Nascent Entrepreneurship: Empirical Studies and Developments
AbstractThe key ideas behind the empirical study of 'nascent entrepreneurship' are that the research aims to identify a statistically representative sample of on-going venture start-up efforts and that these start-up efforts are subsequently followed over time so that insights can be gained also into process issues and determinants of outcomes. The purpose of this paper is to take stock of the developments of 'nascent entrepreneur' – or 'firm gestation' – research so far, and to suggest directions for future research efforts along those lines. For this purpose a review has been made of some 75 journal articles, various book chapters, conference papers and research reports.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by now publishers in its journal Foundations and Trends(R) in Entrepreneurship.
Volume (Year): 2 (2006)
Issue (Month): 1 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.nowpublishers.com/
Small firm growth; Organizational life-cycle; Growth strategies;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L26 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Entrepreneurship
- M13 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Business Administration - - - New Firms; Startups
- L1 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Audretsch, David B. & Bönte, Werner & Mahagaonkar, Prashanth, 2012. "Financial signaling by innovative nascent ventures: The relevance of patents and prototypes," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 41(8), pages 1407-1421.
- Erik Stam & David Audretsch & Joris Meijaard, 2006. "Renascent Entrepreneurship - Entrepreneurial Preferences Subsequent to Firm Exit," Papers on Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy 2006-06, Max Planck Institute of Economics, Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy Group.
- P. Mueller, 2006. "Entrepreneurship in the Region: Breeding Ground for Nascent Entrepreneurs?," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 27(1), pages 41-58, August.
- Brixy, Udo & Sternberg, Rolf & Stüber, Heiko, 2008. "From potential to real entrepreneurship," IAB Discussion Paper 200832, Institut für Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung (IAB), Nürnberg [Institute for Employment Research, Nuremberg, Germany].
- Stuetzer, Michael & Obschonka, Martin & Brixy, Udo & Sternberg, Rolf & Cantner, Uwe, 2013.
"Regional characteristics, opportunity perception and entrepreneurial activities,"
48277, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Michael Stuetzer & Martin Obschonka & Udo Brixy & Rolf Sternberg & Uwe Cantner, 2014. "Regional characteristics, opportunity perception and entrepreneurial activities," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 42(2), pages 221-244, February.
- Parker, Simon C., 2011.
"Intrapreneurship or entrepreneurship?,"
Journal of Business Venturing,
Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 19-34, January.
- Mikael Samuelsson & Per Davidsson, 2009. "Does venture opportunity variation matter? Investigating systematic process differences between innovative and imitative new ventures," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 33(2), pages 229-255, August.
- Erik Stam & David Audretsch & Joris Meijaard, 2008.
Journal of Evolutionary Economics,
Springer, vol. 18(3), pages 493-507, August.
- Stam, F.C. & Audretsch, D.B. & Meijaard, J., 2006. "Renascent Entrepreneurship," ERIM Report Series Research in Management ERS-2006-017-ORG, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus University Rotterdam.
- Lichtenstein, Benyamin B. & Carter, Nancy M. & Dooley, Kevin J. & Gartner, William B., 2007. "Complexity dynamics of nascent entrepreneurship," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 236-261, March.
- Andre van Stel & David Storey & Roy Thurik, 2006. "The effect of business regulations on nascent and actual entrepreneurship," Papers on Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy 2006-04, Max Planck Institute of Economics, Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy Group.
- David B. Audretsch & Werner Bönte & Prashanth Mahagaonkar, 2007. "Nascent Entrepreneurs, Innovation and Financing Constraints," DRUID Working Papers 07-09, DRUID, Copenhagen Business School, Department of Industrial Economics and Strategy/Aalborg University, Department of Business Studies.
- Tina Wolf, 2013. "Innovative start-up patenting: a new approach towards identification and determinants," Jena Economic Research Papers 2013-023, Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena, Max-Planck-Institute of Economics.
- Mollick, Ethan, 2014. "The dynamics of crowdfunding: An exploratory study," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 1-16.
- Roy Thurik & Isabel Grilo & Peter van der Zwan, 2006.
"The entrepreneurial ladder and its determinants,"
Scales Research Reports
H200620, EIM Business and Policy Research.
- Niels Bosma & Kashifa Suddle & Veronique Schutjens, 2008. "Whither a flat ladscape? Regional differences in Entrepreneurship in the Netherlands," Scales Research Reports H200805, EIM Business and Policy Research.
- Krabel, Stefan & Mueller, Pamela, 2009. "What drives scientists to start their own company?: An empirical investigation of Max Planck Society scientists," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(6), pages 947-956, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alet Heezemans).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.