Examining determinants of export performance in small open economies
AbstractMaintaining the standard of living in small open economies requires engaging in international exchange. We report the results of a study that was conducted in Austria and refer to certain of the dramatic changes taking place in Europe. The objective is to examine decision-makers' experiences in managing companies in a small open economy on several factors impacting export performance. Analyzing the effects of multiple determinants on different export performance measures, our findings reveal that in addition to firm size, the most promising predictors of export performance are management's motives to internationalize and the use of a differentiation strategy. These findings are important because the latter two dimensions are management decision variables. The results of the study are relevant for managers operating in small open economies whose companies must consider both domestic and international developments.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of World Business.
Volume (Year): 35 (2000)
Issue (Month): 1 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/620401/description#description
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Dirk Boehe & Luciano Barin Cruz, 2010. "Corporate Social Responsibility, Product Differentiation Strategy and Export Performance," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 91(2), pages 325-346, February.
- Zaibet, Lokman, 2000. "Compliance To Haccp And Competitiveness Of Oman Fish Processing," International Food and Agribusiness Management Review, International Food and Agribusiness Management Association (IAMA), vol. 3(03).
- Man Zhang & Patriya Tansuhaj & James McCullough, 2009. "International entrepreneurial capability: The measurement and a comparison between born global firms and traditional exporters in China," Journal of International Entrepreneurship, Springer, vol. 7(4), pages 292-322, December.
- BOEHE, Dirk Michael, 2009. "Corporate Social Responsibility, Product Differentiation Strategy and Export Performance," Ibmec Working Papers wpe_186, Insper Working Paper, Insper Instituto de Ensino e Pesquisa.
- Shamyla Chaudry, 2007. "Increasing Global Competitiveness: A Case for the Pakistan Economy," Lahore Journal of Economics, Department of Economics, The Lahore School of Economics, vol. 12(Special E), pages 31-42, September.
- Parhizkar, Omid & Miller, Chad R. & Smith, Robert L., 2010. "Private sector development implications of the export performance determinants of U.S. small-medium forest enterprises to Mexico, Europe, and Asia," Forest Policy and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(5), pages 387-396, June.
- Christos Karelakis & Konstadinos Mattas & George Chryssochoidis, 2008. "Greek wine firms: determinants of export performance," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 24(2), pages 275-297.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.