The export marketing information system: an integration of the extant knowledge
AbstractThis article provides an integrative review of extant knowledge on the export marketing information system, based on input received from 27 studies conducted on the subject. A detailed analysis of research into the constituent parts of the system revealed that this is too atheoretic, fragmented, repetitive, non-programmatic, and inconsistent. Despite these weaknesses, it was concluded that: (a) with the exception of company size, the role of antecedent factors in influencing information behavior is not very clear; (b) the emphasis of export information needs is on customers, competitors, and pricing; (c) information is mainly acquired on a person-to-person basis; (d) the dissemination of information, although superficially examined, tends to be bottom-up and casual (e) proper information utilization enhances the quality of export management decisions, while at the same time satisfying the individual needs of decision makers; and (f) export performance is positively influenced by the synergistic rather than the individual effect of information behavior components.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of World Business.
Volume (Year): 39 (2004)
Issue (Month): 1 (February)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/620401/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Diamantopoulos, Adamantios & Horncastle, Stephen, 1997. "Use of export marketing research by industrial firms: an application and extension of Deshpande and Zaltman's model," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 6(3), pages 245-270, June.
- Belich, Thomas J. & Dubinsky, Alan J., 1995. "Factors related to information acquisition in exporting organizations," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 1-11, May.
- Leonidou, Leonidas C., 2000. "Barriers to export management: an organizational and internationalization analysis," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 6(2), pages 121-148.
- Diamantopoulos, Adamantios & Souchon, Anne L., 1999. "Measuring Export Information Use: Scale Development and Validation," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 46(1), pages 1-14, September.
- Erwin Dichtl & Hans-Georg Koeglmayr & Stefan Mueller, 1990. "International Orientation as a Precondition for Export Success," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 21(1), pages 23-40, March.
- Finn Wiedersheim-Paul & Hans C Olson & Lawrence S Welch, 1978. "Pre-Export Activity: The First step in Internationalization," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 9(1), pages 47-58, March.
- Cavusgil, S. Tamer, 1985. "Guidelines for export market research," Business Horizons, Elsevier, vol. 28(6), pages 27-33.
- Nicholas Athanassiou & Douglas Nigh, 2000. "Internationalization, Tacit Knowledge and the Top Management Teams of MNCs," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 31(3), pages 471-487, September.
- Leonidas C Leonidou & Constatine S Katsikeas, 1996. "The Export Development Process: An Integrative Review of Empirical Models," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 27(3), pages 517-551, September.
- Carl H Christensen & Angela da Rocha & Rosane Kerbel Gertner, 1987. "An Empirical Investigation of Factors Influencing Exporting Success of Brazilian Firms," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 18(3), pages 61-77, September.
- Robert G Cooper & Elko J Kleinschmidt, 1985. "The Impact of Export Strategy on Export Sales Performance," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 16(1), pages 37-55, March.
- Reid, Stan, 1984. "Information acquisition and export entry decisions in small firms," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 141-157, June.
- Robertson, Kim R. & Wood, Van R., 2001. "The relative importance of types of information in the foreign market selection process," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 10(3), pages 363-379, June.
- Coyne, Kevin P., 1986. "Sustainable competitive advantage--What it is, what it isn't," Business Horizons, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 54-61.
- Stan D Reid, 1981. "The Decision-Maker and Export Entry and Expansion," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 12(2), pages 101-112, June.
- Samiee, Saeed & Walters, Peter G. P., 1990. "Influence of firm size on export planning and performance," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 235-248, May.
- Jan Johanson & Jan-Erik Vahlne, 1977. "The Internationalization Process of the Firm—A Model of Knowledge Development and Increasing Foreign Market Commitments," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 8(1), pages 23-32, March.
- Cavusgil, S. Tamer, 1984. "Differences among exporting firms based on their degree of internationalization," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 195-208, June.
- Ursic, Michael L. & Czinkota, Michael R., 1984. "An experience curve explanation of export expansion," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 159-168, June.
- Samiee, Saeed & Walters, Peter G. P., 1999. "Determinants of structured export knowledge acquisition," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 8(4), pages 373-397, August.
- Culpan, Refik, 1989. "Export behavior of firms: Relevance of firm size," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 207-218, May.
- Nguyen, Tho D. & Barrett, Nigel J. & Fletcher, Richard, 2006. "Information internalisation and internationalisation--Evidence from Vietnamese firms," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 15(6), pages 682-701, December.
- Christian Volpe Martincus & Jerónimo Carballo, 2010. "Export Promotion: Heterogeneous Programs and Heterogeneous Effects," IDB Publications 36759, Inter-American Development Bank.
- He, Xinming & Wei, Yingqi, 2011. "Linking market orientation to international market selection and international performance," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 20(5), pages 535-546, October.
- Christian Volpe Martincus & Jerónimo Carballo & Pablo M. García, 2010.
"Public Programs to Promote Firms' Exports in Developing Countries: Are There Heterogeneous Effects by Size Categories?,"
36764, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Christian Volpe Martincus & Jer�nimo Carballo & Pablo M. Garcia, 2012. "Public programmes to promote firms’ exports in developing countries: are there heterogeneous effects by size categories?," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 44(4), pages 471-491, February.
- Haahti, Antti & Madupu, Vivekananda & Yavas, Ugur & Babakus, Emin, 2005. "Cooperative strategy, knowledge intensity and export performance of small and medium sized enterprises," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 40(2), pages 124-138, May.
- Leonidou, Leonidas C. & Katsikeas, Constantine S., 2010. "Integrative assessment of exporting research articles in business journals during the period 1960-2007," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 63(8), pages 879-887, August.
- CUYVERS, Ludo & DUMONT, Michel & VIVIERS, W. & DE PELSMACKER, Patrick & MULLER, M.-L. & JEGERS, Marc & SAAYMAN, A., . "Export intensity and the competitive intelligence of exporting companies: Evidence from Belgium and South Africa," Working Papers 2006023, University of Antwerp, Faculty of Applied Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.