Entrepreneurship and Dynamic Capabilities: A Review, Model and Research Agenda
AbstractThe emergent literature on dynamic capabilities and their role in value creation is riddled with inconsistencies, overlapping definitions, and outright contradictions. Yet, the theoretical and practical importance of developing and applying dynamic capabilities to sustain a firm's competitive advantage in complex and volatile external environments has catapulted this issue to the forefront of the research agendas of many scholars. In this paper, we offer a definition of dynamic capabilities, separating them from substantive capabilities as well as from their antecedents and consequences. We also present a set of propositions that outline (1) how substantive capabilities and dynamic capabilities are related to one another, (2) how this relationship is moderated by organizational knowledge and skills, (3) how organizational age affects the speed of utilization of dynamic capabilities and the learning mode used in organizational change, and (4) how organizational knowledge and market dynamism affect the likely value of dynamic capabilities. Our discussion and model help to delineate key differences in the dynamic capabilities that new ventures and established companies have, revealing a key source of strategic heterogeneity between these firms. Copyright Blackwell Publishing Ltd 2006.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal Journal of Management Studies.
Volume (Year): 43 (2006)
Issue (Month): 4 (06)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0022-2380
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Zahra, Shaker A. & Neubaum, Donald O. & Larraneta, Barbara, 2007. "Knowledge sharing and technological capabilities: The moderating role of family involvement," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 60(10), pages 1070-1079, October.
- Werner Boente & Monika Jarosch, 2011. "Gender Differences in Competitiveness, Risk Tolerance, and other Personality Traits: Do they contribute to the Gender Gap in Entrepreneurship?," Schumpeter Discussion Papers sdp11012, Universitätsbibliothek Wuppertal, University Library.
- Cosh, A. & Zhang, J., 2012. "Variety of Search and Innovation: A Comparative Study of US Manufacturing and Knowledge Intensive Business Services Sectors," ESRC Centre for Business Research - Working Papers wp431, ESRC Centre for Business Research.
- Cepeda, Gabriel & Vera, Dusya, 2007. "Dynamic capabilities and operational capabilities: A knowledge management perspective," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 60(5), pages 426-437, May.
- Foss, Nicolai J. & Klein, Peter G. & Kor, Yasemin Y. & Mahoney, Joseph T., 2006. "Entrepreneurship, Subjectivism, and the Resource-Based View: Towards a New Synthesis," Working Papers 06-0121, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, College of Business.
- Patricia Deflorin & Peter T. Ward, 2009. "Developing and Sustaining Capabilities – A Look into the Black Box," Working Papers 0109, University of Zurich, Institute for Strategy and Business Economics (ISU).
- Davidsson, Per & Steffens, Paul & Fitzsimmons, Jason, 2009. "Growing profitable or growing from profits: Putting the horse in front of the cart?," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 24(4), pages 388-406, July.
- Tom Broekel & Antje Schimke & Thomas Brenner, 2011.
"The effects of cooperative R&D subsidies and subsidized cooperation on employment growth,"
Working Papers on Innovation and Space
2011-04, Philipps University Marburg, Department of Geography.
- Broekel, Tom & Schimke, Antje & Brenner, Thomas, 2011. "The effects of cooperative R&D subsidies and subsidized cooperation on employment growth," Working Paper Series in Economics 34, Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT), Department of Economics and Business Engineering.
- Christian Keen & Yuanyuan Wu, 2011. "An ambidextrous learning model for the internationalization of firms from emerging economies," Journal of International Entrepreneurship, Springer, vol. 9(4), pages 316-339, December.
- Syed Anwar & Susan Tariq, 2011. "Evolution of entrepreneurship and organizational configurations at Zildjian, 1623–2010," Journal of International Entrepreneurship, Springer, vol. 9(3), pages 175-194, September.
- Maike Scherrer-Rathje & Patricia Deflorin & Gopesh Anand, 2010. "Outsourcing and its Impact on Manufacturing Flexibility: Contingencies Matter," Working Papers 0125, University of Zurich, Institute for Strategy and Business Economics (ISU).
- Claudio Vitari, 2009. "It Dynamic Capability Development In The Context Of Data Genesis Capability," Post-Print hal-00463282, HAL.
- Claudio Vitari & Gabriele Piccoli, & Lapo Mola & Cecilia Rossignoli, 2012. "Antecedents Of It Dynamic Capabilities In The Context Of The Digital Data Genesis," Grenoble Ecole de Management (Post-Print) hal-00808644, HAL.
- JosÃ© L. GonzÃ¡lez-PernÃa & IÃ±aki PeÃ±a-Legazkue, 2011. "The impact of export-oriented entrepreneurship on regional economic growth," ERSA conference papers ersa11p1526, European Regional Science Association.
- Rasmussen, Einar & Borch, Odd Jarl, 2010. "University capabilities in facilitating entrepreneurship: A longitudinal study of spin-off ventures at mid-range universities," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(5), pages 602-612, June.
- Lucio Cassia & Tommaso Minola & Stefano Paleari, 2011. "Entrepreneurship, technology and change: a review and proposal for an interpretative framework," Working Papers 1103, Department of Economics and Technology Management, University of Bergamo.
- André van Stel & Lorraine Uhlaner & Haibo Zhou & Valerie Duplat, 2012. "Disentangling the effects of organizational capabilities, innovation and firm size on SME sales growth," Scales Research Reports H201211, EIM Business and Policy Research.
- Yang, Yi & Narayanan, V.K. & Zahra, Shaker, 2009. "Developing the selection and valuation capabilities through learning: The case of corporate venture capital," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 261-273, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.