Intrapreneurship or entrepreneurship?
AbstractI explore the factors that determine whether new business opportunities are exploited by starting a new venture for an employer ('nascent intrapreneurship') or independently ('nascent entrepreneurship'). Analysis of a nationally representative sample of American adults gathered in 2005-06 uncovers systematic differences between the drivers of nascent entrepreneurship and nascent intrapreneurship. Nascent entrepreneurs tend to leverage their general human capital and social ties to organize ventures which sell directly to customers, whereas intrapreneurs disproportionately commercialize unique new opportunities which sell to other businesses. Implications of the findings are discussed.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Business Venturing.
Volume (Year): 26 (2011)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jbusvent
Intrapreneurship Corporate venturing Nascent entrepreneurship PSED;
Other versions of this item:
- L26 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Entrepreneurship
- M13 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Business Administration - - - New Firms; Startups
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Parker, Simon C. & van Praag, C. Mirjam, 2006. "Schooling, Capital Constraints, and Entrepreneurial Performance: The Endogenous Triangle," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 24, pages 416-431, October.
- Steven Klepper & Sally Sleeper, 2005.
"Entry by Spinoffs,"
INFORMS, vol. 51(8), pages 1291-1306, August.
- Paul Gompers & Josh Lerner & David Scharfstein, 2005. "Entrepreneurial Spawning: Public Corporations and the Genesis of New Ventures, 1986 to 1999," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 60(2), pages 577-614, 04.
- Levesque, Moren & Minniti, Maria, 2006. "The effect of aging on entrepreneurial behavior," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 177-194, March.
- David B. Audretsch & Roy Thurik, 2001. "Linking Entrepreneurship to Growth," OECD Science, Technology and Industry Working Papers 2001/2, OECD Publishing.
- Hornsby, Jeffrey S. & Kuratko, Donald F. & Zahra, Shaker A., 2002. "Middle managers' perception of the internal environment for corporate entrepreneurship: assessing a measurement scale," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 253-273, May.
- Hvide, Hans K. & Kristiansen, Eirik Gaard, 2012.
"Management of Knowledge Workers,"
IZA Discussion Papers
6609, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Hvide, Hans K. & Kristiansen, Eirik G., 2006. "Management of Knowledge Workers," Discussion Papers 2006/7, Department of Business and Management Science, Norwegian School of Economics.
- Hvide, Hans K & Kristiansen, Eirik Gaard, 2007. "Management of Knowledge Workers," CEPR Discussion Papers 6039, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Van Praag, C Mirjam & Van Ophem, Hans, 1995. "Determinants of Willingness and Opportunity to Start as an Entrepreneur," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 48(4), pages 513-40.
- Hellmann, Thomas F., 2002.
"When Do Employees Become Entrepreneurs?,"
1770, Stanford University, Graduate School of Business.
- Davidsson, Per, 2006. "Nascent Entrepreneurship: Empirical Studies and Developments," Foundations and Trends(R) in Entrepreneurship, now publishers, vol. 2(1), pages 1-76, June.
- Robert W. Fairlie, 2006. "The Personal Computer and Entrepreneurship," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 52(2), pages 187-203, February.
- Anton, James J & Yao, Dennis A, 1994. "Expropriation and Inventions: Appropriable Rents in the Absence of Property Rights," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 84(1), pages 190-209, March.
- Lichtenstein, Benyamin B. & Carter, Nancy M. & Dooley, Kevin J. & Gartner, William B., 2007. "Complexity dynamics of nascent entrepreneurship," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 236-261, March.
- Pakes, Ariel & Nitzan, Shmuel, 1983.
"Optimum Contracts for Research Personnel, Research Employment, and the Establishment of "Rival" Enterprises,"
Journal of Labor Economics,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 1(4), pages 345-65, October.
- Pakes, Ariel & Nitzan, Shmuel, 1983. "Optimum Contracts for Research Personnel, Research Employment, and the Establishment of "Rival" Enterprises," Scholarly Articles 3428538, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Ariel Pakes & Shmuel Nitzan, 1982. "Optimum Contracts for Research Personnel, Research Employment, and the Establishment of "Rival" Enterprises," NBER Working Papers 0871, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hvide, Hans K, 2005.
"The Quality of Entrepreneurs,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4979, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Cooper, Arnold C. & Woo, Carolyn Y. & Dunkelberg, William C., 1988. "Entrepreneurs' perceived chances for success," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 3(2), pages 97-108.
- Thomas Dunn & Douglas Holtz-Eakin, 2000. "Financial Capital, Human Capital, and the Transition to Self-Employment:Evidence from Intergenerational Links," NBER Working Papers 5622, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Monica Diochon & Teresa V. Menzies & Yvon Gasse, 2008. "Exploring The Nature And Impact Of Gestation-Specific Human Capital Among Nascent Entrepreneurs," Journal of Developmental Entrepreneurship (JDE), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 13(02), pages 151-165.
