarit, 2011. "Growth vs level effect of population change on economic development: An inspection into human-capital-related mechanisms," Working Papers halshs-00632888, HAL.
- Barnett, William & Ghosh, Taniya, 2013.
"Bifurcation Analysis of an Endogenous Growth Model,"
50131, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- William Barnett & Taniya Ghosh, 2013. "Bifurcation Analysis of an Endogenous Growth Model," WORKING PAPERS SERIES IN THEORETICAL AND APPLIED ECONOMICS 201306, University of Kansas, Department of Economics, revised Oct 2013.
- Raouf Boucekkine & Giorgio Fabbri & Fausto Gozzi, 2010.
"Life span and the problem of optimal population size,"
- Raouf BOUCEKKINE & Giorgio FABBRI & Fausto GOZZI, 2011. "Life span and the problem of optimal population size," Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales) 2011018, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Alberto Bucci, 2014. "Population, competition, innovation, and economic growth with and without human capital investment," International Review of Economics, Springer, vol. 61(1), pages 61-84, April.
- Raouf Boucekkine & Giorgio Fabbri, 2013. "Assessing Parfit’s Repugnant Conclusion within a canonical endogenous growth set-up," Journal of Population Economics, Springer, vol. 26(2), pages 751-767, April.
- Alberto Bucci, 2011. "Product-Variety, Population, Competition, and Growth," DEGIT Conference Papers c016_006, DEGIT, Dynamics, Economic Growth, and International Trade.
- Mario Coccia, 2013. "Population and technological innovation: the optimal interaction across modern countries," CERIS Working Paper 201307, Institute for Economic Research on Firms and Growth - Moncalieri (TO).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.