Export performance under the microscope: A glance through Spanish lenses
AbstractThe aim of the paper is to provide a comprehensive picture of the export performance determinants of Spanish small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) by jointly studying the influence of internal (managerial and organisational) and external (environmental) antecedents as well as responding to recent calls for research in the international business literature by investigating the potential relationship existing between objective and subjective (perceptual) measures of export performance. Based on the literature review and mainly embedded in the resource-based view of the firm, the proposed conceptual model is tested within a sample of Spanish exporting firms using regression analysis and structural equation modelling. The results show that managerial foreign language skills and international business knowledge, firm's export commitment as well as the technological intensity of the industry are the most influencing antecedents of export performance. Moreover, a strong positive relationship is observed between the objective and subjective export performance measures. The authors draw several concluding remarks highlighting the contributions, implications and limitations of the study before discussing some future research directions.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal International Business Review.
Volume (Year): 20 (2011)
Issue (Month): 2 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/133/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kaynak, Erdener & Kuan, Wellington Kang-yen, 1993. "Environment, strategy, structure, and performance in the context of export activity: An empirical study of Taiwanese manufacturing firms," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 33-49, May.
- Brendan J Gray, 1997. "Profiling Managers to Improve Export Promotion Targeting," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 28(2), pages 387-420, June.
- Papadopoulos, Nicolas & Martín Martín, Oscar, 2010. "Toward a model of the relationship between internationalization and export performance," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 19(4), pages 388-406, August.
- G Tomas M Hult & David J Ketchen & David A Griffith & Brian R Chabowski & Mary K Hamman & Bernadine Johnson Dykes & Wesley A Pollitte & S Tamer Cavusgil, 2008. "An assessment of the measurement of performance in international business research," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 39(6), pages 1064-1080, September.
- Morgan, Robert E. & Katsikeas, Constantine S., 1997. "Export stimuli: Export intention compared with export activity," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 6(5), pages 477-499, October.
- Cavusgil, S. Tamer, 1984. "Differences among exporting firms based on their degree of internationalization," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 195-208, June.
- Calantone, Roger J. & Kim, Daekwan & Schmidt, Jeffrey B. & Cavusgil, S. Tamer, 2006. "The influence of internal and external firm factors on international product adaptation strategy and export performance: A three-country comparison," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 59(2), pages 176-185, February.
- Hadjikhani, Amjad, 1997. "A note on the criticisms against the internationalization process model," Working Papers 1997:2, Uppsala University, Department of Business Studies.
- Baldauf, Artur & Cravens, David W. & Wagner, Udo, 2000. "Examining determinants of export performance in small open economies," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 61-79, April.
- Andrea Bonaccorsi, 1992. "On the Relationship Between Firm Size and Export Intensity," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 23(4), pages 605-635, December.
- Lado, Nora & Martínez-Ros, Ester & Valenzuela, Ana, 2004. "Identifying successful marketing strategies by export regional destination," Open Access publications from Universidad Carlos III de Madrid info:hdl:10016/7661, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid.
- Cavusgil, S. Tamer & Naor, Jacob, 1987. "Firm and management characteristics as discriminators of export marketing activity," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 221-235, June.
- Dimitratos, Pavlos & Lioukas, Spyros & Carter, Sara, 2004. "The relationship between entrepreneurship and international performance: the importance of domestic environment," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 19-41, February.
- Majocchi, Antonio & Bacchiocchi, Emanuele & Mayrhofer, Ulrike, 2005. "Firm size, business experience and export intensity in SMEs: A longitudinal approach to complex relationships," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 14(6), pages 719-738, December.
- Fahy, John, 2002. "A resource-based analysis of sustainable competitive advantage in a global environment," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 57-77, February.
- Theodosiou, Marios & Leonidou, Leonidas C., 2003. "Standardization versus adaptation of international marketing strategy: an integrative assessment of the empirical research," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 141-171, April.
- Tse, Alan C. B. & Sin, Leo Y. M. & Yau, Oliver H. M. & Lee, Jenny S. Y. & Chow, Raymond, 2003. "Market orientation and business performance in a Chinese business environment," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 56(3), pages 227-239, March.
- Naidu, G. M. & Prasad, V. Kanti, 1994. "Predictors of export strategy and performance of small- and medium-sized firms," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 31(2-3), pages 107-115.
- Forsgren, M., 2002. "The concept of learning in the Uppsala internationalization process model: a critical review," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 257-277, June.
- Samiee, Saeed & Walters, Peter G. P., 1990. "Influence of firm size on export planning and performance," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 235-248, May.
- Wilkinson, Timothy & Brouthers, Lance Eliot, 2006. "Trade promotion and SME export performance," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 233-252, June.
- Leonidas C Leonidou & Constatine S Katsikeas, 1996. "The Export Development Process: An Integrative Review of Empirical Models," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 27(3), pages 517-551, September.
- Lu, Chin-Shan & Yang, Ching-Chiao, 2007. "An evaluation of the investment environment in international logistics zones: A Taiwanese manufacturer's perspective," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 107(1), pages 279-300, May.
- Shaker A. Zahra & Harry J. Sapienza & Per Davidsson, 2006. "Entrepreneurship and Dynamic Capabilities: A Review, Model and Research Agenda," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 43(4), pages 917-955, 06.
- Dunning, John H., 2000. "The eclectic paradigm as an envelope for economic and business theories of MNE activity," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 163-190, April.
- Leonidou, Leonidas C. & Katsikeas, Constantine S. & Samiee, Saeed, 2002. "Marketing strategy determinants of export performance: a meta-analysis," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 55(1), pages 51-67, January.
- Diamantopoulos, Adamantios & Souchon, Anne L., 1999. "Measuring Export Information Use: Scale Development and Validation," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 46(1), pages 1-14, September.
- Boter, Hakan & Holmquist, Carin, 1996. "Industry characteristics and internationalization processes in small firms," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 11(6), pages 471-487, November.
- Aw, Bee Yan & Chung, Sukkyun & Roberts, Mark J, 2000. "Productivity and Turnover in the Export Market: Micro-level Evidence from the Republic of Korea and Taiwan (China)," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 14(1), pages 65-90, January.
- Yu-Ching Chiao & Kuo-Pin Yang & Chwo-Ming Yu, 2006. "Performance, Internationalization, and Firm-specific Advantages of SMEs in a Newly-Industrialized Economy," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 26(5), pages 475-492, 06.
- Czinkota, Michael R. & Ursic, Michael, 1991. "Classification of exporting firms according to sales and growth into a share matrix," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 243-253, May.
- Lindstrand, Angelika & Melén, Sara & Nordman, Emilia Rovira, 2011. "Turning social capital into business: A study of the internationalization of biotech SMEs," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 194-212, April.
- Beleska-Spasova, Elena & Glaister, Keith W. & Stride, Chris, 2012. "Resource determinants of strategy and performance: The case of British exporters," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 47(4), pages 635-647.
- Beleska-Spasova, Elena & Glaister, Keith W., 2013. "Intrafirm causal ambiguity in an international context," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 32-46.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.