- Gilbert, Richard J & Newbery, David M G, 1982. "Preemptive Patenting and the Persistence of Monopoly," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 72(3), pages 514-26, June.
- Teece, David J., 1993.
"Profiting from technological innovation: Implications for integration, collaboration, licensing and public policy,"
Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 112-113, April.
- Teece, David J., 1986. "Profiting from technological innovation: Implications for integration, collaboration, licensing and public policy," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 15(6), pages 285-305, December.
- Macmillan, Ian C. & Block, Zenas & Narasimha, P. N. Subba, 1986. "Corporate venturing: alternatives, obstacles encountered, and experience effects," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 1(2), pages 177-191.
- Subramanian, Narayanan, 2005. "The economics of intrapreneurial innovation," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 58(4), pages 487-510, December.
- Delmar, Frederic & Shane, Scott, 2004. "Legitimating first: organizing activities and the survival of new ventures," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 385-410, May.
- Phillip Kim & Howard Aldrich & Lisa Keister, 2006. "Access (Not) Denied: The Impact of Financial, Human, and Cultural Capital on Entrepreneurial Entryin the United States," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 27(1), pages 5-22, August.
- Bruderl, Josef & Preisendorfer, Peter, 1998. " Network Support and the Success of Newly Founded Businesses," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 10(3), pages 213-25, May.
- Simon C. Parker & Yacine Belghitar, 2006. "What Happens to Nascent Entrepreneurs? An Econometric Analysis of the PSED," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 27(1), pages 81-101, August.
- Davidsson, Per & Honig, Benson, 2003. "The role of social and human capital among nascent entrepreneurs," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 301-331, May.
- Robert A. Burgelman, 1983. "Corporate Entrepreneurship and Strategic Management: Insights from a Process Study," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 29(12), pages 1349-1364, December.
- Antoncic, Bostjan & Hisrich, Robert D., 2001. "Intrapreneurship: Construct refinement and cross-cultural validation," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 16(5), pages 495-527, September.
- Peter Johnson & Simon Parker & Frits Wijbenga, 2006. "Nascent Entrepreneurship Research: Achievements and Opportunities," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 27(1), pages 1-4, August.
- Zahra, Shaker A. & Garvis, Dennis M., 2000. "International corporate entrepreneurship and firm performance: The moderating effect of international environmental hostility," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 15(5-6), pages 469-492.
- Zucker, Lynne G & Darby, Michael R & Brewer, Marilynn B, 1998. "Intellectual Human Capital and the Birth of U.S. Biotechnology Enterprises," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 88(1), pages 290-306, March.
- Dunn, Thomas & Holtz-Eakin, Douglas, 2000. "Financial Capital, Human Capital, and the Transition to Self-Employment: Evidence from Intergenerational Links," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 18(2), pages 282-305, April.
- Paul Reynolds, 2009. "Screening item effects in estimating the prevalence of nascent entrepreneurs," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 33(2), pages 151-163, August.
- Anton, James J & Yao, Dennis A, 1995. "Start-ups, Spin-offs, and Internal Projects," Journal of Law, Economics and Organization, Oxford University Press, vol. 11(2), pages 362-78, October.
- Nyström, Kristina, 2012.
"Entrepreneurial Employees: Are they different from independent entrepreneurs?,"
2012:10, Swedish Entrepreneurship Forum.
- Nyström, Kristina, 2012. "Entrepreneurial employees: Are they different from independent entrepreneurs?," Working Paper Series in Economics and Institutions of Innovation 281, Royal Institute of Technology, CESIS - Centre of Excellence for Science and Innovation Studies.
- Vera Rocha & Anabela Carneiro & Celeste Amorim Varum, 2013. "Entrepreneurship Dynamics: Entry Routes, Business-Owner's Persistence and Exit Modes," CEF.UP Working Papers 1310, Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto.
- B. Deschamps & S. Geindre, 2011. "Les Risques Du Processus Repreneurial En Pme," Post-Print halshs-00661565, HAL.
- Pinto, Hugo & Cruz, Ana & Gonçalves, Ana, 2011. "Hard Working Ant: An Eco-Tourism Spin-Off Creation Tale," Spatial and Organizational Dynamics Discussion Papers 2011-11, CIEO-Research Centre for Spatial and Organizational Dynamics, University of Algarve.
- Jože Kocjancic & Štefan Bojnec, 2013. "Intrapreneurship, Competition and Company Efficiency," Managing Global Transitions, University of Primorska, Faculty of Management Koper, vol. 11(2 (Summer), pages 161-179.
- Niels Bosma & Erik Stam & Sander Wennekers, 2012. "Entrepreneurial Employee Activity: A Large Scale International Study," Working Papers 12-12, Utrecht School of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.